Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf and lodging in Penang

Go down 
+6
IGT
costajos
enwee
NikeN
mloy
musashi75
10 posters
AuthorMessage
musashi75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf and lodging in Penang Empty
PostSubject: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 4:22 pm

I'm thinking of going to Penang towards the end of the year and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good place to stay and play.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 4:43 pm

musashi75 wrote:
I'm thinking of going to Penang towards the end of the year and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good place to stay and play.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know hotels in Penang because when I visit I stay at my friend's place.

If you are planning to stay in Penang Island there is only one course which is Bukit Jambul. Earlier this year one of the 9 holes was closed for renovation but not sure if its completed. Mainland has more golf courses.
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 4:51 pm

i hope you have own transport if planning to have golf holiday in Penang. Taxi is quite pricy there.

There are 2 courses in island, rest in mainland, means you need to cross Penang bridge.
Bukit Jambul - 5mins from airport. The back 9 still in reno on last 2 months, not sure if all 18 holes avail by now.
Penang Turf Club Golf Section - never play there. If happen to have horse racing in weekend, it is close.

In mainland,
Penang golf resort - 2x 18 holes. 20mins drive (north) from Penang bridge. Quit a flat and frenly course.
Mountainview golf resort - 20mins drive (south) from Pg bridge. Interesting hilly terrain.
Bukit Jawi Golf Resort - 25mins (south). never play there, but heard the course cond is nice.
Cinta Sayang Golf & Country Club - 30mins (north). Nice course layout.

http://www.golf-malaysia.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=29&Itemid=26

Hotel: not sure your budget and priority. Below just for reference.
Equatorial - 10mins from airport, 5mins walk to Bukit Jambul golf course. Nearby nothing, good if you have own transport.
Eastin Hotel - 10mins from airport and Bukit jambul. attach to largest shopping mall, Queenbay mall.
Parkroyal - at Batu Ferrighi, night market and a lot of eateries. 40mins to Penang bridge and Bukit Jambul. Many hotel there, you can just google.
E&O - located in Pg downtown. a lot of eateries and pub nearby. Cheaper hotel nearby are Cititel and Bayview city. 20mins to Batu Ferringhi and Pg bridge. Walkable to famous cendol and chicken rice.
G Hotel, Evergreen, Gurney hotel - all located at gurney drive, famous hawker paradise. 15mins to Bt. Ferigghi and 25mins to Pg bridge. G hotel is attached to Gurney plaza.

p/s: pm me if you need more info, am Penang-kia Very Happy

Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Rent a car, it's not that difficult to drive in Penang.
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 6:35 pm

enwee wrote:
Rent a car, it's not that difficult to drive in Penang.

just take note they have numerous one way roads.. so if you miss a turn you got to make a pretty big round
Back to top Go down
musashi75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 pm

Many thanks to all of you. I did a bit of research and found out that the Golden Sands hotel I was looking to stay at is really far away from all the courses. I will take your advice and look to get some transport when I'm staying there.

Kenkong, thanks for the very detailed info. You've given me a few places to visit when I'm there! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 11:16 pm

If going with family and kids, Golden Sands would always be my choice. There is a lot of activities organized by the hotel. Hotel guest can use the puting green in Rasa Sayang too; shared facilities.

Some good info already shared. It depends on your travel plan, how many days, how many games you plan yo have and etc.

Many courses as listed above are within the radius of 50km.

Let me know should you have any queries, will be more than happy to provide any info I know.
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 10:23 am

Good news for u.
Got the update from fren also member of bukit jambul, the 18 holes will be ready by end this month.
Can't wait to revisit there. Miss the signature 10 tee par4.

Although is only 18 holes, it worth to play 2 rounds there, especially the challenging back 9.
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 10:27 am

After jambul game, u may try the Thai restaurant in the club, or goto Kayu nasi kandar behind Vistana hotel (less than 5mins drive). Nice Malay mix rice with their yummy fried chicken.

Planning my trip in Nov. bounce
Back to top Go down
golftortoise
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 4:38 pm

I am going in Dec. Staying at Golden Sands Resort. Is it near to Jambul? Sorry first trip to Penang. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 5:40 pm

golftortoise wrote:
I am going in Dec. Staying at Golden Sands Resort. Is it near to Jambul? Sorry first trip to Penang. Thanks!!

The journey take aro 45mins.

Jambul all 18 holes are open.
The front nine green is fast, back nine is good to play. And now buggy is allow on fairway. cheers
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 5:49 pm

I've only ever played at the Penang Turf Club. Quite cool but you better hope that there are good golfers playing there on that day since the holes criss-cross one another and stray balls are not uncommon. It sits in the middle of a horse race track so you can imagine that there's only so much space for fairways Smile
Back to top Go down
golftortoise
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 7:28 pm

kenkong79 wrote:
golftortoise wrote:

The journey take aro 45mins.

Jambul all 18 holes are open.
The front nine green is fast, back nine is good to play. And now buggy is allow on fairway. cheers

Wow!! Cool!! Thanks KenKong!! Smile
Back to top Go down
golftortoise
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I've only ever played at the Penang Turf Club. Quite cool but you better hope that there are good golfers playing there on that day since the holes criss-cross one another and stray balls are not uncommon. It sits in the middle of a horse race track so you can imagine that there's only so much space for fairways Smile

Sound like its going to be quite an adventure!! But probably not for my group. Will be too dangerous with all us unseasoned beginners around! LOL!!
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Good to share, Bukit Jambul CC rename to Penang Golf Club.
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 2:22 am

kenkong79 wrote:

Serious? I thought Penang Golf Club was the 36-holes course in the mainland.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 3:38 am

IGT wrote:
kenkong79 wrote:

Serious? I thought Penang Golf Club was the 36-holes course in the mainland.

The Penang Golf RESORT (PGR) is 36 holes, and is on the mainland, not the Island.

Penang Golf CLUb (PGC) is new name of Bukit Jambul GC.
Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:12 am

golftortoise wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Sound like its going to be quite an adventure!! But probably not for my group. Will be too dangerous with all us unseasoned beginners around! LOL!!

Reminds me of Royal Bangkok Sports Club which is right in the middle of the city and also a horse racing course, on weekends.

Folks there carry umbrellas not cos of the sun but cos of the errant balls.
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:02 am

Golf and lodging in Penang Img_1011
Golf and lodging in Penang Img_1012
Golf and lodging in Penang Pgc0310
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:35 am

Golf and lodging in Penang Img_1013
Golf and lodging in Penang Img_1014
Golf and lodging in Penang Img_1015
Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 pm

How much are the rates for Mountain View and Bkt Jambul on weekdays? We'll be up there on Christmas week and planning to play at least once. Now, we are playing the one at Kepala Batas- Penang Golf Resort. Any good?
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:26 pm

artchang00 wrote:
How much are the rates for Mountain View and Bkt Jambul on weekdays? We'll be up there on Christmas week and planning to play at least once. Now, we are playing the one at Kepala Batas- Penang Golf Resort. Any good?

PGC (Jambul), if you stay Equatorial hotel, you can get voucher from reception counter, weekday rate is RM120. Hotel can help you to do booking as well.
When register at golf club, you need to pay RM37 for caddy, and tips RMxx after the game.
For walk in golfer, weekday rate is aro RM180 (pls call the club to confirm)

Mountain View is cheaper but located in mainland. Walk in shall be aro RM150 for weekend and RM90 for weekday. They will charge more for single buggy rider.

For reference
http://www.agngolf.com/golfclub/MY_pinang.asp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf and lodging in Penang   Golf and lodging in Penang I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf and lodging in Penang
Page 1 of 1