Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mental's Traning

Go down 
+7
pippin
weesern
alvin7379
jeffman88
eiji
nientsu
davecsh
11 posters
AuthorMessage
davecsh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
davecsh

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:15 pm

I guessed some of the nice people in this forum has been golfing for a long time and probably in the single handicap's category.

Besides the abilities to swing a club and hitting the ball correctly, I reckoned golf is also a game which require strong mentality when under pressure.

Can any senior here enlighten about how you work / train your game in this department ?

Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:22 pm

There is a way.

you can start by PMing slinger for a game.

I can assure you, if its mental training you are looking for, its $$$ well spent
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:28 pm

Play with ASS.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:35 pm

IMHO Think unless u r in serious competitive golf where mental preparedness and training is definitely a must, most of us are probably in it cos we just love (r addicted/ poisoned to) the game and simply play at recreational and not competitive, pro or tour levels.... The biggest mental challenge for me is not to get angry with both the arrow (clubs) and the indian (myself) everytime i make a crappy swing or duff the ball or miss a simple 4 footer putt so that I can pick myself up and come back the next week or fortnight to play again Smile...
Back to top Go down
davecsh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
davecsh

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:39 pm

I guessed you guys are referring to waging bets during game?

Have tried that for a year and frankly it doesn't really help me and have been throwing $$$ down the drain and made me frustrated with my games !

That's definitely one way to go but I don't really want to continue going down that road and ended up broke ! Sad
Back to top Go down
davecsh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
davecsh

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:43 pm

My scores are so different between each game !

Ranging from Best of 80 to Worst of 100s ! Mostly ending up in the 90s.

Doesn't seem to be able to make it consistent !

Some kakis have told me its my equipments (which is blade), but I like the feels !
Some have told me its my appetite for risks ! and failed to course manage.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Then you should identify what is causing your score to ballon... And practice on that part of your game... not necessarily only mental...
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 4:21 pm

If now you do not bet, why are you under pressure? where did the pressure come from?

Are you able to let go when you play? I mean the thoughts and not the club
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 pm

That's y i'm trying to read sports/golf pscyhology books to brush up on the mental concentration....

Heard about "mind "?

some pple like to do tat!!
Back to top Go down
SigmaOne
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
SigmaOne

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 6:50 pm

There is a few things u can consider, namely as follows:

1. Play with 3 other better players, note their club selections, green-side game approach, reading of the greens.

2. Course management - Distance control. Most times u hit a good shot but the ball comes up short. Its the wind, or the marker? Or is it U did not make an effort to pace the distance if the ball is between red and white stick. To resolve, get a GPS or a Range Finder.

3. Course management - Reading of greens. Most times we dont read greens from 4 angles, just from the front, or most from behind the ball. And also pace the distance. It will be a good practise to start reading the bigger contours from a 100m out. And note the grains around 3 inches radius of the holes. All these are small details.

4. Course Management - Short game. Consider chipping or pitching to the pin. Choose the safer option. Pin position is a big consideration. U can even consider put off the green. Always bring yr sand wedge, lob wedge or even 7iron along with yr putter for around the green play. Not forgetting a ball towel, usually muddy around the greens to clean it before putting.

5. Course management - Tee to green. Before u tee off, read the distance, identified the hazards and bunkers. Use a clubs that gives u a comfortable approach, but bring the bunkers out of play. Learn to block out a side that is Hazard or OB, if u miss, the ball will be on the safe side, even if unflavorable lie. Map out how u intend to play the hole before tee off. Have a game plan.

6. After the game, try to recall all the shots and the clubs u used. It will help u to identify your strong clubs and the weaker ones. It also helps u to understand the course better and remember the breaks on the greens.

7. Always gives yourself a challenge, set a 6-holes target, 9-holes target, 18-holes target. If u dont have a birdie, try to save par. If u cant save par, try to avoid a double bogeys, and likewise. Every strokes counts, and a bad hole can affect the next, so take every stroke seriously. A double par is still worth saving, if u are playing match and stroke game.

8. Dehydrations. Fatigue is something that is not obvious. Try to sip water/drinks every holes, even on a cool day. U may not realise it, but in a cooler climate, u can play 36 holes without feeling tired.

Hope some of these points might help. Happy Golfing, Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.SigmaGolfStudio.com
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Well guess we meant mental concentration ... How to put yourself into the 'zone' .. Got it ?
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Think one of the coaches at Heartland has smtg on this.......perhaps can check it out.

Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Serious ... Need contacts or suggestion... Tks!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 pm

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t15355-essential-skills-workshops

Check this out.
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:12 pm

Tats useful... Tks for your input
Back to top Go down
davecsh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
davecsh

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks Sigmaone! For the useful tips!

Thanks Asahi! Will contact and enquire abt the workshop.
Back to top Go down
SigmaOne
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
SigmaOne

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Besides that, u can also do the following:

1. Play with 3 very long hitters.
2. Play with total strangers.
3. Play with tournament format competitions.
4. Play from the Black/Tournament Tees.
5. Play with friends/Foes - Vegas/Bankers/Sixes/Match & Stroke/Skins/Birdies+Eagle+Bunkers+Hazards rewards and fines.
6. Play in Jarkata, Hua Hin & KL (Offers a different challenge)
. Lastly - Play 5 games in a row!
Back to top Go down
http://www.SigmaGolfStudio.com
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 9:03 am

i also have the same problem. i will be under so much pressure when there is betting involved. winner takes all is not as bad as loser pays all, for every hole. the pressure is just unbearable. but if no betting is involved, no pressure as we all play to have good time cheers
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 9:28 am

I don't mind losing, but I can't afford to pay...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mental's Traning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental's Traning   Mental's Traning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mental's Traning
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.