Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Qn:Forged Irons...

Go down 
+14
botak
kuuligan
Birdman
S70B
shotah
Ssquirrel
poresia
watermyforrest
Salty Dog
mervyntan
eiji
daveaha
Technospaz
sebastianlim
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Qn:Forged Irons... Empty
PostSubject: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi guys would want to check .. Is it true that for the forged irons if you managed to hit the " sweet spot".. the feel is much better than those normal irons like taylormade burner , R7( btw. wad kind of irons are they called?)..

on the other hand .. is forged irons much more difficult to hit as compared to those burners. r7 etc??..

looks like some of the mizuno's design is nice and attractive Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:01 pm

I don't own forged irons but have been told numerous times that forged irons, when hit at their sweet spot, would feel awesome (better than cast irons).
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I don't own forged irons but have been told numerous times that forged irons, when hit at their sweet spot, would feel awesome (better than cast irons).

tis is also wad i heard too...

is all mizuno irons all are forged?...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:05 pm

sebastianlim wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

I think many of their current iron offerings are forged irons but I don't know if all mizuno irons are forged.
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:06 pm

sebastianlim wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

I can attest to that. I used to play with R7 (cast iron). After got poisoned by my friend's Mp57, I decided to buy Mp52, and it's.... awesome Smile

I think latest mizzy irons are forged....
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:06 pm

no, not all mizzies are forged, they do have some ranges that are cast.

i am still new to the game but the feel of forge is significantly different to cast, softer feel. and feel is subjective as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:07 pm

this is actually a misconception, it depends on the steel used, shaft combi, etc.

i actually had a brief discussion with birdman about this yesterday. conclusion is that actually, cast and forged has no difference in feel.

anyway, i am very sure there are experts who would be more than willing and keen to share their deep wealth of expertise.
Back to top Go down
Salty Dog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:09 pm

Forged irons are usually more difficult to hit not because of the forging, but because the irons are usually made for better players and these irons are more difficult to use for beginners. Not all forged irons are for better players, there are Mizuno MX models which are quite forgiving and they are also forged.

Forged irons when strucked on the sweet spot will give you a buttery feeling unlike the hard feel of the cast iron. That's all i know.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:10 pm

SD... you're tempting me to pick up forged irons!
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Technospaz wrote:

Come lah, join the mizzies... (dunno how many of us have tried to tempt you to do this...)
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:30 pm

Get ikasu lah bro TS... then you can join the ikasu vs prototype match ;-)
Kills 2 bird with 1 stone.
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:41 pm

hi folks,

from my experience, forged irons will give a better feel if u hit sweet spot.

i just changed to forged irons.

problem is forged irons are usually smaller head so it is less forgiving.

in additon, most forged irons are muscle back and not cavity back so that will make the ball more difficult to launch unless u hit sweet spot.

mizuno MP series are all muscle back so more suitable for mid to low handicappers.

Mx-100 n 200 are both cavity back but 100 is cast iron and 200 is forged iron.

t
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:42 pm

M u s t r e s i s t.

Just regripped all my irons so will stick to my X-20s.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:46 pm

What is this "buttery feeling" that I always hear ppl say about forged irons?

That day I took the block of butter out of the fridge and stuck the butter knife into it, still felt quite hard.. then I left the butter out for around 15mins and then tried again and this time it felt very mushy?? Either way, it didn't feel very good?? Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I think maybe i should bring a stick of butter to the range and tee it up and see if I can replicate the "buttery" feeling that the better players talk of. Any tips on what temperature should the butter be before I try this out?

Think I'm not ready to play forged irons until I can get this feeling?
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:53 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
What is this "buttery feeling" that I always hear ppl say about forged irons?

That day I took the block of butter out of the fridge and stuck the butter knife into it, still felt quite hard.. then I left the butter out for around 15mins and then tried again and this time it felt very mushy?? Either way, it didn't feel very good?? Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I think maybe i should bring a stick of butter to the range and tee it up and see if I can replicate the "buttery" feeling that the better players talk of. Any tips on what temperature should the butter be before I try this out?

Think I'm not ready to play forged irons until I can get this feeling?

It's just a soft and sweet feeling when you hit it. Just an analogy, not directly having anything to do with butter. Can pick up jam or chocolate spread too for example !
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 5:05 pm

Technospaz wrote:

u want my ikasu?
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 5:14 pm

If you ask me... the feel is the same when you hit at the sweet spot for both cast and forged. And there is no such thing as forged harder or easier to hit. Its the same. Bottom line, its your swing that dictates your shots and not the equipment. Alot of tour players also using cast irons.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 5:16 pm

mervyntan wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

u want my ikasu?

Nah, I'm going to stick to my X-20s.
Back to top Go down
Salty Dog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Technospaz wrote:
mervyntan wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

u want my ikasu?

Bro,

Not that i try to psycho you, but i used to own a X-14. There is no comparison with the mizzy.
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 5:56 pm

Salty Dog wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
mervyntan wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

u want my ikasu?

Bro,

Not that i try to psycho you, but i used to own a X-14. There is no comparison with the mizzy.

Wonder how long TS can resist... Christmas is coming, and GH normally will have sale during this period...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 2:50 am

Honestly, there shouldn't be any diff in both when you hit it in the sweetspot.

Manufacturers have found out that 'Feel' is actually directed related to 'Sound' at impact.

I mentioned before in another thread that there is an article somewhere on the internet where they conducted a test with golfers hitting brandless forged and cast irons with earplugs on and the overwhelming number couldn't tell the diff.

Whether an iron will feel 'softer' at impact is still debatable. There are good cast irons out there like TM's Tour Preferred Irons and R7 TP. I am really quite anti-TM but i tried these and they dun really feel any diff from other forged clubs I have hit.

My Vokey wedges are cast too and they also dun feel any different to my Forged Tourstage X-Wedge.

I choose forged clubs because the cast offerings hasn't been up to expectations in their design. Also, forged is the way to go for me cos the lies and lofts can be adjusted easily if they are off over time.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 5:41 am

Having played first forged and then cast, I must admit that I thought I felt a difference (Rex may be right about the sound, but then again I haven't hit both with earplugs on). My cast irons were the X14s which I felt rebounded off the harder face really quickly, as compared to the forgings which seemed to cling to the ball a little longer for a perceived softer feel. And there are some who say that castings feel the same no matter where on the face you make contact and forgings give better feedback on mishits. More a fallacy, it has nothing to do with being cast of forged and all to do with perimeter weighting expanding the sweet spot, of which was found mostly on castings for the simple reason it was easier and cheaper to do so than on forgings. On the flip side, let's take a look at the Mizuno forged MP series. Mull on how some have said the forged perimeter weighted MP57s feel hollow compared to the muscle backed MP67s. Which is why the MP52s now have a muscle bar and MP58s have a titanium one for a more solid feel at impact.

A lot of what is being discussed on this thread may have held true give or take some 25 years ago, when the science of metallurgy was not as advanced, and cast/forged irons were purely just metal epoxied to steel shafts. Not so in this day and age where polymers and resins are slapped onto iron heads and attached to graphite shafts, thereby significantly altering the feel and blurring the lines between that of forged and cast irons. Case in point, the cast TaylorMade Tour Preferred vs the forged Titleist AP2s, both feature some form of sound and feel tuning polymer insert.

I currently play Cleveland CG4 Tour with Graffaloy Pro Launch Blue shafts. Cast clubs, and believe me, they feel as "buttery" as forgings, if not more so. I have put them in the hands of low handicappers, one a girl who played competitively, and she loved the feel compared to her own forgings, the other was a fellow GR brother who felt they were softer than the MP 57s. Although cast, Cleveland infused more carbon molecules into the steel used for a much softer metal, and I proved it by badly dinging the leading edge and sole of my 8 iron out of a fairway bunker at Sentosa. Coupled with graphite shafts, can they get any more "buttery"?

In this day and age of such advanced science, the discussion of castings versus forgings is almost a moot point as feel, essentially the vibration of the club at impact transmitted to the hands, can be managed in many varied ways through the use of multi-material technology and manufacturing processes. Polymer badges on castings to feel more like forged, and perimeter weighted forgings to play more like castings. How close one is to the other is a discussion for another day.

And perhaps this link to the article Rex might have been had in mind will help clear the fog some. And maybe those who swear by the feel of forged shouldn't use the term "butter" anymore, cos apparently, butter is cast! cheers

http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+wedge+guy/golf+equipment/5-2908-Cast_vs_Forged_The_Real_Truth.html
Back to top Go down
kuuligan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 10:23 am

alot comes to personal preference. I have stated many times, and many might be tired of hearing this, but whether it be cast or forged, we just get accustomed to what we have and adjust. Then after we get accustomed to our equipment, we feel comfortable with it. Good for player A might not mean its good for player B or C.

My experience after using cast cavity back irons with graphite S for over a decade and then switching to forged with steel R, I find with the muscle back, I get more control over the ball. Steel R shaft does tend to offer abit of play and my ball flies abit higher than I'm used to but based on contact feel, I dont get the "gunshot" sound I had with my cast irons.

I was losing about 20meters when i first switched to forged, but after making a few changes, i gained it all back and managed to add some distance Smile

No more cast irons for me
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 10:27 am

kuuligan wrote:
alot comes to personal preference. I have stated many times, and many might be tired of hearing this, but whether it be cast or forged, we just get accustomed to what we have and adjust. Then after we get accustomed to our equipment, we feel comfortable with it. Good for player A might not mean its good for player B or C.

Bingo! Smile
Back to top Go down
kuuligan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 11:38 am

...and bingo was his name-o..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Qn:Forged Irons...   Qn:Forged Irons... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Qn:Forged Irons...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next