Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ball rolled into the water thru the drain

Go down 
+2
Slicer51
artchang00
6 posters
AuthorMessage
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Ball rolled into the water thru the drain Empty
PostSubject: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 10:00 am

I had a very bad luck last weekend.

At OCC's Vanda 6, second shot across the waters but went right on the cart path. Good bounce and I thought it was safe but it went into the drain. The maintenance crew had just cleared the drain so there were no leaves, etc...

By the time I walked to where I thought my ball would be, it had rolled all the way down and down into the waters!

In this case, I should hit the ball from where it entered the waters, right? Not where it entered the drain which is about 30m ahead and closer to the pin.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 10:31 am

Not really, it depend whether there were any yellow or red sticks hazard or water marking. One do not drop or hit closer to the pin for sure but where to drop your ball is in question.

Read rule 20-3c :
Spot not determinable

I think you shall drop it under water hazard ruling since your ball did stopped in the water not in the drain.

Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 10:50 am

Yes for sure- not closer to the pin. So I had to drop the ball nearest to where it entered the waters- 30m back and on a slight slope. Wasted a good second shot and kena penalized some more.

Then on Monday, I almost hit the same spot but lucky this time, it stayed up on the grass and third shot brought me on the green. To make up for that lost ball and double bogey earlier.

That's golf!
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 11:20 am

artchang00 wrote:
Yes for sure- not closer to the pin. So I had to drop the ball nearest to where it entered the waters- 30m back and on a slight slope. Wasted a good second shot and kena penalized some more.......

Bro, not really though. When you play under a water hazard ruling. You entitle with options;

Read rule 26 (all with 1 stroke penalty in stroke play): you can

1) Play the ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last play.

2) Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with NO limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped.

3) Additional option only for LATERAL water hazard drop within 2 club length .. etc

In other word, you can take 2nd option, find and drop the ball on a better lie not on the slight slope as you mention above.

Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks. I'll bear that in mind. Still a new golfer who needs to familiarize with the rules.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Erm, for Vanda 6, where is the drain?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Find out if the drain is marked as a hazard or not. The scorecard may shed some light. Look under local rules.

If it is, you can ascertain the point of entry to the hazard (drain) from there and not 30m back as per your description.

Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 5:20 pm

blee wrote:

Sorry- Vanda 5.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 5:30 pm

artchang00 wrote:
blee wrote:

Sorry- Vanda 5.

Erm, vanda 5 is a long par 4 slight dogleg with no water lei. I think you meant 6 where on your 2nd short you need to clear water. I am just thinking after the water on the right side .
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 6:03 pm

Confirm go in drain?
Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Darn- I'm so confused now.

It's the one with the Orchid bunker- that's Vanda 6, right? Yes, that's Vanda 6. Cross the water and upslope on the cart path is a drain that goes all the way down back to the water.

It's a Par 5. See http://www.orchidclub.com/moby/cms/golfing/golf_course/vanda6.html
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 6:56 pm

artchang00 wrote:
Darn- I'm so confused now.

It's the one with the Orchid bunker- that's Vanda 6, right? Yes, that's Vanda 6. Cross the water and upslope on the cart path is a drain that goes all the way down back to the water.

It's a Par 5. See http://www.orchidclub.com/moby/cms/golfing/golf_course/vanda6.html
If I'm not wrong, if you already cross the water and your ball drop into the drain, if you can find it, should have a free drop unless the drain is marked by red/yellow stakes. But if you cannot find your ball, it'll be treated as lost ball.
Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 7:09 pm

I'm very sure it went into the drain and rolled all the way down and into the waters. Cos there were no leaves or anything in the drain that can hold the ball back.

I did drop another ball to see if it will actually roll down and it did.

My playing partner said I must hit from the point where it entered the waters.

Thanks all for your clarification and next time, I'll know better my options.

Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 7:51 pm

It's the par 5. First time hearing it happen. Tough luck I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ball rolled into the water thru the drain   Ball rolled into the water thru the drain I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ball rolled into the water thru the drain
Page 1 of 1