Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weak left hand

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CPT.WONG
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Weak left hand Empty
PostSubject: Weak left hand   Weak left hand I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 10:20 pm

I created a thread regarding a strain in the left hand aft hitting 100 balls.

I realized it's not strain but my left hand felt very weak. It's like when i open and close my hand, i can feel a little strain in the joints of my fingers.

I kept on thinking why is this so? I used to train on a taylormade steel shaft with my coach. I'm now using the new Nike slingshot steel. Could it be tht the nike slingshot is a little heavy at the front?

Can anyone advise?
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Weak left hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weak left hand   Weak left hand I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 11:21 pm

I think it may be because of grip. Could be the heavier club head causing you to grip tighter than you normally do.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

Weak left hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weak left hand   Weak left hand I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 11:31 pm

CPT.WONG wrote:
I created a thread regarding a strain in the left hand aft hitting 100 balls.

I realized it's not strain but my left hand felt very weak. It's like when i open and close my hand, i can feel a little strain in the joints of my fingers.

I kept on thinking why is this so? I used to train on a taylormade steel shaft with my coach. I'm now using the new Nike slingshot steel. Could it be tht the nike slingshot is a little heavy at the front?

Can anyone advise?

1. Were you fitted for the iron set, i.e. the correct shaft weight, flex, swing weight for your swing? What is the swing weight of your irons, and what is your swing speed?

If not, the steel shaft, and the swing weight, may be too heavy for you.

2. Do you know what your wrists, especially the left wrist, should be doing through impact, and how to do it?

If not, as mentioned previously, you may be flipping. Flipping is a major cause of wrist injury, especially when combined with too-stiff shaft/too heavy swing weight, causing one to hit the ground often and hard instead of making contact with the ball first.

What is flipping?

"Most women and beginner golfers have not yet developed adequate forearm power and thus have weaker wrists and grip strengths. Many beginners are taught to hold the clubs in more neutral positions and if they do not understand the concept of “grip strength” or how hard to hold the club, the wrists will break through the course of the swing. [This breaking of the wrist is flipping.] This is the basic underlying problem in the grip that causes injury."

Here's are some good links.

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_13_3_1.htm

http://www.zimbio.com/Sports+Medicine/articles/22/Golf+Wrist+Pain+Wrist+Injuries
Back to top Go down
CPT.WONG
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Weak left hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weak left hand   Weak left hand I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 12:32 am

yes i think i might have gripped pretty tight. Tht's cuz i want to straighten my left arm as much as possible and close my right hand in when i swing.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

Weak left hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weak left hand   Weak left hand I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 6:49 am

CPT.WONG wrote:
yes i think i might have gripped pretty tight. Tht's cuz i want to straighten my left arm as much as possible and close my right hand in when i swing.

The grip should be firm, but quite soft. Firm enough to keep the club from flying off, but so soft that the club is free to turn in the hands, as though the wrists are well-oiled hinges.

Also, if you are hitting balls off the mat at the range, check to ensure you are not hitting down on the mat too hard. Wrist injury is more common on the mat than on grass at the range for this reason, especially if the club hits the ground first before the ball.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Weak left hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weak left hand   Weak left hand I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weak left hand
Page 1 of 1