Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changing shaft for older model irons

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Fore-Fore
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Fore-Fore

Changing shaft for older model irons Empty
PostSubject: Changing shaft for older model irons   Changing shaft for older model irons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi

A friend of mine passed me a set of stock shaft 'S' flex Syard SUS304 UII irons (4-9,PW,AW,SW). As it's quite a old model, i wonder if it's still worthwhile to reshaft it to a 'R' flex. Would need some advice from all the experience golfers here .... Very Happy

Thanks cheers
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft for older model irons   Changing shaft for older model irons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 4:20 pm

The age of the model has little bearing on the shaft. If the shaft of the irons is not suitable to the golfer, then the shaft should be changed to one which fits the golfer.
Back to top Go down
Fore-Fore
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Fore-Fore

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft for older model irons   Changing shaft for older model irons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 4:33 pm

Thank you Bro Technospz for the reply.

So if i like the feel of the heads, it is still ok to change the shaft to a R flex to suit my swing?
As everyone knows that the R&D club makers put into the new irons to make them more forgiving, I was just wondering whether which is a better option, to reshaft the old set or to buy a new set iron. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft for older model irons   Changing shaft for older model irons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 4:45 pm

Fore-Fore wrote:
Thank you Bro Technospz for the reply.

So if i like the feel of the heads, it is still ok to change the shaft to a R flex to suit my swing?
As everyone knows that the R&D club makers put into the new irons to make them more forgiving, I was just wondering whether which is a better option, to reshaft the old set or to buy a new set iron. Very Happy

Most definitely.

Some bros I know are using much older heads which suit them very well. But these are attached to more current shafts which go well with their swing speed etc.

If you like the irons but don't like the shafts, then consider a change of shafts. But, if you have an inkling for a new set, then get one which suits you overall, i.e. the heads suit you and the shafts suit you. This is likely the more expensive option so it boils down to personal preference.

I used to use a more recent set of irons but recently moved to an older set of irons (2 seasons ago) but reshafted the lot. Oddly, I also picked older shafts which I felt were more for me. The combination hasn't quite paid of but I'm working at it Smile
Back to top Go down
Fore-Fore
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Fore-Fore

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft for older model irons   Changing shaft for older model irons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks Bro for a wonderful advice ...

Guess i will give both options a good thought .... Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft for older model irons   Changing shaft for older model irons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Fore-Fore wrote:
Thanks Bro for a wonderful advice ...

Guess i will give both options a good thought .... Smile

By the way, some of the old iron heads are really good. Don't know about the ones you have (not a S-yard fan) but I think S-yard stuff is pretty good. Old iron heads are also rare and can be in demand (you know the old saying, "they don't make 'em like they used to"). So, don't be too hasty to pick up something new just because it looks good (marketing does that). What's more important is whether the irons suit you... bells and whistles aside.
Back to top Go down
Fore-Fore
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Fore-Fore

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft for older model irons   Changing shaft for older model irons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 5:49 pm

Yup, i find the clubs very forgiving too. Have to control my backside itchyness syndrome and not to use Xmas as a reason to buy myself a new set of irons ... hahaha

Thanks alot bro ... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft for older model irons   Changing shaft for older model irons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 5:59 pm

what kinda shaft you thinking ?? from 50 to 150 per pc, unless your GOD brother give you a spare set of shaft.. still cost 140 or wat ever to install them, go buy a new set and keep the economy going.
Try racing a Datsun SSS or old mini cooper S against the entry level WRX, the feeling is should have change or throw away the old JUNK long ago..
This are my 2 cents
N good luck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft for older model irons   Changing shaft for older model irons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing shaft for older model irons
Page 1 of 1