Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf grips - regular or mid-size

Go down 
+7
Technospaz
weesern
golfer
Cyp_PGA
mUAr_cHEe
Agumon
golfzilla
11 posters
AuthorMessage
golfzilla
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf grips - regular or mid-size Empty
PostSubject: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:38 am

Hi folks,

I am just trying to see why will ppl wants to use a mid-size grip or regular size with couple layers of tape.

I have tried mid-size grip, and with a more "complete" grip, i tend to "hook" the ball a lot more, maybe because of a better stronger grip, hence my right hand becomes a lot more dominant?

also will grip size affect the swing path, shot trajectory and etc? newbie in this area... Very Happy

cant find good literature out there, wonder if any seasoned golfer can help advise? thanks
Back to top Go down
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:59 am

as a guide.. USUALLY if grip is too SMALL ..u tend to draw/hook.
grip too BIG.. tend to fade/ slice

if had enlarge the grip n still draw.. maybe its the flex of the shaft.. too whippy

hope i am right..
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 12:14 pm

go to a good clubfitter... he can sort that out for u.
Back to top Go down
golfzilla
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanks all for the advise.

I am currently using stock grip with 1 layer of tape. I guess the best bet is to visit a good clubfitter. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 9:14 pm

depend on the hands size but i like mid size grip .... because small grip tendenci to slip a lot

but go to pga coach or any club fiiter like mark higgs in ubi avenue 1 ,Ubi centre , 8 floor, the name is golf studio
Back to top Go down
golfer
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: grip   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 9:28 pm

how do you know whether your club grip is the right size ?
too small or too big?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 9:33 pm

http://www.golfpride.com/Tips/RegrippingTips.aspx

Hope it helps
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 10:48 pm

Best to get it checked with a grip fitter.

Personally, I prefer thicker grips. I'd like to know that I'm holding a club in my hands rather than a chopstick. I recently regripped all my irons and I really enjoy playing with them now. Better hold on the club, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 11:16 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Best to get it checked with a grip fitter.

Personally, I prefer thicker grips. I'd like to know that I'm holding a club in my hands rather than a chopstick. I recently regripped all my irons and I really enjoy playing with them now. Better hold on the club, IMHO.

I want to regrip my hybrid and driver too... seems too thin to my liking...
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 11:18 pm

I've color-coded my grips too Smile

Orange - Driver, FW, Hybrids
Blue - Irons
Red - Wedges
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:00 am

From the golf size, you can tell. I'm a size 26. Sometimes even mid-size grip are not enough for me. Currently I play with 3 layers of tape on tour velvets. Thinking of changing soon though...

Agumon's theory is the first time I've heard it. It's interesting but if there's some logic behind it, maybe it's true.
Back to top Go down
Mizuno
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Mizuno

PostSubject: Re: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:48 am

golfer wrote:
how do you know whether your club grip is the right size ?
too small or too big?

I believe it is best to ask clubfitter to let one tries a variety of grips; other than the size, I think the grip material matters too, such as how it feel on your bare right hand (soft, hard, rough)...

for me, if the grip is too small or too big, I will feel as if the grip trying to get out of my left hand and I will end up holding it tighter... ** may be it is just my fat hand **
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:53 am

rocky wrote:
From the golf size, you can tell. I'm a size 26. Sometimes even mid-size grip are not enough for me. Currently I play with 3 layers of tape on tour velvets. Thinking of changing soon though...

Agumon's theory is the first time I've heard it. It's interesting but if there's some logic behind it, maybe it's true.

it may have some truth in it. if you hold something small like a pencil and turn, slight movement will cause the pencil to rotate quite a bit. If you are holding a barrel, slight movement of the hand hardly turn the barrel.

But...I am inclined to think that the few mm difference in diameter is not going to cause you any slice or hook other than discomfort....
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf grips - regular or mid-size   Golf grips - regular or mid-size I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf grips - regular or mid-size
Page 1 of 1