Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putting tips

Go down 
+2
and68low
ironhead
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putting tips Empty
PostSubject: Putting tips   Putting tips I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 3:12 am

Putting a golf ball straight on a line is one thing and putting it into a hole is another.
trust me, the former is easy to master. however, the latter is not.

Apart from sticking the tees into the ground and cautiously balance the ball on it, putting is the easiest thing to pick up in golf.

but seriously, like many, i also use both blade and mallet putters, depending on my mood and more so, the green condition. ie mallet on wet/slow green and vice versa.

if u look at people like Dave Perz, he has putting techniques analysed down to the molecular structure. no disrespect to him but for me, tht’s overdoing it. Do we want to knw that much details?

whether u putt with a mallet/blade or even yr wedge, whether u have a shutter type swing, straight through and through, left to right or be it right to left. The face of yr putter needs to be at least perpendicular ie square to yr line of putt to start with, it sounds simple, doesn’t it?? You may even attempt to impart spins on yr putts if u are bored and you soon will discover that the spins cancel itself out after a few ball rolls. unless it's a short putts who cares if u spin yr ball? first thing to say, I am not so much into the putting mechanics. So, do take my advice with a pinch of salt.

personally, the most important factor when it comes to putting is not the type of putter you hold in your palms but how accurate you read the breaks on the green, follows closely by putting speed (Ball speed requires less practice as I believe you can develop the feel of the right speed subconsciously from self awareness, yup… leave it to the brain).

the easiest way to check how straight yr putting is to putt on a smooth tiled surface at least 5 paces fr an imaginary target and use the grouted joints between the tiles as yr guide and all shall be revealed!

reading the green accurately can only comes with frequent visits to the actual golf course as not many driving ranges have decent greens for practice. This explains why some can swing a club beautifully but only to let 3-putts wrecking the score.

Putting requires the least understanding in any swing mechanic, u stand there with yr arms hang down like a pendulum and just bloody aim to where u think the ball will break. Most of the time, it's 6 inches backward and 6 inches forward of the ball, sounds so easy, doesn't it? well, it does if u keep things simple. Golfers are genetically programmed to over-complicate things.

unfortunately, one cannot teach what is the ‘right pace’ for the right putt, it’s like teaching someone abt experience and memory. What most aids will do at most is to help with alignment, period. Guess what, in putting, it does not matter if yr feet are not in alignment with yr putter or the intended putting line, as the putting swing is so short this feet misalignment has insignificant effect on yr putting strokes.

so enough said, here are my 3 quick tips.

1) less breaks on an uphill putt, likewise more breaks on a downhill putt (the breaks are disproportionate to the speed of putt)
2) do not come up short, always putt past the hole by 1-3 ball rolls
3) on a long putt, yr aim is to get it close to the hole. if it drops in, tht’s a bonus.

so, it’s 1,2,3 and tht’s all u hav to know..(well, for me at least)
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

Putting tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting tips   Putting tips I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 8:06 am

Ironhead, I would not have responded to your thread if it is title "sharing my experience on putting" but since it is title as "Putting Tips" I have to comment, after a going thru it I must emphasize on your statement about "take my advice with a pinch of salt" , so guys out there Please take ironhead tips with a huge pinch of salt !

Last edited by and68low on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

Putting tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting tips   Putting tips I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 8:17 am

I will only listen to tips by and68low ... Cause he is ginger not salt
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Putting tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting tips   Putting tips I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 2:42 pm

must sleep with the putter, commit to the relationship, then she will bear fruit for u......
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

Putting tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting tips   Putting tips I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 pm

@Ironhead...1) less breaks on an uphill putt, likewise more breaks on a downhill putt (the breaks are disproportionate to the speed of putt)
3) on a long putt, yr aim is to get it close to the hole. if it drops in, tht’s a bonus.

Bro, I have been playing for the past 7 yrs and I know that theory very well. But my problem is executing it. So do you really have better tips to achieve these theories ? scratch Otherwise its LPPL. lol!

titu
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Putting tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting tips   Putting tips I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Tituman wrote:
@Ironhead...1) less breaks on an uphill putt, likewise more breaks on a downhill putt (the breaks are disproportionate to the speed of putt)

Bro, I have been playing for the past 7 yrs and I know that theory very well. But my problem is executing it. So do you really have better tips to achieve these theories ? scratch Otherwise its LPPL. lol!

titu

Hello uncle... dont tok kok ok... I can attest on yr putting skill with the Zen... its deadly sharp.... Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Putting tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting tips   Putting tips I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putting tips
Page 1 of 1