Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slowing down a backswing

Go down 
+9
Pizzaman
eiji
tronos
LousyGolfer
golfnut
smallhorse
Hogan
Lee36328
MrBig
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:49 pm

adding to what Lee has mentioned.

if our Body type are, say XL to XXXL size.

Its better to shorten the back swing. Like a 9 o clock back swing.

though doing this will make you lost a few distance.

But it will give you a more accurate shot.

Golf is not a game of length but consistency & accuracies
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:16 pm

Funny how John Daly does quite the opposite Smile
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Here are some link site to know more about Golf shoulder turn

shoulder turn 1

shoulder turn 2
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Technospaz wrote:

i think he grew up swinging like that

my wife swing the same as Daly.

Accdg to her, it was how she was taught by her golf teacher when she was in her teens
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:26 pm

A very fast tempo kills consistency, feel and accuracy. Create alot of problem. Not sure if it is the same for you, but my tempo generally is much faster for the first few holes of the round vs the rest.

This works for me to slow down my tempo:
1. loosen your grip
2. use a longer club for the distance required

A bit on pt 2: I realise (and I think there is some study as well) that when I miss the green I usually miss it short. Using a longer club always ends me up in a better state. Secondly, your brain automatically preps your body for a shot. If it thinks that the distance requires a 100 or even 120% swing, it will tell your body to exert more effort on the swing. Which your body will interpret as swinging faster / harder. By using a club that is longer , your mind tells your body that the distance is enough. Swing at 80%. Your tempo will end up better. Funny thing is that you'd realise that swinging 80% may end up having better results on distance even.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:32 pm

HyBriD wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Accdg to her, it was how she was taught by her golf teacher when she was in her teens

Kat also swings like that and produces a wonderful shot!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 8:06 pm

HyBriD wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Interesting point.

This type of swing is useful for someone like Daly who might otherwise find it a challenge to 'clear the right hip'.

Here's a video I took of Kiradech Aphibarnrat at the 2010 CIMB Malaysian Open at The Mines.

Both have a similar way 'over the top' swing.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 9:14 pm

buweeza wrote:
A very fast tempo kills consistency, feel and accuracy. Create alot of problem. Not sure if it is the same for you, but my tempo generally is much faster for the first few holes of the round vs the rest.

This works for me to slow down my tempo:
1. loosen your grip
2. use a longer club for the distance required

A bit on pt 2: I realise (and I think there is some study as well) that when I miss the green I usually miss it short. Using a longer club always ends me up in a better state. Secondly, your brain automatically preps your body for a shot. If it thinks that the distance requires a 100 or even 120% swing, it will tell your body to exert more effort on the swing. Which your body will interpret as swinging faster / harder. By using a club that is longer , your mind tells your body that the distance is enough. Swing at 80%. Your tempo will end up better. Funny thing is that you'd realise that swinging 80% may end up having better results on distance even.

Yes, very very true.

Very good insights here,
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfnut

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 pm

both have big tummy la.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 8:39 am

Yes, it helps the right elbow from crashing into the side of the tummy when they tuck the right arm in the downswing.

But interestingly enough, here's Freddy Couples with a similar move but without a big tummy. The characteristics include, taking it away well on the outside, high hands, high right elbow (flying elbow), over the top (club past parallel) and across the line (club pointing to the right of the target) at the top of the backswing.

Many of these traits, such as past parallel and across the line are considered undesirable overswinging in several current swing style flavours, but are essential elements in a swing like Freddy's.

At normal speed, we can see the smoothness of the swing that Freddy is famous for.

Side story: I knew a guy with a swing similar to this who went to a coach to try to change it to a more conventional current swing because he could not hit anything other than draws and hooks. One of the things the coach tried to change was the 'overswinging' and across the line part of the top of his backswing. He spent literally months, almost a year, working on it almost daily at the range, taking many lessons. And ended up with the same swing unchanged. But he was one of the instructors favourite students because he took many lessons.
Back to top Go down
MrBig
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
MrBig

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 10:36 am

Can I ask a stupid question...
Which part of the ball do you aim for?

reason is ... i realised that theres a diff when I aim in the middle....
and when I am at the right of the ball... where it starts....

with the driver ....
i was told to correct my swing by aiming 1 ball length infront (right) of the ball ...
which ... i do not know is correct or not ...
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 11:35 am

MrBig wrote:
Can I ask a stupid question...
Which part of the ball do you aim for?

reason is ... i realised that theres a diff when I aim in the middle....
and when I am at the right of the ball... where it starts....

with the driver ....
i was told to correct my swing by aiming 1 ball length infront (right) of the ball ...
which ... i do not know is correct or not ...

My suggestions.
just look at the ball regardless of your aim.
unless you play on a single HCP, just look at the ball and ensure that you hit the ball.

That said, when you stand, placement of ball is important. remember that your body will react when you use different length of shaft (driver to gap wedge, assuming a standard full-swing).

A good way to practice will be:
1. use your rubber tee as your driver marker
2. and place your ball accordingly.
3. note ball between your legs, centered will be your 7 iron.
4. until you get the ball impact correct, ball positioning is the second most importance.
5. aiming the ball left or right, will not work (for me), cos my mind will try to really aim, but i see only the ball, and the tendency to hit a seen ball is normal. so. just hit the ball. only when the ball goes bad or good, can you only make more adjustments and practice.

Now. getting a coach is really a good idea. cannot save money here.
But I like to share that, if you are not ready to listen to a coach and make changes, enjoy the game first, do what you can, practice hard and if you feel that you need to improve on a specific area, look for a coach.

I started golf playing the game first. when you are starting to "feel serious" getting a coach is an important step.
Last thing you wanted, was to have your lessons going through basics and that really strips your fun.

your swing changes over time. big, fat, small, thin built.
Golf is ever improving, and if you still have the aptitude to listen, you will improve greatly.

so, start hitting the ball and feel the sport. king king
To top it off, get your ball off the ground, ensure that your grip, posture, ball alignment and body rotation is correct.
And look at the ball. (why? if u do not focus on the ball, you will tend to "stand by" when you swing down, because you want to hit the ball, rather than letting the shaft and head make the impact on its own)
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 11:48 am

How about the grip? The grip must fit the swing type?

if you grip is correct, its 'more difficult' to swing wrongly, correct?
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 12:00 pm

tronos wrote:

Yes. I did make a reference to the grip.
{To top it off, get your ball off the ground, ensure that your grip, posture, ball alignment and body rotation is correct.}

^^
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 3:18 pm

tronos wrote:

everything depends....on how you feel

for example, Fred Couples uses the Strong Grip
it produces a nice wonderful shot
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Have you find how to do it?   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Hello Mr.Big,

May I ask have you found it?

on How to Swing slow?

MrBig wrote:
Hi everyone...

Quite new to golf ... and been at the range quite abit.
well... there's always a comment made... "slow down your backswing"...

Honestly ... I know my backswing is too fast ... which causes the clubs to bend before my downswing.
so .... how do I correct this?

I've tried to slow down.... and could hardly hit the ball 50m with a driver, assuming I managed to make contact with the ball.

Seeking your kind advice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slowing down a backswing   Slowing down a backswing - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slowing down a backswing
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2