Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

newbie question on golfing rules for beginner

Go down 
+6
Cyrano
tronos
alvin7379
golfnut
peter.golfer
madmaru
10 posters
AuthorMessage
madmaru
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
madmaru

newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  Empty
PostSubject: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi all i got some question on the following :

1) with PC can we start doing 18th holes ?
2) does PC restrict to certain course ?
3) what is SGA ? it's it a governing body on golfing in SG ?
4)is there a different between a PC with SGA chop and without ?

all the old birds please advice
Back to top Go down
peter.golfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
peter.golfer

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 pm

a. With pc, u should b able to play most of the 18 hole courses in SG during weekday
b. weekends, you will need handicap
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfnut

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 8:45 am

p.g, not really. some do not regconise some pc from some other clubs. (SG) but with the least pc, you can play almost anywhere in malaysia. Best is with a hcp maintained by a reputable club.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:15 am

madmaru wrote:
Hi all i got some question on the following :

1) with PC can we start doing 18th holes ?
Not in Singapore. There MIGHT be some courses that allow but I would bet u that most does not even bother asking you where you get your PC from.
2) does PC restrict to certain course ?
Like I said... most 18 holes courses will probably not recognize a PC... for those who does... they'll probably allow access even without looking at ur PC
3) what is SGA ? it's it a governing body on golfing in SG ?
Singapore Golf Association... A national golfing body in Singapore that manages golfing related issues & events. Nothing to be concern of for social golfers like us if u ask me
4)is there a different between a PC with SGA chop and without ?
Snap out of it.. with or without chop... with of without signature... with or without whatever.... PC is just a pc of crap paper... of no use or whatsoever...

all the old birds please advice
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
madmaru
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
madmaru

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks for the clarification because last week I was at mandai I over heard a coach telling some student that just completed their PC " the PC u take is only can play in mandai no where else "
So hence the confusing about PC and what we can do
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:30 am

PC can play MBGC liao. Done it many times. JB courses also can on weekdays...many times never check. For MBGC, i notice, for a PC, the marshals will keep a close eye and quick to ask to hurry up or even skip holes (skip holes only told to us when we were on PC). I overheard instructions to the marshals to look out for the flight of PC holders (us).

Back to top Go down
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 1:34 pm

Why can't courses in Singapore set aside one weekday.. or even half a day.. to allow public to have access to the course without the need for handicap or PC? This will certainly promote the game. I heard that in other countries like US and Australia, HC is not even required. Of course the downside is that u get people hitting balls all over the place, etc. Which is why I think setting aside 1 weekday should not be a problem. During these "No-Handicap-Needed" day, the marshals should go around educating these golfers on golf etiquette, etc (such as repairing ball marks, repairing divots, etc).

Maybe I'm just too idealistic. Smile
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 1:40 pm

MBGC does not require HCP... if dun possess HCP, just take swing test... FYI
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Cyrano wrote:
Why can't courses in Singapore set aside one weekday.. or even half a day.. to allow public to have access to the course without the need for handicap or PC? This will certainly promote the game. I heard that in other countries like US and Australia, HC is not even required. Of course the downside is that u get people hitting balls all over the place, etc. Which is why I think setting aside 1 weekday should not be a problem. During these "No-Handicap-Needed" day, the marshals should go around educating these golfers on golf etiquette, etc (such as repairing ball marks, repairing divots, etc).

Maybe I'm just too idealistic. Smile

Singapore too many golf craze ppl...weekdays also packed, not to mention weekends.....
Back to top Go down
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Weekdays are packed for country clubs.. meaning these people have HC and are members.. most probably means that these are people holding significant positions in companies that they can afford to set aside weekday to play golf. But if u see public courses like Mandai, MBGC, etc, you will find that weekdays are rather empty. I think it would be good if country clubs can open their courses to public without HC. This will give non-handicappers a chance to play at different courses and gain exposure from there. Otherwise, week in week out, they will only be playing Mandai.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Actually... It's easier for golfers to just get a Hcap than to get golf courses to open up the course to cater for PC/ beginners... Suspect

Many ways to get onto a 18 hole course without H'cap in order to accumulate ur 5 scorecards..

- MBGC
- Join GR Golf events
- JB
- Ask ur coach to sign u in
- pay ur way to one tongue
Etc etc etc...

So people... I think u guys better put in some effort rather than expecting the courses to cater for u lor... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Think getting a HC is not a problem.. can easily be done (if you know your way around).
I'm looking at it more from the angle of promoting the game. There are many casual/leisure golfers who don see the need to get and maintain a HC.. and the rules that apply in S'pore may juz put them off the game. It's a chicken or egg thingy.

Just my 2-cents ah. Personally, I'm serious enough to wanna maintain my HC. But at the same time, I want my soon-to-be-retired dad to take up golf and I doubt I can get him interested if he knows that he needs a HC to play at non-executive golf courses here in S'pore.
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Cyrano, club memberships in Singapore isn't cheap. If they open up the course to public (non guest of members), paying members make unhappy. Open to non-HC public, who can guarantee they will practice golf etiquette? I'm sure many will practice etiquette in a golf course, but sad to say, I've also seen those who doesn't. So who will end up having to pay for maintenance? They are a commercial entity afterall with members paying not just membership fees but subscription as well.

Besides Mandai, there are others for PC holders such as green fairway, tanglin. If going for HC, then I think MGBC and JB is best.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Honestly, I am with the idea that non hcp sud not be allowed on the course. Golf is not easy. My believe is u need to go to the range and par 3 courses for at least 6 months before u sud be on the course. I have seen people, one month old in golf on the 18 holes. U don enjoy, ur flightmates feel stressed cos u are holding everyone. The marshals feel stressed cos they keep on receiving complaints. The flights behind u all feel frustrated. Not a good situation.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 pm

I agreed with the points pointed out by Acidic and nientsu. One more point from me. If you are a beginner who just passed your PC and you play in a member course. Most likely after your flight, assuming the whole flight are PC holders, the fairway will be full of divots, repaired and non repaired. In no time just after 1 weekday for PC holders , I think the fairway will be ready for planting vegetables for the cookhouse ...kekekk lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: newbie question on golfing rules for beginner    newbie question on golfing rules for beginner  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

newbie question on golfing rules for beginner
Page 1 of 1