Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Use of club head cover during a round of golf

Go down 
+17
mtm
ghoonk
enwee
Derek
Technospaz
mUAr_cHEe
Slicer51
pippin
sywog
nutty88
Angchug
hkhamateur
nitesun
jeffman88
simoner
InTheHole!
slazenger
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
slazenger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Use of club head cover during a round of golf Empty
PostSubject: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:33 am

Dear All

Just posting here to get some advise.

I have played some rounds of golf with strangers (I'm a newbie) and I noticed that some players will cover their driver with the club head cover after they tee off. And they will do this at every hole ie cover the head of the driver with the cover!

This is in contrast to me - I just leave the club head cover off for the whole 18 holes.

Which is the right thing to do? Is it necessary?
Do I need to do this with any other club eg putter?

Thanks so much for all advise.

bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
InTheHole!
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:44 am

No right or wrong mate - personal preference. I cover up my clubs after every shot for the following reasons:

1. I have seen the buggy strap give way when the buggy is in motion, and the resulting fall of the golf bag on the cart path will leave some very nasty scratches etc on your woods etc

2. When taking irons out of the bag, one will use an upward pulling motion, and if your driver head is in the way, "bang" small scratch / ding on the top of the driver head.

Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:49 am

InTheHole! wrote:
No right or wrong mate - personal preference. I cover up my clubs after every shot for the following reasons:

1. I have seen the buggy strap give way when the buggy is in motion, and the resulting fall of the golf bag on the cart path will leave some very nasty scratches etc on your woods etc

2. When taking irons out of the bag, one will use an upward pulling motion, and if your driver head is in the way, "bang" small scratch / ding on the top of the driver head.

+1. I do it for the same reasons. To add, if you are using forged irons, it's also good to cover to protect them too.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:52 am

+2 - me used to be like Slazenger at first cos more convenient n me lazy but after the rattlings and yes bag dropping off buggy not on grass but on track i oso instilled this discipline of covering up...
Back to top Go down
nitesun
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:58 am

Wow. After all your past experiences on bag dropping, I shall not be lazy.
From now, will cover up all the clubs.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 10:00 am

InTheHole! wrote:

+3. I followed e abv.
If yr iron set re forged, its ideal to get it covered!
Back to top Go down
Angchug
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Angchug

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:11 am

I usually keep the covers except for my irons. It's always good to protect your putter.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:14 am

I will put on covers for all clubs except for driver and putter during a round of golf.
Back to top Go down
sywog
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:47 am

oh wow.... good lesson...need to more diligent, keep the covers on.
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 12:06 pm

Good habits just as bad habits can be cultivated...

Keep your covers on! Smile
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 12:53 pm

simoner wrote:
InTheHole! wrote:

+1. I do it for the same reasons. To add, if you are using forged irons, it's also good to cover to protect them too.

I do the same too but usually is the caddy do all the works when in Indonesia albino Sorry :-)

Btw, does forged irons much easy to get scratch or ding compare to cast irons ?
Back to top Go down
slazenger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Dear All Sifus!

Thanks for all the great advise!

Will also cover up to protect the more delicate clubs!
bounce
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:42 pm

不要忘戴套套!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:53 pm

All my clubs are now covered. I remove the cover when I use them and re-cover them when I slot them back into the bag. I find that they last longer this way and have better resale value Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
simoner wrote:
InTheHole! wrote:

I do the same too but usually is the caddy do all the works when in Indonesia albino Sorry :-)

Btw, does forged irons much easy to get scratch or ding compare to cast irons ?

Pak, super easy to get dings compared to cast. Scratches not so sure ...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 2:35 pm

Actually covering back is good practice....especially for putter and driver.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Depends, really. I usually keep headcovers on the irons and hybrids, but not on my driver or putter.

Why? Cos the putter headcover is bulkier and losing it during a round would really suck. On the other hand, keeping headcovers on my irons when they are not in play has a dual purpose - to prevent the irons from knocking into the driver shaft and into the putter head, and it also keeps my irons fairly clean and I can immediately see if/when i don't have all my irons if I happen to have a spare head cover at the end of the round
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 12:12 am

O/T abit.. actually another way to mitigate all the rattlings and banging of clubs whilst zooming over the fairways is to invest in a bag ( abit more ex than regular ones) like below where the shafts are gripped tight into slots and this prevents clubs from knocking against one another....
Use of club head cover during a round of golf Golf-Bags
Back to top Go down
mtm
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
mtm

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 1:01 am

Saw the pros on TV, the caddies put the cover back after player pass them the club.
Back to top Go down
falconlgh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 8:50 am

I always cover back the irons after each shot, and I always try to wipe clean the clubs a bit with cloth before covering. Putter and Driver I leave the cover off more for convenience sake. Putter coz every hole will use.. Driver coz the cover is damn hard to cover back... Prob should go get those animal headcover for driver which is easier to cover back.

Problem is my flightmates all take off all their club covers for the whole round.. and they damn kan chiong.. hit and drive off type.. I feel damn rushed to put back my covers before chasing them to next shot..
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 8:53 am

falconlgh wrote:
I feel damn rushed to put back my covers before chasing them to next shot..

Its your game. your shot. take your own time.

Most important of all, 不要忘戴套套!
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 9:42 am

falconlgh wrote:
I always cover back the irons after each shot, and I always try to wipe clean the clubs a bit with cloth before covering. Putter and Driver I leave the cover off more for convenience sake. Putter coz every hole will use.. Driver coz the cover is damn hard to cover back... Prob should go get those animal headcover for driver which is easier to cover back.

Problem is my flightmates all take off all their club covers for the whole round.. and they damn kan chiong.. hit and drive off type.. I feel damn rushed to put back my covers before chasing them to next shot..

Except for my Driver, the rest of my clubs I always put back the covers after my shot. Especially my putter as I hate to see dinks on it.

I hate those socks type Driver covers. Always have difficulty putting back the Driver. You can get those magnetic type which is easy to take out and cover back.

As for your flight mates being kan chiong, you should not feel rushed as ultimately they have to wait for you to tee off at the next tee box. Wink
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 10:02 am

mloy wrote:
I hate those socks type Driver covers. Always have difficulty putting back the Driver. You can get those magnetic type which is easy to take out and cover back.

both are a pain to take off esp with one hand Razz.. best is the socks type where the elasticity is gone liao ..LOL can just yank off n slip on in a jiffy!
Back to top Go down
falconlgh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 11:00 am

jeffman88 wrote:
mloy wrote:

both are a pain to take off esp with one hand Razz.. best is the socks type where the elasticity is gone liao ..LOL can just yank off n slip on in a jiffy!

Yup.. Hate the original sock type driver cover that comes with most drivers nowadays. And they have to use the velvet type of material, which turns to black powder after some time. Hard to take out and make hand turn black..

Prob will look for the animal headcovers that are easy to take out. But all seem so big.. like very hao lian. tongue Attracting attention to me then when I top my drive 20m, damn paiseh Embarassed (thats why i avoid white drivers too)
Back to top Go down
Leo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 11:04 am

best way to keep your clubs covered is to be the passenger of the buggy so u can slowly cover up the clubs after ur shot while sitting in the buggy and put them into your bag when the buggy next stops Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Use of club head cover during a round of golf   Use of club head cover during a round of golf I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Use of club head cover during a round of golf
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next