Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)

Go down 
+22
Adriank
blee67
pushslice
dmateo
zhenxua
nientsu
golfool2009
simoner
InTheHole!
Shanks!
Roystonnn
hkhamateur
BigblackGoof
Cyrano
enwee
Denmeister
buzz1211
eiji
Khorkar
scottycollector
DGman
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Eric,

many old fashioned steakhouse in US dry age at slightly above room temperature for 3-4 weeks (or even longer). The very famous one being Peter Luger in Brooklyn. I saw the meat taken from the aging room, the outer layer was black (rotten) Very Happy Peter Luger's is still the best steak I've tasted.

you turbo boost the aging into 24hrs at higher temperature...very curious how it tastes

May I reserve if you decide to open house on the "turbo" dry aging experiement?

I will bring mango harum manis fr Jkt next month Laughing

Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Eric, I got to admit that you've got talent!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 10:39 pm

Seeing this thread at this hour...makes me damn hungry....

Admin... please please delete this thread... !!!! I cant take it anyMORE!!!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 11:54 pm

Ok boys, let me answer some cooking question...for a change....haha

dmateo....ageing is the fine art of changing the enzymes of the meat (for a lack of a better word its decomposing the meat or in panji's term controlled rotting but not turning rotten). hence the sealing is done to prevent bacterial invasion and at 50 degree's the meat do not cook and it does not have a chance to rot. if it goes above 70 degree it will start to cook and if it goes below 40 degree, it will start to rot.

marinating is used to enhance flavour, when you cook with good meat, there is no necessity to season or marinate. we only use salt and pepper before the meat goes into the hot pan but not before that. this is pan fried and not a roast.

nientsu....shoulder of lamb is full of flavour and rosemary is like the perfect herb to go with almost all english lamb dishes. there is no need to chop up the rosemary because it is wrap in tin foil and what you want is an infused flavour and not seasoned flavour which may overpower the natural flavour of the lamb. i have tried the indian stores in the wet market and while its way cheaper, its also way too "pungent" to make a good roast.

most of the meat that i buy from Hubers are already aged (21 days) before it is shipped to Singapore. once it is chilled or frozen, you cannot aged it again. ageing starts from the time it is hung from the abattoir and stops when it goes into the chilled or frozen room. hence if you buy a piece os steak and keep it in the freezer for 21 days, its not been aged, just freezed. i have actually asked Hubers that they consider the 24 hour "50 degree ageing" as an added service. i would actually pay a bit more and get a bit more sleep rather than watch the oven on and off for 24 hours.

no plans to do this commercially cos not good enough lah...i cooked for my friends and relatives cos we can get better food without paying an arm and a leg.

enjoy.......DGman

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 12:43 am

absolutely, no need to marinade meat if we are pan searing or grilling good meat for a very short time. Especially a good, tender, juicy meat doesn't need any other taste than salt and pepper. The french would add mustard, bearnaise or at least demi glace but they're a bit quirky anyways Very Happy

barbecueing meat (smoked in low temperature for hours) however does well with marinading.

I can't sleep and reading this make me wanna check the content of my fridge...but no dry aged meat, just left over fried rice Laughing

PS Eric, where's your cast iron skillet!
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 7:43 am

I look at my luncheon meat breakfast and I look at Eric's food photo... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 9:40 am

Thanks DGMan, good and informative as always.. I rarely do pan seared, mostly grill it hence the question. Definitely something to try on a good cut for the kids (I cook, kids and wife eat all and I got left over) with creamy mushroom soup and caramelized onion should be good for this weekend.. Smile

Panji, sounds like you're a good cook as well.. so where is the invitation ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 9:55 am

maybe we should start a new forum...Foodie Republic....then talk about golf there....haha

coming next hopefully Beef Burgundy, that one takes little more time especially the stock. french cooking tends to be a be more complicated in the preparation if one wants to use fresh stock instead of ready stock. its also one of my favourite. the magic is in the nutmeg.....yummy.

DGman
Back to top Go down
Adriank
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Adriank

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:14 am

Hi DGman

How is this method of putting it into an oven at 50 deg for 24hours compared to sous vide at 50 deg for 24 hour?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:25 am

DGman wrote:
maybe we should start a new forum...Foodie Republic....then talk about golf there....haha

coming next hopefully Beef Burgundy, that one takes little more time especially the stock. french cooking tends to be a be more complicated in the preparation if one wants to use fresh stock instead of ready stock. its also one of my favourite. the magic is in the nutmeg.....yummy.

DGman
Beef Burgundy? Sound good....but Burgundy's pinot goes well with duck....
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:36 am

enwee you are so text book and predictable.......
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:43 am

effect should be the same but i have not tried it. vacuum packed will mean that the meat stays firm while in the oven the meat is more relaxed. normally restaurant prefers sous vide cos its more convenient especially working in pre orders.

i was told the guys at Brazilian churrascaria starts roasting their meat in slow and low fire for at least 6 hours and they fire up the meat to cook them before serving.

DGman
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 11:03 am

dmateo wrote:
Thanks DGMan, good and informative as always.. I rarely do pan seared, mostly grill it hence the question. Definitely something to try on a good cut for the kids (I cook, kids and wife eat all and I got left over) with creamy mushroom soup and caramelized onion should be good for this weekend.. Smile

Panji, sounds like you're a good cook as well.. so where is the invitation ? Very Happy

I just like my meat bro, but not confident enough to invite folks other than close family, because they are still forgiving if I screw it up Razz

Unfortunately my current place doesn't have an oven and so I used a closed cover charcoal grill to sear and roast. Takes more sweat and blisters haha...a bit ma fan to bring down the grill everytime I want meat and definitely need iron man determination to keep the heat at set temperatures longer than 3 hours, so beef burgundy is definitely beyond me Laughing
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 11:16 am

DGman wrote:
enwee you are so text book and predictable.......
It's more textbook, but it's a safe pairing. I more to pairing than just food...of cos complicated cooking usually goes well with a more simple wine and simple cooking normally I'll would pair with a more complex wine. In burgundy, when u go tasting, the white is normally served after red. Which we normally do vice versa here.

For beginners or casual drinkers I would normally pair with aussie as it's offer more fruits/spice normally goes well with local cooking. For my the other group, it's more complicated...not only food, drinks stemwares play a part as well. Spoken to one of the top maker from Napa many years back, he always advice people to invest in some decent stemwares before investing in premium labels.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 11:20 am

looks like the carriage is placed in front of the horse....we are talking food not wine and there is no rule that food must go with wine. in fact i personally think that wine for those who have a low tolerance for alcohol will musk their taste bud.

enwee you should start a new thread on how to appreciate fine wine. i am sure there will be lots of interest there....

DGman
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 12:28 pm

DGman wrote:
looks like the carriage is placed in front of the horse....we are talking food not wine and there is no rule that food must go with wine. in fact i personally think that wine for those who have a low tolerance for alcohol will musk their taste bud.

enwee you should start a new thread on how to appreciate fine wine. i am sure there will be lots of interest there....

DGman
Imho....it's marriage...good pairing will bring your food to another level.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Yearning for a good piece of meat..... so decided to revisit this thread......

Yum yum!
Back to top Go down
Tiramisu
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Tiramisu

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 3:03 pm

Wow, i really feel hungry looking at the beef and lamb. Thanks for sharing, DG man.
Back to top Go down
GPRO-Ricky Cheng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 6:33 pm

I HIT IT Go for steak tonight!! Beer
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 9:53 pm

this was cooked on the first day of 2013.....

2 pcs of argentina sirlion and 2 pcs of australian 200+ day grain fed.....all 2 inch cut. Argentina is on the left with less marbling and Australian on the right.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 8348756673_7a77b93de7_z

nothing but sea salt and black pepper...seared 2 minutes on each side (total 5 sides) on a very hot cast iron pan, then whacked into the oven set at 200 degree Celsius for 4 minute on each side plus 2 minute on the fat side......

2 pcs Australian on the left and 2 pcs Argentina on the right

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 8349818454_a44efc664e_z

the results.......Grass Fed Argentina...less marbling, a tad firmer and more flavourful....its organic without the price tag.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 8348756127_17c8eea2ce_z

the Australian......great marbling, succulent and less robust in taste and texture....a good contrast when serving both side by side.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 8348756011_559e05a716_z

enjoy.......DGman

what was served on last day of 2012 was even better....
Back to top Go down
InTheHole!
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 10:13 pm

DG, excellent pics as always... and of course, great juicy steaks as well. *LIKE*.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 10:48 pm

DGman,

Yummy!!

Did you serve with any sauce? Can share the sauce make up?

Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 11:33 pm

If UN were to win, how about bestowing us the honor of savoring a steak prepared by you?

Back to top Go down
Tiramisu
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Tiramisu

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:29 am

Hi DG man,

After looking at yr pics, im going to try and "copy" a bit yr method and cook the steaks for tonight dinner. Thanks for sharing. Smile
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 9:32 am

i have always asked if its possible to conduct club fitting and cook at the same time. apparently there is a possibility now......haha and i am checking out the place today.

next thing to attempt is a 24 hour chicken, not exactly like the beef but a slow cook at 65 degree chicken, 5 degree below the lowest temperature on my oven. have found the substitute chicken but unfortunately we cannot get the Bresse Chicken in Singapore.

DGman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next