Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC

Go down 
+12
giles.c.cheng
hkhamateur
NikeN
LousyGolfer
Derek
watermyforrest
Begbie
simoner
jeffman88
Duval_S
blee67
Technospaz
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC Empty
PostSubject: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:06 am

Ok, so MBGC isn't really links golf but I found this video to be quite good for those of us who spend more time than really necessary in a MBGC bunker.

Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:13 am

i have decided long ago to use the 'H' wedge to clear the (&(&*&^&*%^&(% bunkers in MBGC....... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:23 am

Many had said that golf in many ways is like life

such, its best to not go to bunkers in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:43 am

Duval_S wrote:
Many had said that golf in many ways is like life

such, its best to not go to bunkers in the first place.

The oracle has spoken. All bow in his presence!
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:09 am

blee wrote:
i have decided long ago to use the 'H' wedge to clear the (&(&*&^&*%^&(% bunkers in MBGC....... Twisted Evil

Sir understand H wedge has a loft of 64 degrees on average and is used to produce an even higher arc than an L (Lob) wedge to have little or no roll when the ball hits the target area. Also G is for Gap, A for Approach, S for Sand and P for Pitching. What does the H stand for? Height?

Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:26 am

jeffman88 wrote:
blee wrote:

Sir understand H wedge has a loft of 64 degrees on average and is used to produce an even higher arc than an L (Lob) wedge to have little or no roll when the ball hits the target area. Also G is for Gap, A for Approach, S for Sand and P for Pitching. What does the H stand for? Height?

Jeff
H Wedge is none other than the infamous, ever effective....
HAND Wedge Idea
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:31 am

simoner wrote:
jeffman88 wrote:
blee wrote:

Jeff
H Wedge is none other than the infamous, ever effective....
HAND Wedge Idea

Beer
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:34 am

jeffman88 wrote:
blee wrote:

Jeff,

Like Simoner has menteioned, it is a tongue in cheek response using a Hand wedge.... Very Happy

P.S. - We are easy around here... No need to call me sir... Beer
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 am

LOL wahaha fell for that one! +1
me googled it after reading and saw this http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_loft_for_an_H_wedge_golf_club_and_used_for_what_and_What_is_the_loft_for_an_G_wedge_golf_club_and_used_for_what
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:45 am

blee wrote:
jeffman88 wrote:
blee wrote:

Jeff,

Like Simoner has menteioned, it is a tongue in cheek response using a Hand wedge.... Very Happy

Datuk Blee thank u for highlighting to us sir ...

Regards,
Your humble victim
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:48 am

jeffman88 wrote:
LOL wahaha fell for that one! +1
me googled it after reading and saw this http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_loft_for_an_H_wedge_golf_club_and_used_for_what_and_What_is_the_loft_for_an_G_wedge_golf_club_and_used_for_what

I learnt something new too! There is really a H wedge.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:50 am

Begbie wrote:
blee wrote:
jeffman88 wrote:
blee wrote:

Jeff,

Datuk Blee thank u for highlighting to us sir ...

Regards,
Your humble victim

Tan Sri Begbie,

You want to practice that too? Very Happy

Your Sincerely,
Your ATM teller
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:03 am

blee wrote:

Your highness, do you also use the H wedge at MBGC car park?

Yours truly,
Your humble clown.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:05 am

watermyforrest wrote:
blee wrote:

Yours truly,
Your humble clown.

WTF, see the post la... it says Bunker..... White Flag
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:09 am

watermyforrest wrote:
blee wrote:

Yours truly,
Your humble clown.

WMF, I've missed you! Not in the H-kinda way but your sense of humour never fails to put a smile on my face.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:53 am

Tip 1: Buy a lob wedge, minimum 58 deg, >60 deg preferable

While it is possible to get out going forward with a standard sand wedge (54 to 56 Deg loft), it is easier with a lob wedge

Tip 2: Choose wisely when to go forward

For fairway bunkers, I can't think of any hole whereby trying to go forward, if you are close to the front face of the bunker, gives any significant advantage compared to going sideways. Of course, if you are far enough from the face to advance it more than 40m forward, then the reward is probably worth the risk.

For greenside bunkers, a lot depends on whether you are playing for score, i.e. strokeplay, or matchplay. For Strokeplay, every shot counts. Whether it is a 300m drive or a one inch putt, it is still one stroke. Execute the shot you know is likely to succeed, even if it means going sideways away from the green. For matchplay, the situation might require you to hit forward, if so, just give it a go.

Tip 3: Commit to whatever shot you have decided.

Once you have chosen the shot you intend to play, commit to it! Do not play a half hearted shot where you decelerate coming into the ball and try to scoop the ball into the air. That is the WORST possible way to play a bunker shot. To get the ball in the air, you have to send the club into the sand below the ball, which requires a fair amount of force (generated through clubhead speed).

Tip 4: Find the venue and time to practice and experiment

Anybody who plays bunker shots well has spent a fair amount of time in bunkers, be it during practice or play. Find a driving range or chipping green with a nice bunker practice if you really want to improve this part of your game. In fact, you can practice at the beach without a golf ball as well. How far and high you splash the sand can be used to estimate the flight of the ball.

WIth all that said, Duval's advice is still the most effective, the best way to tackle MBGC bunkers is to avoid them where possible, either by aiming away or by selecting the proper club.
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Since I am a PR in those bunkers, I sometimes use an unorthodox method of getting out of MBGC bunkers esp when the ball lies close to a tall back wall (thus, no stance to hit forward or sideways)...

Take a less lofted club, aim for the back wall at an angle, whack the ball clean not taking any divots...

if done correctly, the ball should hit the back wall, rebound over your head and you can gain up to 40m or more forwards towards the green.... (yap... you just hit backwards to go forwards...great trick shot)

if done incorrectly, I hope you are insured Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:39 pm

WAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! LIKE LIKE LIKE

Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 4:50 pm

How about this?

Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 5:32 pm

kenkong79 wrote:
How about this?

Solid! Shocked
Thks fr sharg, bro Ken. Very Happy
Bt i think social golfers if try, will flip e ball back into e bunker instead!! Razz
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 7:33 pm

If i do it, it might end up in my buggy or tee box... lol!
Back to top Go down
giles.c.cheng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
giles.c.cheng

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 10:43 pm

hmm i usualy hit out to the side or if realy bad hit to the back
Back to top Go down
Najibapark
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Najibapark

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 11:04 pm

I have course lessons mostly at MBGC. The best way is too land behind the bunkers. But it's risky so I would just avoid them.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 11:42 pm

The best way to tackle deep wall bunker is not getting into one ... Smile
Back to top Go down
zk1250
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Agree .. avoid going in.. and if u can't.. Go Sides ways .. don't mess ... bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC   How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to tackle the bunkers at MBGC
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next