Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weekend golf in Singapore

Go down 
+4
Duval_S
simoner
hkhamateur
JimB976
8 posters
AuthorMessage
JimB976
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Weekend golf in Singapore Empty
PostSubject: Weekend golf in Singapore   Weekend golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 10:33 pm

it's been a while since I played on a saturday morning in Singapore, even though I am a member of Warren G&CC. Today i remembered why it is totally unadvisable...

We were late teeing off because being way down the order, this is normal for a saturday morning, since once the backlog starts it just escalates so any flights after 8am are inevitably late getting started. It is hard enough to get a weekend flight anyway, because i have a job so cannot unfortunately be at the club in person at 4.30pm the previous Thursday to line up and book a flight, anyway that's another story!

So, we finally get underway but from the very first hole the flight in front of us decide that not only are the playing for the combined four majors of golf (thereby putting everything, even what appear to be 12" gimmes...) but they are also damned gonna take their time and take as many practice swings as they like. One guy, let's call him the cowboy, is the worst offender i have ever seen on a golf course, this guy needs about a dozen swings before he steps up and hits the ball, which he usually does pretty badly. He made Kevin Na look like a speed golfer. Of course the flight in front is also playing off of the blue tees which is WAY beyond their ability, meaning their drives are short and any chance of hitting greens in reg are simply not gonna happen. However, they are determined to go for every single green (even though after three holes it is clear that reaching the very light green dancefloor is as likely as any of these guys turning pro) and we are therefore forced to wait for them on every hole as they have a total misalignment between ambition and ability and are somehow convinced that they can play attacking golf.

Fast forward 4hrs and 50mins later and the group had finished well over a hole behind the flight in front, had been warned twice by the marshals to speed up during play and finally accompanied own the entire last hole to get them off the course, yet these guys had the skins of rhinoceros' - nothing was going to deter them from playing it their way, who gives a crap about anyone else on the golf course, eh?

The flight behind us gave up after 16 holes and as they drove past us they were laughing because of course, being an entire hole behind, they were waiting on every tee box we were as the cowboy and his kakis attempted to ruin as many peoples day as possible.

Anyone that is familiar with the rules of golf, which in my opinion should be all of us, since it is the fascinating rules of this game that make it so spellbinding and addictive, will know that on the first page of the rule book the words "consideration for other players" appear. A little further down that page is the passage on pace of play, it says -

"It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. if it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group."

Remember, this is on the first page of the rules of golf. I can honestly say that in 14 years of playing golf here I have been let through by the group in front once. As a side-note, there is a very interesting movement in the US called "tee it forward"...
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Weekend golf in Singapore   Weekend golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 11:20 pm

Mate, yr displeased was noted here. Neutral
Bt actually it shld be the marshal duty to read the situation and apply the necessary measure as to ensure a smooth flow of play. Wink
ie: after final warning, penalized them and skip a hole (par 5 prefered) and proceed to the next hole n so on. This will help ease the situation better.
Back to top Go down
JimB976
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Weekend golf in Singapore   Weekend golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 11:26 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
Bt actually it shld be the marshal duty to read the situation and apply the necessary measure as to ensure a smooth flow of play. Wink
ie: after final warning, penalized them and skip a hole (par 5 prefered) and proceed to the next hole n so on. This will help ease the situation better.

thanks for positive reply (yes, i was feeling pretty frustrated when venting off earlier!) but i really believe the marshals at most clubs are generally a bit timid in solving the situations like this because they get a huge mouthful from the offending golfers, which of course is totally wrong
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Weekend golf in Singapore   Weekend golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 6:37 am

Basically it's a marshal's job to get these people moving. The ones at MBGC are really on the ball. They even remind you to keep pace even there's no flight behind.

There's once I was playing a charity event at Sentosa's Tanjong Course when the marshal actually told the flight in front of me to skip the 9th hole cause they were holding up others behind n despite being a charity tournament.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Weekend golf in Singapore   Weekend golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 11:21 am

If we can find a stop to slow play

I think the world will be free of violence liao

However I think its fair for u to just walk up to them and inform them that they are slow...after the game
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Weekend golf in Singapore   Weekend golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 11:55 am

Duval_S wrote:
If we can find a stop to slow play

I think the world will be free of violence liao

However I think its fair for u to just walk up to them and inform them that they are slow...after the game

Bro Duval, better leave it to the Marshal on duty or worse the club management as to avoid argument between frt or behind flights thus tat ll jammed up the course. Neutral
U may nt stop violence in this manner too. Wink
I strongly believe everyone here or outside GR just wanna enjoy our game, companionship n our weekend right! Very Happy
Cheers! cheers
Back to top Go down
Ngn52
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Weekend golf in Singapore   Weekend golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:20 pm

To JimB976, since you'e the member of WGC, you should and able to file a complaint to the commitees, they should take action against this group of snail golfers!! Sleep More over they been warning twice??
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Weekend golf in Singapore   Weekend golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:55 pm

I have asked for permission to overtake before and have also asked people go overtake my flight. some are nice. some are not. but golfers in. General zhould be able to play faster.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Weekend golf in Singapore   Weekend golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 3:35 pm

simoner wrote:
Basically it's a marshal's job to get these people moving. The ones at MBGC are really on the ball. They even remind you to keep pace even there's no flight behind.

There's once I was playing a charity event at Sentosa's Tanjong Course when the marshal actually told the flight in front of me to skip the 9th hole cause they were holding up others behind n despite being a charity tournament.

Let me start by saying I'm all for Marshalls taking initiative to push slower flights who are holding up other flights. Nobody likes to play a round of golf over 5 hours long. This morning I played 9 holes (nsrcc navy changi) with my wife and we completed in under 2 hours.

As for marshalls in mbgc, they have a 'special' place in my heart because they apply the other extreme, i.e. to the book without the need to apply common sense. When I play mbgc, I feel that We are not allowed to play a hole badly. If We do, the Marshall will hound us and remind us to speed up even on a day where there is NO flight behind. Their presence, of course compound the problem more as some golfers play worse with them lurking around.

To the thread starter, I empathize with your experience. Hopefully it is a exception rather than the norm in your club. Please keep the faith, don't lose heart.
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Weekend golf in Singapore   Weekend golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 7:54 pm

hkhamateur wrote:

Normally in my club is the par 3 that get choked up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weekend golf in Singapore   Weekend golf in Singapore I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weekend golf in Singapore
Page 1 of 1