Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!

Go down 
+9
phatish
Frederick
jamezponk
efoong
pushslice
hkhamateur
Kengnam
mUAr_cHEe
apSG
13 posters
AuthorMessage
apSG
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
apSG

True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! Empty
PostSubject: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Here's my situation, need your expert takes:

-Used to own set of Cleveland CG6 irons fitted with True Temper DG S300, my 7 iron reaches 150m, 5 iron reaches 170m with ease and consistency.

-Took over a set of Titleist AP2 710 fitted with Project X 5.5 shafts, like the hit and feel *when I make sweet shots but most of my clubs I lose about 10-15m and do not have as much consistency with this set.

Registered 80mph on my 7i on one of those speedometers attached to the club.

Should I ? :

(a) re-shaft my AP2 with true temper DG S300 shaft (have a set of shafts now) ?
(b) sell my AP2?
(c) get new irons with proper fitting and stop experimenting? Stretcher

Please need expert advice here... DG Man ????? or any fitters ?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 3:02 pm

i not fitter.. so i shall reserve my comments...

:X

ok. i lied. PX5.5 and S300 is very different shafts leh... how to compare?
Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kengnam

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Go and try out more shafts beside DG S300 n Project x5.5.Should have one suit u,just my two cent.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:03 pm

apSG wrote:
Here's my situation, need your expert takes:

-Used to own set of Cleveland CG6 irons fitted with True Temper DG S300, my 7 iron reaches 150m, 5 iron reaches 170m with ease and consistency.

-Took over a set of Titleist AP2 710 fitted with Project X 5.5 shafts, like the hit and feel *when I make sweet shots but most of my clubs I lose about 10-15m and do not have as much consistency with this set.

Registered 80mph on my 7i on one of those speedometers attached to the club.

Should I ? :

(a) re-shaft my AP2 with true temper DG S300 shaft (have a set of shafts now) ?
(b) sell my AP2?
(c) get new irons with proper fitting and stop experimenting? Stretcher

Please need expert advice here... DG Man ????? or any fitters ?

Bro apSG, so coincidence. I m in e same shoe!!! cheers
Previously w Titleist 775CB set w NSPro shaft w consistency too. Then itchy backside brought AP2 w proj.X 5.5 shaft n played v diff! scratch
Nw w e same questions as well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:17 pm

You're comparing shafts on different club heads, tough lei

I'd recommend visiting DGman, Wiz, Higgs or the latest outfit, Sigma for swing analysis, you will receive more prescriptive answers.

without seeing your swing, fitters can only speculate
Back to top Go down
efoong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
efoong

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:27 pm

pushslice wrote:
You're comparing shafts on different club heads, tough lei

I'd recommend visiting DGman, Wiz, Higgs or the latest outfit, Sigma for swing analysis, you will receive more prescriptive answers.

without seeing your swing, fitters can only speculate

Fitting is trial and error..there is no such thing as good shaft is only the right shaft for you..
What you want to optimize??what is ur objective??
Back to top Go down
jamezponk
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi threadstarter, I read your post with interest and I have been through your stage before I realised what I wanted my clubs to do for me.

I want put disclaimer that the comments is my own experience and it might start a debate. So all
Of my reply is my own opinion.

Ok, having set the context, let's go to the content.

1) go to cleveland websites and titleist websites. Go google the specs of cg16 and ap2. Go look at the lofts of the clubs. Note that your Clevelands 8 irons and titleist 8irons are different. Clevelands have strong lofts , and titleist weaker. Now this could be the MAIN reAson that you are hitting it shorter , ceteris paribus. Meaning your swing was repeated the same hitting pattern throughout both sets.

2) the reasons for the lofts difference are as such. Titleist have weaker lofts to allow the better player or the lower handicapper to work the ball. It creates a higher trajectory, so as the ball lands softly and bites on the green. At the same time, being the better player, he knows how to keep the ball lower in windy conditions. Ap2 is a performance club. For the weekend golfer who plays only once per week, it's always better to keep to the Cleveland, if you put the club side by side and compare. Notice I have not said anything abt shafts. Titleist have the traditional lofts. The Cleveland have stronger lofts to allow the average player to have a little more distance over the irons to reach GIR. The better players don't need the extra distances. They need other things.

3) do you have a repeatable swing from pitching wedges throughout to 3 iron? Do u understand how u hit the ball and where do u impact the ball on your club face? Do u know how is your trajectories of your shots? Is it consistently left to right or right to left? How often you practise? What do you practise on? Can u create a "go-to" shot that is whenever the swing is not working well during the round, you can always fall back on the shot? " for tiger, his shot is the fade."
Ask ourselves this questions. How effective is your chipping and putting?

If the objective of the player is to play better,score below 80, equipment only plays a slight percentage. Of course you must go for a fitting session to find what suits you. U must like the brand you play. When u hold on to the club , it must instil confidence. But if the whole idea is to improve 5 strokes every six months, instead of changing shafts, think of where you can put in time in the dept that strokes can be shaved. If you can save 5 strokes chipping it close and scrambling, and make 5 ten foot putts in a round, I am pretty sure you can score. Have I said anything about shafts? Why not spend a bit more money on proper instruction and coaching to play better and enjoy the game more? And win some money off your buddies. I seldom win money off my dad's friends. They hit driver , 3 wood on a par 4 outside the green. They would chip it to a gimme par. What clubs they use? Pitching wedges from dunno what brand from twenty years ago. Divert the cash investment on shafts to some proper game coaching. So many good coaches here on the forum, who know their stuff.

4)ah lastly,something on the shafts. I have seen pros use px5.5. Nothing more than that. Px is a boardy dead shaft who works for players who know what they want out of a shot.It performs exactly what the player wants it to perform. If the player hits a good shank, the shaft gives it a good shank. That's my experience. Point is, what kind of player are you and what level do u want to go to? For the average player, play once or twice a week got beer money, maybe can consider some livelier shafts. That's why one GOOD session with a good club fitter works. I have my own fitter and I don't promote anyone, but there are many to choose from here.

Good luck to your game Wink
Back to top Go down
Frederick
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Frederick

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:53 pm

jamezponk wrote:
Hi threadstarter, I read your post with interest and I have been through your stage before I realised what I wanted my clubs to do for me.

I want put disclaimer that the comments is my own experience and it might start a debate. So all

1) go to cleveland websites and titleist websites. Go google the specs of cg16 and ap2. Go look at the lofts of the clubs. Note that your Clevelands 8 irons and titleist 8irons are different. Clevelands have strong lofts , and titleist weaker. Now this could be the MAIN reAson that you are hitting it shorter , ceteris paribus. Meaning your swing was repeated the same hitting pattern throughout both sets.

2) the reasons for the lofts difference are as such. Titleist have weaker lofts to allow the better player or the lower handicapper to work the ball. It creates a higher trajectory, so as the ball lands softly and bites on the green. At the same time, being the better player, he knows how to keep the ball lower in windy conditions. Ap2 is a performance club. For the weekend golfer who plays only once per week, it's always better to keep to the Cleveland, if you put the club side by side and compare. Notice I have not said anything abt shafts. Titleist have the traditional lofts. The Cleveland have stronger lofts to allow the average player to have a little more distance over the irons to reach GIR. The better players don't need the extra distances. They need other things.

3) do you have a repeatable swing from pitching wedges throughout to 3 iron? Do u understand how u hit the ball and where do u impact the ball on your club face? Do u know how is your trajectories of your shots? Is it consistently left to right or right to left? How often you practise? What do you practise on? Can u create a "go-to" shot that is whenever the swing is not working well during the round, you can always fall back on the shot? " for tiger, his shot is the fade."

If the objective of the player is to play better,score below 80, equipment only plays a slight percentage. Of course you must go for a fitting session to find what suits you. U must like the brand you play. When u hold on to the club , it must instil confidence. But if the whole idea is to improve 5 strokes every six months, instead of changing shafts, think of where you can put in time in the dept that strokes can be shaved. If you can save 5 strokes chipping it close and scrambling, and make 5 ten foot putts in a round, I am pretty sure you can score. Have I said anything about shafts? Why not spend a bit more money on proper instruction and coaching to play better and enjoy the game more? And win some money off your buddies. I seldom win money off my dad's friends. They hit driver , 3 wood on a par 4 outside the green. They would chip it to a gimme par. What clubs they use? Pitching wedges from dunno what brand from twenty years ago. Divert the cash investment on shafts to some proper game coaching. So many good coaches here on the forum, who know their stuff.

4)ah lastly,something on the shafts. I have seen pros use px5.5. Nothing more than that. Px is a boardy dead shaft who works for players who know what they want out of a shot.It performs exactly what the player wants it to perform. If the player hits a good shank, the shaft gives it a good shank. That's my experience. Point is, what kind of player are you and what level do u want to go to? For the average player, play once or twice a week got beer money, maybe can consider some livelier shafts. That's why one GOOD session with a good club fitter works. I have my own fitter and I don't promote anyone, but there are many to choose from here.

Excellent sharing... You prepare your thoughts very well..
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 5:29 pm

Yo bro jamezponk, tx v much fr yr experience sharg. I get wat u mean alr. Very Happy
Will work on it fr sure, bt wil b hearg some other views as well if there s more. Cheers! cheers
Back to top Go down
phatish
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:32 pm

very good read

jamezponk wrote:

Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 pm

jamezponk wrote:

Spot on!!

Back to top Go down
wtapz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:49 pm

I suggest u see a fitter... It can save u the trouble of going thru some pain
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bryanachong

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Nothing to do with the shaft Imo, give a local pro any shaft any head probably able to hit approximately the same distance ball flight etc etc

Who knows?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Rafj wrote:
jamezponk wrote:

Spot on!!

ray......u may know each other from the inter-club league

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!   True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

True Temper DG S300 vs Project X 5.5... Fitters need your help !!!!!
Page 1 of 1