Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putting gripping - left hand under right hand

Go down 
+3
pushslice
audi
andrew-golf
7 posters
AuthorMessage
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

Putting gripping - left hand under right hand Empty
PostSubject: Putting gripping - left hand under right hand   Putting gripping - left hand under right hand I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 8:32 am

Noticed many players in the European tour uses the

Left hand under right hand way of gripping their putter

Example Tomas Bjorn and Alexander Noren

But almost none on the PGA tour

Anyone here has experiences to share if you r using this way of gripping

Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Putting gripping - left hand under right hand   Putting gripping - left hand under right hand I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 8:40 am

maybe they are lefty?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Putting gripping - left hand under right hand   Putting gripping - left hand under right hand I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 9:08 am

Furyk uses left hand low or "cross handed". Appleby did too. Younger guys: Ricky Fowler and Bill Horschel

It's meant to keep the left wrist dead. I used it for a year with a lefty putter so still right hand low but going to the wrong side. Laughing
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Putting gripping - left hand under right hand   Putting gripping - left hand under right hand I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 9:15 am

pushslice wrote:
Furyk uses left hand low or "cross handed". Appleby did too. Younger guys: Ricky Fowler and Bill Horschel

It's meant to keep the left wrist dead. I used it for a year with a lefty putter so still right hand low but going to the wrong side. Laughing

oh yes !

I saw ricky and Billy used it.. always have the impression that they are playing in the european tour haha

im using it with interlocking fingers..

short putts are easy to control, but long putts need to revert back to the traditional way of gripping
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Putting gripping - left hand under right hand   Putting gripping - left hand under right hand I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Anyone tried chipping with left hand low.....??
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Putting gripping - left hand under right hand   Putting gripping - left hand under right hand I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 4:29 pm

I've being putting with my left hand lower since I started playing the game. It was awkward at first but now, I couldn't putt any other way.
Back to top Go down
9points
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
9points

PostSubject: Re: Putting gripping - left hand under right hand   Putting gripping - left hand under right hand I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 5:02 pm

oh yes !

I saw ricky and Billy used it.. always have the impression that they are playing in the european tour haha

im using it with interlocking fingers..

short putts are easy to control, but long putts need to revert back to the traditional way of gripping[/quote]

That's exactly what RF is doing. He will grip cross handed on short putts and grip the conventional way on long putts. Came across an article on this as RF thinks cross handed gives him the best chance of making those putts, while he goes back to conventional way on long putts for better distance control and feel.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Putting gripping - left hand under right hand   Putting gripping - left hand under right hand I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 6:22 pm

9 points

Is that acceptable?
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Putting gripping - left hand under right hand   Putting gripping - left hand under right hand I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 7:24 pm

I find the reverse grip keeps my putt online for longer distances.
More consistent for straight putts, only issue is that not much feel for me.

Bro Hardrock uses reverse grip, he can prob give more insight.

Back to top Go down
9points
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
9points

PostSubject: Re: Putting gripping - left hand under right hand   Putting gripping - left hand under right hand I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 10:53 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
9 points

Is that acceptable?

Some might find it hard to adapt and adjust to one's comfort level with the different gripping methods with different putts.

However, there's really no right or wrong as long as one feel comfortable doing it and by doing so, it helps to get the job done, why not Smile

I've tried putting cross handed for a short period of time and from personal experience, short putts were really good, but anything beyond med to long putts, I had a slight problem getting the pace right.

There's no harm in exploring, keeping your options open until you find one that you feel most comfortable with that make your putts-make percentage sky high Smile

As long as you get the basic fundamentals right, grip wise it is really personal preference, depending on which method one finds comfortable with. Be it conventional overlap, interlock, cross handed or even claw for that matter. Heck, as long as one keeps making putts, it's all that matters Smile

Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Putting gripping - left hand under right hand   Putting gripping - left hand under right hand I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 11:08 pm

"Thumbs up" 9 points

Played wi a darn good player today

He used a left grip lower n right grip higher

He was making putts from all over the greens less than 15 ft...

Very inspiring
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting gripping - left hand under right hand   Putting gripping - left hand under right hand I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putting gripping - left hand under right hand
Page 1 of 1