Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood

Go down 
+11
pocketace
Turbo
TigaWood
rkangrah
scottycollector
simoner
Leo
jeffman88
beehome
Tokkokking
pug
15 posters
AuthorMessage
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood Empty
PostSubject: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 11:17 am

I was passing by Golf Direct and saw the Long Tom 2 Wood was on sale at $149. I had heard my golfing kakis raving about his friend's Maruman 2 wood, as Cobra puts it "Driver Distance off the Fairway" So I decided to get one and try. So cheap anyway Very Happy

Specs
Loft: 12.5
Swing weight: E0
Length: 45"

Feel
The shaft surface feels abit rough due to the Speed Coat technology. It does not feel heavy in the hand. Just the right weight. The grip was soft and tacky enough.

At the range
After a quick dinner, went down to the range to try it out. I was concerned that swingweight of E0 may be too heavy for me but it was okay. At a length of 45", I naturally choke down initially but the short grip prevented me from doing so. I also had to stand further back due to the length and was worried that the person behind me will get hit. I did not have a rubber tee short enough so I had to hit it off the mat. The club looks very nice at address, just the right size and shape to instill confidence. The compact head looks somewhere between a 3wood and hybrid.

First swing was really good! affraid The trajectory was low and boring. It landed around the same area as my driver, near the 200m mark. The sound was a solid twang and the ball launched easily.

Subsequently hits were terrible as I tried to swing it faster and harder. The egoistic me wanted to see if I could hit it out of the range but the ball just landed around the 150m. Recalling that my pro always asked me to slow down, I swing it slow and easy --- and the ball flew far far again. Good for those with a nice smooth swing. The dispersion was quite good, estimating about 5-10m.

Can't wait to try it out at the course. Perhaps I can now 2-on for par 5 Wink Hahaha...

Now for some pictures and a video review on Youtube:
Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood Us12ban-longtom2

Video Review
Back to top Go down
Tokkokking
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Looks very chio.

Anybody knows how it compares with the maruman shuttles i4000x?
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 2:18 pm

wah, pug. new weapons again. affraid
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 pm

beehome wrote:
wah, pug. new weapons again. affraid

Hahaha, new toy for Christmas Wink

How about you? Any new weapons too? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 2:33 pm

no new weapon. trying to improve Indian instead. this one old dog with many bad habits. anyway got to accept my limitations. cheers hv a good weekend!
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 2:34 pm

no new weapon. trying to improve Indian instead. this one old dog with many bad habits. anyway got to accept my limitations. cheers hv a good weekend!
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 2:44 pm

nice sleek looking weapon ! v tempting Razz~~~~~~
Back to top Go down
Leo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 2:53 pm

nice review pug!
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 2:59 pm

beehome wrote:

+1. Totally agreed.

This thread is venomous to say the least Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 3:18 pm

45 inch wood?! LONG tom indeed. I might use it on the course if n when I'm a single handicapper. It's fun to try but not practical for the most of us. In fact I doubt pros would use it. Maybe just bubba
Back to top Go down
rkangrah
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 3:19 pm

is there chance that you know the head weight in grams?

If I were you, I would reshaft it to 43" inches.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 3:43 pm

Is worth every cents!
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 3:44 pm

If you want to sell, I will be the first in line.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Not easy to hit such a long shaft on the deck consistently ...
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 pm

scottycollector wrote:
45 inch wood?! LONG tom indeed. I might use it on the course if n when I'm a single handicapper. It's fun to try but not practical for the most of us. In fact I doubt pros would use it. Maybe just bubba

Try one if you have the chance. Think they have a demo club at the Punggol Range. The long length does sound scary initially but Cobra has done a fantastic job of making a long club that is easy to use. I let my better half try it and her comment was that it slices through the air like hot knife through butter. The club wants to complete the swing and it is almost effortless.

rkangrah wrote:
is there chance that you know the head weight in grams?

If I were you, I would reshaft it to 43" inches.

Cannot find any detail on the head weight, should be light. Actually, once I get used to the club, the "long" length is not an issue.

TigaWood wrote:
If you want to sell, I will be the first in line.

No need to queue, just go to GD and get a brand new one. I love this club so do not think I will be selling anytime soon Wink

Turbo wrote:
Not easy to hit such a long shaft on the deck consistently ...

Agree, a short tee will be nice. Good thing that it is easy to launch the ball using this club, hence not much problem off the deck.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Tokkokking wrote:
Looks very chio.

Anybody knows how it compares with the maruman shuttles i4000x?
Reopening an old thread

Curious to know how the Long Tom 2w compares against Maruman i4000x 2w

Any feedback? Thanks 
help cure or kill my itch!!!!
Back to top Go down
aquaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aquaman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Bro, itching for new toy again..... :p
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 9:46 am

I think this will be good for those who can't hit driver well. 12.5* is easy to launch and should offer a good carry distance. If it yields the same distance with driver and easy to play with, why not replace driver with a 2w? Too bad I can't find a strong 3w or 2w for Cleveland Mashie with Miyasaki or else I will use it as a driver.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 9:59 am

I bought one of them 2W long toms last year after reading the prowess of such a long wood... v tough to hit on course.. at the range its a different story ideal conditions but out there with the 101 possible lies most times i shank my shot Sad .. after several unsuccessful outings w it, hitting maybe one in 5 tries i hv developed phobia for it and is now sitting in cold storage in my storeroom waiting for a better day or new owner maybe....lol
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 10:07 am

i think the callaway 3 deep is easier to play.  but its not for fairway play.  just tee off.  Hell, i cannot even hit 3 wood off fairway how to play 2 wood.
Back to top Go down
timlim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 10:20 am

I have the Long Tom 2w which I use on course, but have only tried the Maruman 2w on range before. My personal impressions:

The Long Tom has a deeper face and the stock shaft gives a stiffer feel. Relatively easy to launch off the tee and often as long as my driver. Swing easy and the club is happy to work. Off the deck, it's a lot tougher to launch partly because of the head depth probably also because of the long driver-length shaft. Mostly I only use it off the tee.

The Maruman stock shaft feels a lot softer and whippier. The club head is flatter in shape (like a disc or UFO) and the face is thinner. Off the range mat its definitely easier to launch than the Long Tom. I have not tried hitting balls off the tee with this club so can't comment.

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks all

I'm looking to use it off the tee at tight holes with the option to hit it off the deck when the new arises

Distance wise between the two, can anyone comment? Eg hit both from range mat or both off the tee, almost like for like comparison, almost...
Back to top Go down
timlim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Or you could wait to try this out  Smile 

http://www.golfwrx.com/191099/taylormade-sldr-minidriver-in-hand-photos/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood   Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood
Page 1 of 1