Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tips Needed For Backswing

Go down 
+19
Turbo
Winston
Slicer51
Birdman
Tituman
abadan
dmateo
acidic88
jhan18
pushslice
Lee36328
duffader
mengteck71
solarpop
wilkang
sandkie
TourSwing
alvin7379
harimau
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
harimau
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
harimau

Tips Needed For Backswing Empty
PostSubject: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Hello All,

Noob here, was told that I need to keep my left hand parallel to the shaft angle at the top of the backswing and I am finding it difficult to achieve this when there is so many other things I need to remember during the swing. Razz

So far, I've tried practicing in front of a mirror to try and get a feel wheere my arms should be, but when it comes to the actual swing I still can't seem to get it consistent..

Would appreciate any kind of tips you guys have to fix this.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:10 pm

I think one back swing should go not go beyond what your body permits... There is no reason why would you need to replicate an 'ideal' golf swing and make the god knows how many degree turn done by the pros...

You might be doing a 3/4 or half back swing... but if u can hit it straight and decent... who can fault you?

Play within what your body can do... over doing it for the sake of replicating something that your body is not capable of doing... you risk injuring yourself and worst... making the game not enjoyable...
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:12 pm

harimau wrote:

left hand parallel to the shaft angle at the top of the backswing

I dont follow! Care to elaborate?
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:49 pm

TourSwing wrote:
harimau wrote:

Maybe he means perpendicular?
Back to top Go down
harimau
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
harimau

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:53 pm

TourSwing wrote:
harimau wrote:

Hi TourSwing, take a look at the picture below

Tips Needed For Backswing 6

What I meant was, say for example using the pic above, how his left hand was parallel to the red line, which is where the shaft angle is at address
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:59 pm

That is actually the swing plane.
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:02 pm

Been staring at that pic for 5 mins and i swear i can't see a difference between the before and after....
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:07 pm

its just like in Golf Channel, the guy show Michelle Wie's swing change.. i also dunno what is the difference in the two Michelle Wie's swing
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:07 pm

If you back swing by turning your shoulders, u should be in plane. If hands only, high chance not in plane. I know it after 4 yrs. And I was hands most of the time.
Back to top Go down
harimau
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
harimau

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:24 pm

wilkang wrote:

Yes!!! Swing plane! Thats what I was referring to. Sorry still trying to digest all the jargons of the game. :p
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:26 pm

harimau wrote:
wilkang wrote:

Yes!!! Swing plane! Thats what I was referring to. Sorry still trying to digest all the jargons of the game. :p

Take your time in this journey...it'll be loads of fun. Tips Needed For Backswing 293543

Do join us at our weekly range meetings every wednesdys at MBGC.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:40 pm

harimau wrote:
TourSwing wrote:
harimau wrote:

Hi TourSwing, take a look at the picture below

Tips Needed For Backswing 6

What I meant was, say for example using the pic above, how his left hand was parallel to the red line, which is where the shaft angle is at address

This is interesting...

Among some more hardcore circles in lesser-known but more focused discussion groups, there is a difference of opinion which is better, the 'before' or the 'after.'

The 'before' and 'after' will result is two fundamentally different ways of deriving power from the pivot.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:49 pm

mengteck71 wrote:
its just like in Golf Channel, the guy show Michelle Wie's swing change.. i also dunno what is the difference in the two Michelle Wie's swing

yes, Mengteck! That particular golfix snippet doesnt make any sense at all. He's giving tips that has nothing to do with discussion on Michelle Wie's posture.
Back to top Go down
harimau
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
harimau

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:50 pm

solarpop wrote:
Been staring at that pic for 5 mins and i swear i can't see a difference between the before and after....

Wait till you read the article...gets even more confusing. kekekeke Laughing
Back to top Go down
harimau
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
harimau

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:57 pm

duffader wrote:
If you back swing by turning your shoulders, u should be in plane. If hands only, high chance not in plane. I know it after 4 yrs. And I was hands most of the time.

Yes yes, makes sense. But then again at some point the arms are activated, especially how the right arms bends , albeit that it's done naturally.

What is bugging me is that where my ball ends up is so inconsistent. I mean I am not talking about the extreme pull or slice. Even at half swings the deviations can be quite a lot
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:10 pm

mengteck71 wrote:

This should make it easier ...

Tips Needed For Backswing Golf_b10
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:10 pm

harimau, I find the ball flight laws very helpful to find root cause of directional mishit. Backswing can be anything, as proven by Moe Norman, Jim Furyk, Jack Nicklaus, TW, Ben Hogan, they all have different back swing or swing planes.

What matters most is the downswing (i.e. swing path) to impact (i.e clubhead position) to follow through (swing path again).

swingpath can be straight, out to in, in to out (some say now in to in, but I think it's just an extension of in to out)

impact can be open face, closed face, square face. This is affected by grip and clubhead position at address.

so the theory is there for us to analyse/understand...but how to fix the problem? Here's where a pro can help Very Happy

Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi Matey

I spent a full month trying to get the club in the 'after' position and have finally succeeded. A lot of mirror work has to be done. Basically the change has helped me swing the golf club on a singular plane throughtout the swing, as demonstrated by Tourswing with the additional line he has added to the picture. As a method, a one plane swing is one that I would advocate and one that I do incorporate into my teaching. However, I understand that everyone has the physical limtations as well as their different goals ( i wouldn't be teaching the whole method to someone who just wants something short term). If you wish to swing the club back in such a manner, practice with the mirror as much as you can. Make a few practice swings and stop at the top of your backswing to have a look at the mirror. Keep that feel of that position in mind and then execute.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
harimau
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
harimau

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:38 pm

wilkang wrote:
harimau wrote:
wilkang wrote:

Take your time in this journey...it'll be loads of fun. Tips Needed For Backswing 293543

Do join us at our weekly range meetings every wednesdys at MBGC.

Thanks for the invitation wilkang. Will try to make it. What time is the meeting usually?
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:43 pm

Hi harimau, the weekly SSN @ MBGC starts at 8.30pm till late. We'tr usually at the bays nearest to Canopy. See you there. Smile
Back to top Go down
harimau
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
harimau

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:45 pm

pushslice wrote:
harimau, I find the ball flight laws very helpful to find root cause of directional mishit. Backswing can be anything, as proven by Moe Norman, Jim Furyk, Jack Nicklaus, TW, Ben Hogan, they all have different back swing or swing planes.

What matters most is the downswing (i.e. swing path) to impact (i.e clubhead position) to follow through (swing path again).

swingpath can be straight, out to in, in to out (some say now in to in, but I think it's just an extension of in to out)

impact can be open face, closed face, square face. This is affected by grip and clubhead position at address.

so the theory is there for us to analyse/understand...but how to fix the problem? Here's where a pro can help Very Happy

You are making me confused now. Mad

I definitely need to work on my swing from start to end, but I guess I have to break it down part by part and start from the beginning of the swing.

I think my one piece takeaway is improving...

Now the backswing...

Next impact, follow through, lag, etc...so stay tuned for more 'boh liao' noob threads. Razz
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 12:06 am

it is a swing.
If I were you you need to focus on swing characteristic. The back swing set you to a comfortable position to start the down swing. This is different to everybody due to the fact that no one share the exact same physical traits and muscle structure.

There is however a guidance on how to do this properly as a generic template to follow, but you need to work within your own physic to find out what is comfortable for you. You can do slight variation to suites your body as long as you keep within the principle generic rule.

Then as everyone say, swing it down through the ball. (no it's not hit the ball). another characteristic of a swing from my experience is that it starts from 0 and then accelerate down through the ball. if you got it right you shouldn't even worry about direction as the right swing plane will bring your club face back to where it was at the start (the ball). And if you managed to do that while completely relax (ie with no correction, just relying on gravitational force and club weight and CG), you will end up with a repeatable swing (gravity and club weight and CG is constant). Repeatable swing = consistency = good striker. Not necessarily good golfer since there are other important elements that you still need (putting comes in mind), but none the less good ball striker you will be (as Yoda said).

might worth googling video clip from Rickart Strongert on golf swing, it was quite usefull for me at least. May the force be with you.

HTH
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 2:08 am

By looking at the pics. I have a strong feeling that the only thing that has changed is his grip. Looks like a stronger left hand grip in the after pic compared to the before pic. If u look really closely, there is a slight hinge on his left wrist on e before pic and is flat on the after pic.

I 2nd pushslice's comment. I don't think u should be too concerned with all these check points of a golf swing. However, if u are a real beginner who's never held a club in ur life, then it's good to cultivate such habits of a "text book" swing.

It's already hard enough to hit the ball straight.. Don't get too bogged down with all these swing mechanics and trying to get ur club in the right position on top. some might refer to it as the 8 check points of a golf swing.

Even if u do manage to replicate that position on top. Can u visually see what ure doing without a mirror? Or r U just forcing ur brain to focus on it rather than focusing on hitting the ball?

I'd would rather u focus your attention on getting the club in or under the swing plane, on your downswing and making solid contact.
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 5:59 am

abadan wrote:
By looking at the pics. I have a strong feeling that the only thing that has changed is his grip. Looks like a stronger left hand grip in the after pic compared to the before pic. If u look really closely, there is a slight hinge on his left wrist on e before pic and is flat on the after pic.

Hi mate

it's not grip. Totally different position at the top. The whole idea of a one plane swing is to match the left forearm and shaft with the plane line. When you do so the left wrist would be flat as in the 'after' picture. Harimau if you would like to know more about this swing method, drop by for SSN next wednesday. I'm probably gonna pop by.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 7:20 am

Luckily I don't have so much problem about all this swing thoughts and maybe thats why I will forever be a season beginner. But then because of that I truly enjoyed every game I ever played. My method is very simple. SEE BALL HIT BALL !. I do advised beginner though to go to a coach and get the basics right and not swing like me, a copycat Jim Furyk, well not exactly copy but it just developed into something like him. Enjoy the game..... Very Happy

titu
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips Needed For Backswing   Tips Needed For Backswing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tips Needed For Backswing
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next