Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting

Go down 
+6
jeffman88
Kenneth
essentiale
jurongtiger
entity
simoner
10 posters
AuthorMessage
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting Empty
PostSubject: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Belly putter might be ban wef 1 Jan 2016.

This applies too for any club that "anchors" on any part of the body and doesn't form part of the grip.

Interesting read:
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/ryan-lavner/governing-bodies-propose-ban-on-anchored-putting/

Guess this was going to happen sooner or later....
Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:32 pm

To be exact, the ban is on the method of putting, which is the anchoring to the body bit, not exactly a ban on the putters themselves. You can still use a belly or even a broomstick putter, just use your hands without the belly or chest.

Now I wonder how does one roll the rock with a broomstick putter using just the hands... confused
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 12:02 am

They prob wouldnt?

entity wrote:
To be exact, the ban is on the method of putting, which is the anchoring to the body bit, not exactly a ban on the putters themselves. You can still use a belly or even a broomstick putter, just use your hands without the belly or chest.

Now I wonder how does one roll the rock with a broomstick putter using just the hands... confused
Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 1:22 am

matt kuchar putts with the belly anchored to his forearm, thats excluded by the rule
Back to top Go down
Kenneth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 1:51 am

USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting 598534_10151269761616676_225681938_n
Back to top Go down
Kenneth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 am

In case you guys can't see the above picture, just follow this link to Golf Channel @ facebook
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 9:23 am

Wonder if they will oso hv a rule that the putter shd be amongst the shortest clubs in the bag eg same as wedges?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 9:56 am

the presence of the rule on lie angle on a putter will pretty much determined how long one can go and once a long putter is detached from the body, it will probably be more difficult to control.

i am sure many thought it was empty talk but this was pretty much decided 2 years ago. for those who are trying to fight the rule including quite a few PGA players will find it difficult to overcome why the ban on anchoring and not the equipment. Belly and Long putters are not illegal, only anchoring is not permitted under Rule 14-1.

someone got to teach MC how to putt......

DGman

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
golfjunkie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
golfjunkie

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 10:13 am

The USGA seems to be getting a lot of criticism for their decision, and unsurprisingly so. the main problem is that by changing a fundamental rule of the game, they don't just affect pros, but recreational golfers alike. the best part is that the evidence isn't even clear that anchoring gives players an unfair advantage. the irony is that belly putters have been around for so long and even today, the best putters eg. Steve Stricker, Snedeker, Phil, use a traditional putter. In fact, Phil tried the Belly and it did not work for him.

i hope that Keagan Bradley or someone does something to stop this. Really really stupid decision in my opinion. And i don't even use a belly putter. Unnecessarily cramps innovation and creativity.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 10:35 am

golfjunkie wrote:
The USGA seems to be getting a lot of criticism for their decision, and unsurprisingly so. the main problem is that by changing a fundamental rule of the game, they don't just affect pros, but recreational golfers alike. the best part is that the evidence isn't even clear that anchoring gives players an unfair advantage. the irony is that belly putters have been around for so long and even today, the best putters eg. Steve Stricker, Snedeker, Phil, use a traditional putter. In fact, Phil tried the Belly and it did not work for him.

i hope that Keagan Bradley or someone does something to stop this. Really really stupid decision in my opinion. And i don't even use a belly putter. Unnecessarily cramps innovation and creativity.

liked...
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 10:45 am

Aiya, let them ban all they want lor. We are social golfers, so let's just use whatever we wish to enjoy the game more.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 10:50 am

Not that I'm opposed to belly putters but how many social golfers do you know who use belly putters? I believe it's more prevalent in the US but I've not seen many golfers in Singapore who'll whip out a belly putter.
Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 10:56 am

Probably due to practical reasons, any club longer than the driver would make it that much harder to fit the golf bag in the boot of the car. In Singapore the majority of cars tend to be smaller than those in the States, and so the correspondingly smaller boot space makes a very long putter more of an inconvenience than a boon.

Also it matter what kind of putters your kakis are using - if no one is using it, it may never catch on.

Technospaz wrote:
Not that I'm opposed to belly putters but how many social golfers do you know who use belly putters? I believe it's more prevalent in the US but I've not seen many golfers in Singapore who'll whip out a belly putter.
Back to top Go down
golfjunkie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
golfjunkie

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 10:59 am

well, with this decision, we can now be certain that the situation in singapore will remain unchanged

and that i think is a pity. the loss is not quantified by what is, but what could have been.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting   USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

USGA and R&A propose ban on anchored putting
Page 1 of 1