Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Backswing checkpoint

Go down 
+7
enwee
pocketace
nutty88
18underPar
timang84
DKing
Golf noob
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

Backswing checkpoint Empty
PostSubject: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 9:10 pm

Any bros here can advice when you reached the max of the backswing do you guys still have any sight on the ball?? Cause when I reached the max and if I do still have sighting of my ball my friend normally said that my body is not coil enough and that I'm using more on the hands instead of core muscles, than if I coil sometimes tends to lead to flatter swing plane and no sight of the ball causing inconsistent of the swing..

Any advice, thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
DKing
Caddy
Caddy
DKing

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 2:23 am

Look at pictures in golf magazines or videos and see if the golf ball is always in the pro's line of sight.

I am no expert but I reckon it takes a some super flexibility to first "coil" until one loses sight of the ball and extra skills to hit a ball which is out of sight.
Back to top Go down
timang84
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
timang84

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 7:40 am

My guess is that you should always have sight of the ball. If you lose sight of it, probably you're trying to rotate your shoulders, but standing too tall (i.e. not bent over enough). If you're bent over enough, with the adequate distance from the ball, and the chin a little up You probably would have enough space for your left shoulder to tuck under your chin, while at the top of your back swing.

That's my swing thought for my backswing.
Back to top Go down
18underPar
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
18underPar

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 7:59 am

definitely, always keep your eye on the ball and try to keep the head/body still.

i think if you lose sight of the ball, your body/head is probably shifting/swaying and that will cause all types of problems with ball striking
Back to top Go down
http://www.EighteenUnderPar.com
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:00 am

Rotate around your spine and you will always have the ball in sight. But once you sway on your takeaway, chances are that you will lose sight once your shoulder pushes your head away.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:19 am

I think the key is getting a repeatable swing, no matter how your swing looks
So if you feel you are losing sight of the ball at the top of your backswing and causing inconsistent impact, suggest you look for a professional 

All the above responses are helpful, but not sure how they can help you cos everyone is different

I've played with my friend's father in law, over 60yo, he has a swing like yours, but somehow, when he rotates back and impact the ball at sweet spot, often driving straight 240m, plays off 10hcp. So, different strokes for different folks
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 11:48 am

I thought your eyes should always be on the ball. Most problem like top and duff occur when the player lift up the head too early. But @ golf noob why not consult a pro instead of hearsay this and that maybe causing more harm to your game then good.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 12:35 pm

At the range, I saw one middle age fella tends to gradually look at his club as he did a takeaway instead of looking at the ball ... Once he was at the top of his swing, his eyes seemed to be beginning to search for the ball again ... He still can flush the ball but not most of the time ... About 50-60% of the times based on my observation. I believe he can still manage to flush the ball on impact (without looking at the ball) 50% of the time only if he can maintain his spine angle and swing smoothly thru out the swing process ...

Last edited by Turbo on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 pm

If u lose sight of the ball, u may end up like this famous golfer ...  Laughing 

Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 1:55 am

Thanks bros for advises,think my body too stiff already... Can't get the body coil without minor head rotation....sigh...
Back to top Go down
18underPar
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
18underPar

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 2:33 am

Golf noob wrote:
Thanks bros for advises,think my body too stiff already... Can't get the body coil without minor head rotation....sigh...

swing within yourself, it's about scoring, not who can hit the ball the longest! just ask zach johnson Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.EighteenUnderPar.com
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 8:45 am

your back shld face target at max of coil. (for me...there are some RSS folks out there who don't need)

to turn your shoulder, many people use hands and not turn the waist.

for me to turn shoulder, I must make sure my waist is turned first.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 9:48 am

try with eyes close
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:26 am

18underPar wrote:
Golf noob wrote:

swing within yourself, it's about scoring, not who can hit the ball the longest! just ask zach johnson Wink

Absolutely! Good advice ...  cheers
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:29 am

Gray wrote:
your back shld face target at max of coil. (for me...there are some RSS folks out there who don't need)

to turn your shoulder, many people use hands and not turn the waist.

for me to turn shoulder, I must make sure my waist is turned first.

If you turn your waist first, you might turn your waist more than your shoulders. The shoulders should turn about 90 deg whilst the waist should not be turning more than 45 deg in order to create the appropriate torque (isolation) to produce max swing speed ...
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Have u considered that the backswing length for people with different levels of flexibility might be different?

Or that you msy not need as long a backswing as you think to get good speed and distance?

If u turn your bofy a certain distance and then feel stuck, there is probably a good physical explanation, turning past this point will require some form of adjustment, which will then require an equivalent amount ofcompensation to get to a proper impact position.

See a coach
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Backswing checkpoint   Backswing checkpoint I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Backswing checkpoint
Page 1 of 1