Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft

Go down 
+5
S70B
mervyntan
Ssquirrel
ironfist
jimmychoo
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft Empty
PostSubject: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 12:14 am

I have come across a video that show you the consistency of TM stock shaft against other shaft.
Another excuse for you if you don't hit well Surprised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oncXSFLR5RE
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 am

very very interesting... but what do these inconsistent oscillations mean?
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:05 am

It doesn't mean much to me as my swing has more fault than the shaft has Laughing
It is just another excuse for me when I don't hit it well. Razz
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:07 am

haha next time at the range if you hear someone cursing at their TM stock shaft it's probably a GR member. Razz
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:10 am

what's the video about?
I clicked on the link; saw some shaft twanging and then got distracted by the video on the side??? hahahaha

For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft 2j2zqzc albino
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:23 am

hahaha i got distracted by that too!

2 million views somemore!
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:27 am

Walau......no wonder both of you don't understand the meaning of the video Mad
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:30 am

wah.. someone got more views than me.. i also got 1.435432 million views on mine.. but mine same title, but mine is "live" version.. hehe
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:31 am

jimmychoo wrote:
Walau......no wonder both of you don't understand the meaning of the video Mad

bro jimmydchoo.. next time u bring laser then i attach the laser to my shaft and shake for u to see.. let u fully understand the meaning..
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 4:36 am

TM stock shafts have been crappy of late. What your shaft flex says when you buy them off the rack means nought as their QC is totally not there. I remember a thread in the old Toonshouse that was posted by DGMan about finding 1 stock driver from them that was 48" in length. The club was purchased from the now-defunct GN if I'm not wrong.

They are not the only culprits though as most of the other OEMs are pretty much the same. That's one of my pet peeves when Nike markets their drivers fitted with 'Diamana' or Titleist with their 'made for Titleist VooDoo' shafts when its nowhere near the real thing in terms of specifications like cpms, torque and flex, just the stamping. The decent offerings are mainly from Callaway when it comes to stock shaft.

Still, I guess to maximise profit, they will concentrate their technology on the club heads and let the shaft manufacturers concentrate their effort on stamping the crappy stock shafts with their name and letting people who are not in the know think they are hitting the real thing.

PS: I have never heard of Fujita shafts either. Razz
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

FLO or flat line oscillation is a bit passe in today's shaft technology.

why? the manufacturing technology for good aftermarket shafts today allows for application of different tonnage graphite prepeg to different section of the shaft. most commonly used is the 60 to 80T range. however some shafts use up to 90T but of course this is not applied to the entire shaft, depending on the desired kickpoint and balance, the better shaft used them on the butt and tip section. This also explains why shaft price can vary so much in production. and its no brainer why a US$6 shaft cannot out perform the better aftermarket version. Just try the Motore OEM and aftermarket and you will experience the world of difference.

in my opinion, FLO has relevance in determining whether a shaft is more stable at the swing up rather than maintaining the striking line at the swing down. i swear the guy in the video was going a bit easy on the Red Dragon.

there is one more revealing fact....most of the graphite prepeg used in shafts is supplied by one source and thats Mitsubishi Rayon and the total sales from the golf industry for MR is less than 1% of their annual turnover. so its safe to say that you can claim to fame that you are using a Mitsubishi Rayon material shaft.

and Rex you can be assured that your present shaft has the 90T prepeg at the butt section.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:02 am

jimmychoo wrote:
I have come across a video that show you the consistency of TM stock shaft against other shaft.
Another excuse for you if you don't hit well Surprised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oncXSFLR5RE

Let me embed the video for you first:

As for the video itself, I wonder how other stock shafts perform. Stock shafts are, by their definition, stock. They aren't intended to be fantastic but certainly playable. Of course, if we all had the money, we would end up getting all our clubs re-shafted. However, it's a costly process. If you want a better shaft, you'll have to spend $.

The question is really this: seeing the inconsistent flexibility of the TM shaft in the video, how much of that will translate into a bad swing? I believe that the stiffness of the shaft also has something to do with the consistency but not being a clubfitter, I can only guess.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:25 am

the fulcrum is where it matters. and its not at the tip cos its clamp at the butt. when a golfer hits the driver its not going to react in the same way as the video shows cos the hands will move along at impact.

in my experience working with different brands today, titleist use some of the best shaft in their driver. some of the japanese brands like tourstage are also know to use aftermarket shafts in their standard equipment. if you bother to try both stock matrik on the tm and titty, you will find that they are very different in specs and performance.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:29 am

Damn cheem.

I just know they all CMI.

OT: I dunno if I should wait for the Titleist 710s though. There is a set of 2nd hand Scratch SB-1s with NS Pro Super Peening Blue X-Stiff shafts on sale at golfwrx which was offered to me at a pretty good deal. I HIT IT
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:23 am

DGMan, so with today's manufacturing technology for the better shafts, there is no real need for FLO? Would that also mean there is not real need for spine finding?

With my unprofession personal view, (and perhaps due to the visual gratification), I feel that FLO is more "accurate" than spine finding using a bearing based spine finder to locate the spine; although usually with most of the shafts that I've messed around with; The ""FLO" plane is 90* to the "hard spine"?
Anyway with today's better shafts, I don't see much more than 3cpm difference between different spine/flo planes.

So DGMan, what's your professional opinion on shaft spine finding and what is the best position to place the "spine/flo" etc in a shaft or not much difference either way?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:38 am

Seriously, I have never seen a shaft being tested to find the FLO until now. I thought spining would be able to achieve the same result.

So Master SS, can you then elaborate more whether Puring is a better way than the other 2 mentioned? There is a shop here that charges $240USD extra for a set of irons to be SST pured while fitting.

When I had the KBS installed, spining made a little diff to the results. However, I can play DGs spined or not spined and it still works the same for me.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:58 am

OT abit...

quite long along, i bought a big bertha with stock shaft (think it is a fujikura shaft ba)... i can hit it in the beginning... but now, i cant hit it at all.....

a fren told me my shaft is lousy and he show me by "twisting" it, i am amazed by how much it can be twisted... (what i mean is, he hold the club head with one hand n the grip with the other, then he can "turn" the grip clockwise or anti by quite a fair bit Shocked ) for my current driver shaft, i cant do it....

of course, tht's based on my experience..... a high hcp one...

Last edited by jaketang on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:59 am

Cos you are a lefty and it twists only the right way.

lol!
Its just to show u that stock shafts are high torque.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:01 am

rex, when u mean high torque, it means we can twist it further then the low torque?

high torque also = more difficult to hit straight? compare to low torque?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:06 am

Torque is just the amount of twist in a shaft. Slower swingers can benefit from it cos it gives the club time for it to square up the face.

Most stock shafts are in the mid to high 4s in torque. Aftermarket ones can offer lower options from 3.1 to Eric's legendary 8 series Graman which was 1.7 or 1.8 I think.

Lower torque might benefit faster swingers like you JT tongue . I know I do. I slice the bejesus out of a ball big time if I use R shafts contrary to popular belief that softer shafts make you hook the ball.

Right now, I have used shafts between 2.5-3.1. I need to get on the Trackman soon to check out the numbers too which spectrum of the band suits me better.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:10 am

tx for the answer Rex... learn something...

but i dun really swing fast.... ard 95 i think (from BFG monitor).. i am always trying to swing within myself n "look" nice nia... hahahaha

at least i can give excuse like no form even i miss..... my follow thru at least will look good...hahahaa Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:19 am

S70B; I've tried SST puring before. Actually, it's quite an old system. I first saw the SST pure system in golfsmith back in 1999 or 2000. It's quite a cool looking system, the shaft go into the contraption which then exerts a compression force (I think?) and then rotates the shaft and the sensors will read the results. You get a cool looking graph printout and they'll paste a sticker to tell you how to align the shaft (supposedly most stable plane).

I tried it on a UST Proforce on my driver and I could feel the difference. But I also remember that the freq readings on the shaft when rotated also had some differences, and so the SST puring might have worked better. Because of the sensors in the SST contraption, I think they claim it's accurate to a degree? while the other "methods" more or less only find a stable quadrant or "1/8" of the shaft section.

I personally would not pay the extra $$ to have my irons SST pured, (mainly because I'm a tightwad and don't have that kind of extra $). I think with today's advances in mfg technology, this might not be really a necessity especially if you are already paying for premium shafts.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:45 am

Cool.

Yeah, personally I wouldn't pay more for SST puring as I think I am not as sensitive as TW to be able to feel the diff between normal spining and it.

As for FLO, nah, I think what Eric does is good enuff.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Wow, all so pro leh..... FLO, Spine, SST pured - Are they all actually the same thing? scratch
For me, I remember when I used to build my own fishing rod many years ago, I use only my 2 hand to hold and roll against the floor to feel and determine the spine of the graphite. Look like golf need more complicated technique to do this. Rolling Eyes
And I think the game itself is already so complicated Suspect
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 6:47 am

Jimmy, we just need to concentrate on the golf, let DGMan handle the equipments' finer details for us cos he's THE MAN.

OT: After a unusually slow round of golf today (its monday and it took 4hr for 2 players and it was jammed up w a couple of twosome groups in front too), I saw what Floridans do while waiting in between holes and tee shots - The single ball behind me whipped out a fishing rod every available moment he had while waiting in between holes to try his luck. (There are natural ponds and swamps on every hole here) I think you will enjoy it when you can combine both your loves together. Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft   For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For those that can't hit well with a TM stock shaft
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next