Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mixed shafts in irons anyone?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
andrewlee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
andrewlee

Mixed shafts in irons anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Mixed shafts in irons anyone?   Mixed shafts in irons anyone? I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Just wondering if anyone used different flexes or different models of shafts in their iron set . . .

I have NSPro 950 Stiff Flex on my mizuno Mx 300 irons.

I like the trajectory for the 4-6 irons, and it's okay in the 7, but way too high in the 8,9,PW.

I wanted to lower the trajectory with DG S300's.

Do you think this a good idea?
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: Mixed shafts in irons anyone?   Mixed shafts in irons anyone? I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 2:24 pm

last year i played my 710 MB PW to 7 iron in DG S200, and 6 and 5 iron 710 AP2 in NS Pro 950 Stiff. Reasons was exactly the same as yours: to get the desired traj.

There are some people who can tell minute differences in their playing equipment who will tell you that the 2 different shafts have different swing requirements, but fortunately for the 99.999% of us, it makes no difference. I put the same swing and the only difference is in the launch. I later gave up on my 710 MB to play the full set of 710 AP2.
Back to top Go down
andrewlee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
andrewlee

PostSubject: Re: Mixed shafts in irons anyone?   Mixed shafts in irons anyone? I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

crayon33 wrote:
last year i played my 710 MB PW to 7 iron in DG S200, and 6 and 5 iron 710 AP2 in NS Pro 950 Stiff. Reasons was exactly the same as yours: to get the desired traj.

There are some people who can tell minute differences in their playing equipment who will tell you that the 2 different shafts have different swing requirements, but fortunately for the 99.999% of us, it makes no difference. I put the same swing and the only difference is in the launch. I later gave up on my 710 MB to play the full set of 710 AP2.

Hi Bro,

What is your reason to switch back (Full 710 AP2)?
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: Mixed shafts in irons anyone?   Mixed shafts in irons anyone? I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 3:54 pm

AP2 are the easiest Titleist irons to hit, next to AP1, of course. Switching to the AP2 was easier for social golfers like us who dont have time to go range twice per week.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Mixed shafts in irons anyone?   Mixed shafts in irons anyone? I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 4:22 pm

some shafts are already "flighted" that long irons designed to launch higher and short irons launch lower e.g. Ping's AWT and PX Flighted.

but if you wanna mix and match, how about finding a shaft with similar weights to NSPro950? It kinda feel intuitive. DG S300 is maybe 20gr heavier than NSpro of the same length. Maybe KBSTour90? or DG SL (SuperLite)
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Mixed shafts in irons anyone?   Mixed shafts in irons anyone? I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 2:07 pm

I think there is nothing wrong in mixing them
As long as it will achieved your goal.

In my country, we have players who uses graphite shaft on his long irons, 4 irons to 7 iron
and then uses steel shaft on his 8 to Pw.

It may look different but its your Toy and thats how you want to play it and if will make you a better player why not?

In my club, we have a few seniors who still uses those old X-14 and X 16 irons.

Though those set look Old and not as long as the new irons. They usually win "Money Golf Game" because they play Good on it.

Once they used the latest X20 irons and played lousy.

Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
waybalegolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
waybalegolf

PostSubject: Re: Mixed shafts in irons anyone?   Mixed shafts in irons anyone? I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi andrewlee,

No worry about having heavier shaft on your shorter irons as the main issue is to bring the ball flight lower and DG300 can do the job.

As whether you will lose some distance on your 8-pw, I dont think so. Even it does, won't be that much but you will get straighter ball then.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
andrewlee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
andrewlee

PostSubject: Re: Mixed shafts in irons anyone?   Mixed shafts in irons anyone? I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 3:03 pm

waybalegolf wrote:
Hi andrewlee,

No worry about having heavier shaft on your shorter irons as the main issue is to bring the ball flight lower and DG300 can do the job.

As whether you will lose some distance on your 8-pw, I dont think so. Even it does, won't be that much but you will get straighter ball then.

Cheers

Hi Bro,

Thanks for your advice and encouragement.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mixed shafts in irons anyone?   Mixed shafts in irons anyone? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mixed shafts in irons anyone?
Page 1 of 1