Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Starhill or Pulai Springs?

Go down 
+7
beond
TDO
jimmychoo
AJTAURUS
pushslice
TheFocalPoint
BigblackGoof
11 posters
AuthorMessage
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

Starhill or Pulai Springs? Empty
PostSubject: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Anyone here played these two courses before? Planning for a game this friday, but can't decide which one to play.. any advice from experience bros?

cheers
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 7:35 am

neither. both suck.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:03 am

is pulai open for public on weekends?
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:34 am

Pulai course is narrow and has alot of undulations.........quite a tricky course. Certainly not for biginners!
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 9:25 am

I like Starhill..... walking only..... flat and easy on the legs......
I never like Pulai Spring, always have bad score there..... come to think of it, I don't like any course except the one at mandai, where I can play below 72 for 18 holes Razz
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks bros for the advices... hmm, looks like Horizons is the better choice of all...
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 10:30 am

Yes, I agree. Played at Horizons last 2 weeks and it was fantastic! Greens were a bit fast though.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 10:42 am

AJTAURUS wrote:
Pulai course is narrow and has alot of undulations.........quite a tricky course. Certainly not for biginners!

Pulai Springs

I was previously a Pulai Springs member until I gave it up in 2001. Big loss.

There are two 18 holes. Melana Course and Pulai course.

Melana is a tight course and not advisable for beginners. Pulai is friendlier but slightly longer. If you love challenges, go for Melana.

It's been 10 years since I last played there and have no idea if the layout has changed.

Starhill

I only played there once back in 2002, I think. The course is quite well maintained and easier. Don't have any bad feelings about the course. A little bit of walking won't harm our health though. I actually prefer buggy on track courses. This way we can have a little bit of exercise for our legs instead of driving the buggy next to our ball.

Horizon Hill

The course is quite well maintained. I played there twice on weekends in 2007 or 2008, can't remember the actual year. Age has caught up with me. Laughing It's a bit expensive though. It can be quite hot owing to the lack of vegetation and trees. It will probably require another 5 years or so for the trees to mature for it to become more challenging and cooler.
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 10:53 am

and not forgetting Horizon has lots of water...!
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 10:55 pm

Thanks bros for the advice... due to recent weather and "lesson" after playing our 1st 18 at Legends, we decided to play our 2nd 18 at Horizons instead... the "lesson" we had was due to the recent rain, some of the fairways at Legends were soaked and muddy. We spent some time looking for plucked balls...

Anyway Horizons did not escape the effects of the recent rain, some of the fairways at the front 9 were in bad shape - muddy, even though there were no rain yesterday...

I guess most of the golf courses will suffer the same fate of poor maintenance as they age... i hope the officials at Horizons could work harder to maintain the course to the condition that we saw in the last Iskandar Open.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 11:41 pm

Personally, compared to some of Singapore's courses, I think golf courses in Johor were built with a low budget. The developer were probably hoping to make a quick buck from the rising popularity of this game in this regioin. As such, not much thought was put in making sure the drainage is designed and built. Wink
Back to top Go down
beond
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
beond

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Starhill is very tough , in my opinion. Not well maintained, cannot differeniate the fairway from the rough. Once the ball is off course to the fairway rough, goodluck to u, damm difficult to find ball man!
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Between the 2, go for Pulai, at least maintenance is better.

However, given a thrid choice, I'll go for Horizon Hills anytime - great layout and good maintenance of the course.
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 10:03 am

Played HH yesterday and the rough has been maintained at Iskandar Open level, meaning if you miss the fairway, good luck hitting the ball 50m....that is if you can find the ball.....the greens were rolling at 10.5 according to the caddy.......and the fairway was a little wet.......i still enjoyed the course but my flightmates have sworn never to return until they cut the rough....
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 10:59 am

golfool2009 wrote:
Played HH yesterday and the rough has been maintained at Iskandar Open level, meaning if you miss the fairway, good luck hitting the ball 50m....that is if you can find the ball.....the greens were rolling at 10.5 according to the caddy.......and the fairway was a little wet.......i still enjoyed the course but my flightmates have sworn never to return until they cut the rough....

So say a fairway finder.....hahahahah
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 8:20 pm

golfool2009 wrote:

Played HH on e 14th Dec n its my v first visit! Impressed n excited i was when drivg thru all sections b4 arr e club hse! cheers
Was even delighted fr e first few holes until some followg holes ball landed on e rough! Crying or Very sad
nightmare I can oni descript it. What a Face
First tried w woods, die! No
Tried another w rescue wood, die! clown
Conservative used irons, finally clear! cheers
After such rough rendeer, tee off shoot die die must land fairway! afro
Overall a challengg course bt oni on weekdays coz rate re better! Swing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starhill or Pulai Springs?   Starhill or Pulai Springs? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starhill or Pulai Springs?
Page 1 of 1