Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method

Go down 
+15
DRGjr72
Turbo
Happy Feet
pushslice
gnorij
Slicer51
costajos
michaelcheah
dodi101
golfjunkie
TourSwing
jamezponk
angyongshen
mattpro0796
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 6:57 pm

[quote="mattpro0796"]Setup

The preeminent aspect of the right sided golf swing is the distinction of the body angles at setup. Observers will notice the right sided golfer in a position at address not dissimilar to the position created at impact.

The idea behind this position is to create minimal and repeatable movements to generate power and most importantly for golf, consistency. If a golfer can lessen his need to sway, rotate, shift in unmeasurable amounts then he can repeat this action even under pressure.

At the correct address position a golfer under instruction of the right sided swing will resemble a reverse letter K. In difference to the traditional methods which are in a neutral position.

This reverse K will allow the spine to be tilted toward the target whilst shoulders and hips become parallel to create a correct direction of turn in the sequence of the backswing.

Hi Matt,

Just curious, will this result in lesser power and distance?
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi Matt,

Are you saying that the set up will be the same for using a driver too ?
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Hey Costajos, it's a re-occurring question. You will not lose distance. You will actually be able to achieve proper compression and true loft resulting in more distance and consistent control of yardages.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://academyofgolf.com.sg
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 8:09 pm

@slicer51

Again another re-occurring question. Yes, the set up is the same for the driver

Thanks
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 9:14 pm

The Grip & Wrist angles

Ultimately the success of your grip relies heavily in the positioning of club in your fingers which invariably influences the angles created in your wrists. Wrist angles relate directly to body angles in the setup and throughout the swing, for example: if the golfer creates too much angle in his left wrist (which in turn will decrease angle in the right wrist) his setup will be tilted to compensate for this creating an increase in body angle. Given that the golf swing is a series of correct sequential moves, the golfer will start his swing in the wrong directional turn.

The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 Grip2010

The photo above is the model grip - we set the wrists at this angle in order to create the correct angle in the right wrist for proper compression at impact. We then maintain these angles as the right side of the body replaces the left through impact. Hence, "Right Sided Swing"

We never release, flip, turn, scoop the hands/wrists through impact.

Thanks guys for reading and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Mattpro
Back to top Go down
gnorij
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 9:50 pm

mattpro0796 wrote:
Hi Michaelcheah,

I hope these answers help:

1. The weight is evenly distributed between both feet, we set-up with the hips more forward which gives the illusion of the weight focused on the left foot.

2. The right arm folds sooner in our swing but is never "tugged closer" it remains at the ideal radius.

3. we neither "throw the club" or "hold and swing left" at impact. The right wrist angle is maintained with a "body release" action.

4. The shaft plane at exit is higher but the arm plane is lower. There is a weight shift in the RSS just in a different direction to the traditional method.

whats the weight shift in RSS like? dont see much right to left on the back swing and subsequent shift back to the left on the downswing?
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi gnorij,

There is a subtle weight shift in the RSS unlike the lateral shift in the traditional.

The weight moves around in the backswing NOT laterally and the downswing is initiated with a subtle bump to the left but holding the "reverse K" shape into impact. The spine angle is maintained through out the swing this way ensuring a more consistent pattern.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:13 am

New set:

Some of you have questions regarding the weight shift in the RSS. I hope this little explanation helps........

Many golfers I see each week are under the misconception that the golf swing must start with a large muscle group such as the shoulders or worse still a shifting of "weight" to his right side (right handed golfer). In fact to the first motion in the golf swing will be a slight hinging of the wrists to set the club moving first with minimal shoulder turn to begin with and of course no "shifting of weight".

Instructors who insist to 'transfer' body weight to the right side then again back again to the left to create power fail to note that this will in fact achieve the direct opposite. The average golfer will hear this advice and slide their body weight over to the right side during the takeaway and then lift their arms to the top of their swing, in most cases this will tilt their spine angle inverted and create what most people, including instructors will call an over swing.

Then, the golfer must counter balance this position during the downswing by throwing their arms out and sliding their hips back towards the left side. Basically this will have the complete opposite of the desired weight transfer into the ball to create power.
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Radius - RSS   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 am

Here I'm going to explain the importance of radius in the golf swing.

Many people believe that the RSS is too narrow and under the misconception that it's not a powerful action because, the traditional method leads us to believe that a "wide" to "narrow" to "wide" swing creates speed and power.

However the wide swing can cause the student to cast, throw the club from the top of the swing.

Radius in the RSS is the hand and arm and club staying the same throughout the backswing and downswing into the followthrough.

In the Right Sided Golf Swing the rationale behind moving the shaft first is to keep the 'radius' of the arms and club consistent with the body whilst turning in the correct direction. If a golfer starts his swing with the shoulders for instance he will most likely be unable to resist the body to follow this direction and hence shifting mass to his right side and losing all spine angle created in his setup. During this incorrect sequence he will continue to try to match up moves in the swing to create false speed and power.

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 6:05 pm

Hope to read your views on jack nicklaus classic move of moving weight to the back leg in so far as lifting the front heel and subsequently rolling the ankle forward on the downswing? Phil mick and bubba watson do this too. Prolly millions of golfers learnt from jack's golf my way (fortunately or unfortunately....)

Or how about ben hogan's pressure points on the back feet, keeping it to the ground as long as possible as suggested by the secret in the dirt guys (maves and elk)?

Or tom watson's british open swing, turning his whole hips/shoulder back and turning it through to front (this is nicklaus analysis, i only read it on golfdigest Laughing). Jack wrote that swing is great for older folks, less stress on the back.

Are those just different ways to skin the cat, or all wrong? or only applicable to golfers who spend 10k hours on the game like the pros?
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi,

Even though Jack Nicklaus wrote that he shifted his weight back to the right side he actually moved the weight around - note the picture below:

The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 Inar0110

He still maintains the shape in his right side much like our players do at the top of the backswing.

Ben Hogan is one of Gary Edwin's main influences for the right sided swing because they did less and were repeatable.

In my opinion Tom Watson was one of the greatest and yes he did have a huge shoulder turn as in the picture below:

The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 Inar0111

It does teeter on the over-rotation but he was a very talented golfer and many that try to repeat that action fail to return back to a proper impact position.

There are many different ways to skin a cat when it comes to swinging a golf club - a prime example is Tommy "Two Gloves" Gainey!!! I would never say that the traditional "Left sided swing" doesn't work. The RSS is easier to repeat and produces consistent results.

Many of the leading top professionals do have the 10K hours you mentioned and make it work through hard work on the range. Many of the mere mortal amateur golfers do not have the time and often fail.

Hope this answers your question. Thanks On Green

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks for the explanations Matt. Good to point out the legends' similarities and differences with rss philosophies. All the best with your academy!
Back to top Go down
Happy Feet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 pm

unfortunately i still don understand
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi,

What is it you don't understand?

I'll try and explain it in a way that you can understand.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Happy Feet wrote:
unfortunately i still don understand

You should see Matt in person ... Nothing beats demostrating physically ..

Swing
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Perfect opportunity. As I'm doing a free swing analysis this month for every new client!!

So come on down!!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi Matt, so the RSS is more handsy than using body when swing the club back and forward?
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 10:56 pm

I appreciate MattPro's enthusiasm and passion for his craft. That is what make good teachers great. Whether you adhere to the tenants of the prescribed scheme is completely up to you as a golfer. Do your research and see if it is right for you and what you are trying to do.

In looking at this thread I cannot help to notice one clear thing. There are several types of golfers with three clearly standing out. 1. Professionals and top Ams. 2. Better players 3. Average to high handicappers. These golfers all present different challenges when dealing with teaching and swing issues.

One of the best things about professional golf is the myriad of swings that are out there today. While they differ in various swing positions and whatnot, they are similar in a couple of areas: impact and repeatability. These are two essential areas when it comes to great golf. As the handicap gets higher and higher, these variables become less present. As the handicap becomes lower and lower these variables will show up time and time again.

While I don't know much about RSS, if it is a scheme that proposes, to get the higher handicaps all the way to the touring professional, improvement on those required elements, it would be ok as far as I was concerned.

While I appreciate a good looking swing and would strive to get one that looks sweet I am no longer a youngster and have limited practice. I am fortunate to have played at the highest level and seen what it takes to compete. It is about learning the swing and learning how to repeat it on the course and in competition. The range is filled with guys that have great swings. Can you get it done in the arena???....Furyk and his 50 plus million in career earnings would give me pause to not only look at the swing, but instead look at how the game is played (short game, long game, etc.) and how, through practice, hard work, and determination, can become a great player despite what some would call a "classic" or "prototypical" type of swing.
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 9:55 am

Thank you DRGjr72 for your kind words - much appreciated as I am passionate about the game and I beliebe in my coaching skills with proven results...... Thanks

Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 9:59 am

Hi Turbo,

The RSS is not more "handsy" the hands and wrist are positioned at address so that it helps promote the proper impact position.

The role the wrists and hands play in the backswing is ensuring the club is delivered to a good position and then returned to impact. there is NO excess hand action to create the power.

Therefore, the RSS looks more handsy BUT it isn't. Thanks

Please come down to Raffles and try our technique for FREE. It will explain a lot more.

Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Peter Senior - Right Sided swinger wins Australian Open!!!!!   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 10:15 am

Our Congratulations goes to Pete Senior. At the age of 53 he wins the Aussie Open. The oldest ever to win the prestigious event!!

Peter Senior became the oldest winner in Australian Open history after battling gale-force winds on a brutal final day to beat Brendan Jones by one shot in fading light at The Lakes course in Sydney.

Play was suspended for three hours after 80kph winds made the course unplayable, but the consistent Senior carded a level-par final round of 72 to finish at four under for the championship. The 53-year-old made his first birdie of the day at the par-four 10th to join Justin Rose at the top of the leaderboard, and claimed the outright lead with another birdie at the 12th. Senior then held his nerve with six straight pars to deny his compatriot Jones by the narrowest of margins.

Peter Senior has been an avid RS swinger and all his hard work has finally paid off. Great win for the RS Boys.....

Back to top Go down
Happy Feet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 am

the range and golf place look really familiar.......cant imagine i mite be playing the same course as. a tour winner
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 11:40 am

Happy Feet wrote:
the range and golf place look really familiar.......cant imagine i mite be playing the same course as. a tour winner

That's OCC, maybe that's y it's familiar Smile
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 am

That's correct it is OCC

Peter Senior and Gary Edwin used to have the Academy there. It's now called the Academy of Golf at Raffles CC
Back to top Go down
pngstream
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
pngstream

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 11:59 am

Congratulation to Peter Seniors, you have shown ages is but a number.

I started my first golf lesson in his academy 4 years ago with a Australian coach name - Ben Cambell.
There is another Ben Cambell currently on tour, I wonder if it is the same guy?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next