Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Costly Mental Error

Go down 
+3
slinger
asahi
Derek
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Costly Mental Error Empty
PostSubject: Costly Mental Error   Costly Mental Error I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Today I play 9 holes at MBGC and shot a 44. But it was a memorable 44.

The round started great, even though I was playing with 2 long hitters (driving about 40-50m past me if I hit a good drive), managed to par the first few holes, only bogey surprisingly came on a Par 5 when I had a full SW into the green for my 3rd and hit the shot thin, posted the green and could not get up and down for Par.

Then comes Hole 7, a 362m Par 4, with a strong headwind. The hole was worth 3 skins, and I know my opponents will have no problem reaching in 2. So I made a big mental error and decided to grip and rip it for all I have .... sweet contact ... but the ball starts slightly left and then proceeds to hook hard left OB ...

Collecting myself, I let the 2 others tee off, then hit my 3rd shot with my normal swing into the fairway. Left about 175m (it was a pretty strong headwind), so I take out my 19deg hybrid, and again give it everything I have ... again sweet contact ... again hook left ... again OB

Now playing my 6th shot, I decide to hit an easy 5 hybrid to layup, then a pitch and a 2 putt for a 9.

On the next hole, a 415m Par 4, again into the wind, I remind myself to maintain a good rhythm and hit a good 200m drive. With 215m left, I proceed to hook my 3 hybrid hard left again, only to be rescued by the netting, ball bounces back in play. With a 75m pitch left, I then duff my first attempt at pitching (fat hit). 40m left. I gather myself, play a good pitch but miss the 6 footer and get a double bogey.

Light up a cigarette, calm myself down, take a few practice swings, focus on smooth tempo, hit a good iron from the tee into the last hole (Par 3 - 138m) onto the green. 2 putt par.

I lost my tempo and tried too hard to hit a drive into the wind on 1 shot, and lost my tempo for 2 holes, and it cost me 6 strokes (possibly more if I had not been rescued by the net).

All said and done, the other 7 holes were great, and I'll try to find some time to get to know my 19deg hybrid again, along with maintaining a nice rhythm.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Costly Mental Error   Costly Mental Error I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:48 pm

Playing skins?

So should be costly financial error also right?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Costly Mental Error   Costly Mental Error I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Well ... I won the first 4 ... so damage was limited
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Costly Mental Error   Costly Mental Error I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 pm

ZX usually plays like this...

6 pars then blow 3 holes....

to maintain his buaya-management-status......

flower
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Costly Mental Error   Costly Mental Error I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:57 pm

After 6 holes Derek started calculating the handicap differential and all hell broke loose!!!

You already have a great game, but it seems to take it to the next level you will have to

1) increase distance, or
2) improve 50m and in to the extent you are confident of getting up and down every time!!!

I think the latter is is possible provided you are able to invest some time into practicing it
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Costly Mental Error   Costly Mental Error I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 10:06 pm

Though I m no where near derek's standard, I typically try to stick to my game plan. But do agree it's tough.

Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Costly Mental Error   Costly Mental Error I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:10 am

Ive seen players like Tom Kite and David Toms make tons of money sticking to their game plans ... But one things for sure ... The short game has to be top notch!!!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Costly Mental Error   Costly Mental Error I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 7:21 am

That's why golf is painful and also fun. If you can overcome your mental issues and play your game (vs. the game which you want others to think you have), you can do well. On the other hand, if you try too hard, your risks may pay off or you may just crash and burn.

I'm a pro at crashing and burning.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Costly Mental Error   Costly Mental Error I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 10:01 am

Derek, simple, you golf too much. Life too good, that's why you fight a hook when the rest of the world fights a slice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Costly Mental Error   Costly Mental Error I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Costly Mental Error
Page 1 of 1