Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Big or Small swing path

Go down 
+8
Desmando R
ironstarz
drawbias
shamusan
duffader
Master
Slicer51
Khorkar
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Big or Small swing path Empty
PostSubject: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Question:; Is having a larger swing creates inconsistency in shot results? Does having a smaller swing produces better results?

Just to ensure everyone is one the same page on what I meant by Swing Path.

Big or Small swing path 79659167821DSCF0286.03
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Is it truth that larger swing path produce faster swing speed ? I felt RSS seems to have a smaller swing path but do not see any lost in distance looking at my golf Kari doing it.

For inconsistency in shot result. I do not feel it but rather my inconsistency shot usually due to other parts of my swing.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 6:23 pm

I felt that when I am trying do a larger swing, I have tendency to make mistake more and resulting bad shots. In smaller swing, because the swing is compact, there seems (at least felt) that I have better results. If this similar observations?
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 6:26 pm

Going by the principle that the Swing Path should be a smooth, unbroken motion, it would mean that the Swing Path should be a nice Circle, with the shoulders being the centre of the circle, and also the pivot of the hands.

With that thought in mind, we then can see that it is the distance of your shoulders to the clubhead being the radius of the circle.

Thus, there is no question of having a big/small swing path (circle), as the radius is fixed. To control the radius would be to unnaturally alter the radius of the circle, resulting in an imperfect swing.

This question is void.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 6:40 pm

Master,
I disagree, a smooth or unbroken motion is an ideal state but we aren't perfect golf swinging machines. i still believe somehow swing path size permeates our own swing DNA to produce consistency in results.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Then just swing with your wrist Loh....
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:25 pm

kk... this question is damn funny la...

if you have big arc, good, if you have small arc, also good...

how much you practice to make it work mah?

you dont practice at all, big arc, small arc, no arc also cannot save you...
Back to top Go down
drawbias
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
drawbias

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Extend the length of your club lor ......
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:35 pm

One of the problem I noticed is when people attempt to take a big swing path , some over do it and ended up with quite some lateral movement at hip. So ended up topping the ball or perhaps inconsistent swing. This happened to me in the past.
Back to top Go down
Desmando R
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 10:03 am

ironstarz wrote:
One of the problem I noticed is when people attempt to take a big swing path , some over do it and ended up with quite some lateral movement at hip. So ended up topping the ball or perhaps inconsistent swing. This happened to me in the past.

Haa bro reading this makes me realise why everytime i try to have a wide swing i end up with a slice... maybe is because of my hips moving with my swing to ensure the big swing radius gets bigger Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 10:24 am

@KK, I have to agree with you that shorter swing path is better, at least for me. I tend to overswing a lot (like John Daly) and I get a lot of inconsistencies. At times, i tried with a shorter swing path and the results is much better and the distance is also longer. The problem is that I started the round with a shorter path but as I progressed, I will go back to overswinging. sigh
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 10:37 am

Bro, a slice have everything to do with your swing path and club face during impact. A out to in swing path with a open club face will slice. If you swing out to in path with a close club face, usually the ball will fade.

I believe a slice happened not because of wider swing .
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 11:34 am

Master wrote:
Going by the principle that the Swing Path should be a smooth, unbroken motion, it would mean that the Swing Path should be a nice Circle, with the shoulders being the centre of the circle, and also the pivot of the hands.

With that thought in mind, we then can see that it is the distance of your shoulders to the clubhead being the radius of the circle.

Thus, there is no question of having a big/small swing path (circle), as the radius is fixed. To control the radius would be to unnaturally alter the radius of the circle, resulting in an imperfect swing.

This question is void.

This is not accurate. The radius is not fixed. There can in fact be a wider / smaller swing radius. The key to a wide or small swing path is the distance between your right elbow (for RH golfers) and your body. Another way to look at it is to look at the gap at your right armpit. The bigger the gap, the further the club head is from your body, and the wider the swing radius.

See for instance Hunter Mahan, who keeps his right elbow close to his body. In fact, he teaches a drill where you place a glove under your right armpit and the aim is to keep the glove there throughout the entire swing. This creates a compact golf swing, with a smaller swing radius, and is supposed to help in consistency.

Compare Hunter's swing to maybe Fred Couples, who doesn't keep his right elbow close to his body.

A smaller swing radius is SUPPOSED to be help in consistency. Just like a wider swing radius is SUPPOSED to give you more distance. But at the end of the day, there are so many factors that contribute to consistency / distance. The width of a swing is just one of those factors. The key is to find what is comfortable and what works for you.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 11:38 am

shamusan wrote:
kk... this question is damn funny la...

if you have big arc, good, if you have small arc, also good...

how much you practice to make it work mah?

you dont practice at all, big arc, small arc, no arc also cannot save you...

damn right bro!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 12:03 pm

my swing twin and I have what I believe the smallest arc in GR......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big or Small swing path   Big or Small swing path I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big or Small swing path
Page 1 of 1