Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Range OK but Green sucks big time

Go down 
+19
Begbie
rsenal
solarpop
Hogan
dmateo
sandkie
Technospaz
mengteck71
p3nboy
kwannick
slinger
Duval_S
golf_snowman
Ssquirrel
duffader
simon1982
asahi
eiji
jac_mav
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jac_mav
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Range OK but Green sucks big time Empty
PostSubject: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:06 pm

Dear Bros and Sistas...started to learn to play golf a couple of months ago with a pro in Laguna CC. Hitting quite straight at the range..but recently went to play at the 9 holes at NSRCC and Mandai..horrific experience.

Either hitting on the top of the ball or the shots go all over the place. Very demoralised. But determine to fight on.

My pro keep saying that golf is about feel...he could teach the techniques..and the rest is all up to you!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:10 pm

the range mats can hide a lot of bad shots, a badly duffed shot can still fly pretty far on the range mats but may just pop up 1-10m on the fairway.

a good golf pro should be able to teach you how to bring your game from the range to the course.

Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:12 pm

Dun worry.....with more practice and greens experience, will get better.

Work hard.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:14 pm

yeah, with practice it would get better. just ensure that you have a pre-shot routine, don't think too much while over the ball and trust your swing.
Back to top Go down
simon1982
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
simon1982

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:17 pm

it sounds so much like me...
in range thought i am ok and boy i was so wrong...totally different in green.

well you are not alone.. practice more and usual when i make rubbish shots in green, this spurs me to practice more!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:24 pm

A good pro dun teach techniques, he finds your mistake.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Ya, happens to me too.
Range OK but Green sucks big time...

so I quit going to the range albino
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:02 pm

Actually hor, how can the pro say the rest is up to you!?!??

Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:04 pm

jac_mav wrote:
Dear Bros and Sistas...started to learn to play golf a couple of months ago with a pro in Laguna CC. Hitting quite straight at the range..but recently went to play at the 9 holes at NSRCC and Mandai..horrific experience.

Either hitting on the top of the ball or the shots go all over the place. Very demoralised. But determine to fight on.

My pro keep saying that golf is about feel...he could teach the techniques..and the rest is all up to you!

hi

which pro are you learning from ?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Quote :
duffader wrote:
A good pro dun teach techniques, he finds your mistake.

si pek Profound !!!
Back to top Go down
jac_mav
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:08 pm

eh..better not to name him la. He is saying that a lot of it is about feeling....you can learn how to swing, how to put etc...but you must have that feel.

Do you guys reckon should practise more on the fairways than in range?
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Range practice complements green play.
Key is not amount of time spent at range but quality.

Do yr range practice with a purpose e.g driving, pitching/chipping etc
Back to top Go down
jac_mav
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:12 pm

More often than not..i always hit over the ball...anyway to help to get under it instead?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Quote :
jac_mav wrote:
eh..better not to name him la. He is saying that a lot of it is about feeling....you can learn how to swing, how to put etc...but you must have that feel.

Do you guys reckon should practise more on the fairways than in range?

If you were a soldier...where will you like to train ...... first ?

its all about balance....the right balance of training......mine is 5% @ range, 95% while playing
Back to top Go down
jac_mav
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Ok will throw in more hours at the short courses....but very stress especially there are people waiting for you at each hole..

Must take more leave for golf then Smile
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:20 pm

If you just started to learn a couple of months; don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Many of us who've been playing for years still top the ball and shots go all over the place.

Maybe it's just nerves getting to you.
When you go to the range, try to figure out what you are correctly when the ball flight is good; then when you go to the green, try to figure out what you are doing differently..

Some days you won't be able to figure out; just enjoy the outdoors and be thankful for the opportunity to be out on the greens.... albino
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Pwah!

Tips from TSS grandmaster, scribble down.
Smile
Back to top Go down
jac_mav
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:36 pm

a big thank you to all the advice!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
If you just started to learn a couple of months; don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Many of us who've been playing for years still top the ball and shots go all over the place.

Maybe it's just nerves getting to you.
When you go to the range, try to figure out what you are correctly when the ball flight is good; then when you go to the green, try to figure out what you are doing differently..

Some days you won't be able to figure out; just enjoy the outdoors and be thankful for the opportunity to be out on the greens.... albino

wise words from wise man! Beer
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:

apparently , u have yet to golf with CCC in the same buggy.....
Back to top Go down
kwannick
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
kwannick

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:20 pm

jac_mav wrote:

I like that statement. U have great attitude! Hang in there!

Hit at range n on green is v different. Only way to get better on greens is to play more. Thats something I firmly believe!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:21 pm

He has and survived.
Back to top Go down
p3nboy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
p3nboy

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Most ppl hit well at range bcos they @@ at the ball. When playing at course, they @@ at where the ball goes.....including me.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:41 pm

range mats are flat and u have many shots to get 1 good shots

on course, there is alot uneven lie and u only hve 1 chance Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 4:36 pm

There's nothing to lose at the range... quite the opposite on the course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Range OK but Green sucks big time   Range OK but Green sucks big time I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Range OK but Green sucks big time
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next