Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges Empty
PostSubject: TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges   TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 2:43 pm

TaylorMade’s TP wedges with xFT (exchangeable face technology) have hit a speed bump.

Although the U.S. Golf Association has approved the wedges, it has told TaylorMade not to sell interchangeable faces with aggressive U grooves. Faces with smaller grooves that meet 2010 PGA Tour specifications are OK, according to the USGA, but faces with larger grooves are not.

TaylorMade immediately appealed the USGA decision, and chief technical officer Benoit Vincent traveled to USGA headquarters in Far Hills, N.J., in October to present his case. Vincent said he would discuss the wedges after Nov. 9, when a ruling on the appeal is expected.

The wedges, from 50 to 64 degrees, are scheduled for release early next year. A face plate can be removed and replaced in a few minutes, using the same torque wrench designed for TaylorMade drivers.

Equipment appeals are heard three times per year by the USGA, during regularly scheduled meetings of the Executive Committee and the Equipment Standards Committee.

TaylorMade’s argument is simple: Golf club manufacturers are allowed to produce wedges with larger, aggressive grooves during 2010, so TaylorMade should be allowed to sell face plates with the same grooves during the same period.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2011, manufacturers can no longer make or distribute any clubs with the larger grooves.

PGA Tour player Rory Sabbatini used one of the wedges with xFT during the Turning Stone Resort Championship in October, but he checked with USGA officials first to make sure he was not in violation of any rule.

USGA senior technical director Dick Rugge declined to talk about the decision to prohibit the sale of face plates with aggressive grooves, saying, “We never comment on matters like this. You’ll have to talk with the company.”
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges   TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 3:12 pm

Aiyah... use the handwedge instead, lah.
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges   TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 3:46 pm

Has anyone seen the wedges before ? I think I saw it somewhere, but can't remember where....
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges   TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 4:08 pm

daveaha wrote:
Has anyone seen the wedges before ? I think I saw it somewhere, but can't remember where....

http://www.golfrepublic.org/golf-equipment-f7/new-tm-removable-face-wedges-for-2010-t1266.htm
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges   TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Aiyah... use the handwedge instead, lah.

Yah.. handwedge is very good... check with MT... he is the founder and master of handwedge:)
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges   TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 7:36 pm

"Beginning Jan. 1, 2011, manufacturers can no longer make or distribute any clubs with the larger grooves."

Does this means, we should be be buying all the wedges we need now and now worry from 2011 onward?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges   TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 7:50 pm

Khorkar wrote:
"Beginning Jan. 1, 2011, manufacturers can no longer make or distribute any clubs with the larger grooves."

Does this means, we should be be buying all the wedges we need now and now worry from 2011 onward?

only if you play like pro , play in tourney, or think like you play like pro.

for me, I declare liao...I donno what groove my wedges but not changing...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges   TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TaylorMade, USGA at odds over new wedges
Page 1 of 1