Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cheap does not mean good

Go down 
+25
simbk
tan_hong_wee
Birdman
Bangla123
fata
dmateo
Lee36328
duffader
slinger
Technospaz
nutty88
jwing
Denmeister
pushslice
Duval_S
Salty Dog
mengteck71
scotty
peter.golfer
pocketace
iron eagle
Newtogolf
benedictteo83
ttkm
TDO
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

Cheap does not mean good Empty
PostSubject: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 12:54 pm

I brought my friend to Golf Direct about 2 months ago to buy a pair of Slazenger Gold Yellow stripes golf shoes. As he is a beginner (so to speak) he only play once or twice a month at most. We all thought it was a good bargain at $29.

During the 2nd game at The Legends some one month ago part of the sole opened. He glued it back. Yesterday's (15 Oct'11) game at Poresia was only the 3rd time he's wearing that pair of shoes and both the shoes' soles came apart, totally. We were fortunate I have 2 pairs of spare shoe strings with me so he used it to tie the toes and heels to continue with the game, albeit a bit of discomfort. Crying or Very sad

Concluding, Cheap does not mean Good. But expensive (in my opinion) shoes also do not represent good as well. Another friend of mine bought a pair of Footjoy for something like $160 and it only last him for less than 10 rounds of golf. Sad

In the end, I think it's boils down to luck (sometimes). tongue

Last edited by TDO on Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ttkm
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 1:01 pm

My addidas 360 that cost 150 has lasted me 2 years. However i am surprise that the footjoy only managed to last less than 10 rounds.
Back to top Go down
benedictteo83
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
benedictteo83

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 1:07 pm

bro IMHO, shoes tends to "open mouth" when we seldom wear it. just like my branded leather shoes although it's expensive but due to seldom wear the glue that sticks the sole harden and when compress it break and open mouth. not sure if i got it right.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Sometimes it can be due to very old stocks that they are clearing, lelong lelong. I bought 2 pairs of Katana at only @29/pair at Pan West Jln Peminpin more than a year ago. The first pair lasted slightly more than a year. I wore the other spare new pair just last week and again yesterday.

For the information, I golf regularly every Sat rotating between The Legends, Orchard and Tg. Puteri until I joined Poresia on 30 Aug'11. Smile
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 1:34 pm

They don't make stuff that last these days.

Fortunately my pair of FJs are still going on strong. Bought for about S$100 in Bangkok. The only problem is that one of the spikes is coming off.
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 2:19 pm

TDO wrote:
I brought my friend to Golf Direct about 2 months ago to buy a pair of Slazenger Gold Yellow stripes golf shoes. As he is a beginner (so to speak) he only play once or twice a month at most. We all thought it was a good bargain at $29.

During the 2nd game at The Legends some one month ago part of the sole opened. He glued it back. Yesterday's (15 Oct'11) game at Poresia was only the 3rd time he's wearing that pair of shoes and both the shoes' soles came apart, totally. We were fortunate I have 2 pairs of spare shoe strings with me so he used it to tie the toes and heels to continue with the game, albeit a bit of discomfort. Crying or Very sad

Concluding, Cheap does not mean Good. But expensive (in my opinion) shoes also do not represent good as well. Another friend of mine bought a pair of Footjoy for something like $160 and it only last him for less than 10 rounds of golf. Sad

In the end, I think it's boils down to luck (sometimes). tongue

They sell cheap because those shoes has been kept in their warehouse for a long time, by
the time your fren bought it and wear it, it could been the 4th year!!! with our weather condition, high humidity, these shoes, glue disintergrate easily!!

I bought my Katana golf shoes from Pan West Sale, this of shoes only lasted my One year!

If you bought Foot Joy it could last a very long time!!!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Shoes have shelf life. That's the reality. Regardless of brand, price, time will take it's toll if the shoes are past seasons and store for long time
Back to top Go down
peter.golfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
peter.golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 5:27 pm

One of my friends running transviews golf shared with me once.
For shoes, invest in a good pair. Sales are usually old stocks and the glues are all dried up, tends to give way easily.
Back to top Go down
scotty
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 5:54 pm

was reading this topic and true enough, my old pair shoe sole came apart after 4years in the cabinet.

I think the "rule of thumb" is buy as and when you need one.

Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 6:09 pm

The shoes may be a older model and was produced and stock up sometime ago. So to you, it may be a new pair of shoe, but was produced couple of years ago. The glue would have been screwed Razz
Back to top Go down
Salty Dog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 6:19 pm

A friend of mine bought a pair of callaway and kept it in his store room for one year. The first time he brought it out to play the shoes became crocodile. Since then, I took out all my shoes and rotate them among my games. Now I have 4 pairs in rotation.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 6:29 pm

My friend, suppose to be quite thrifty type, bought 5 pairs of relatively cheap golf shoes when they are on offer. Once he wore the new shoe after one yr he bought. It opened mouth..

To me, buying 5 pairs of cheap shoes (easily adds up to $200-$300 in total for 5 pairs) and keep is not a good idea. Better to buy two pairs of mid-end shoes to rotate wearing.. also can match shirts and pants for some fashion parade Smile
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 6:49 pm

Rotation has never come across my mind but it's a good proposition. Thanks for the tip bro.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 6:59 pm

I have only one pair of shoe... I make sure I wear it every time I golf which is once every 4 to 6 weeks
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 7:17 pm

Duval_S wrote:
I have only one pair of shoe... I make sure I wear it every time I golf which is once every 4 to 6 weeks

absolutely the best tip of how to preserve our golf shoe longer Laughing
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 9:04 pm

mengteck71 wrote:
My friend, suppose to be quite thrifty type, bought 5 pairs of relatively cheap golf shoes when they are on offer. Once he wore the new shoe after one yr he bought. It opened mouth..

To me, buying 5 pairs of cheap shoes (easily adds up to $200-$300 in total for 5 pairs) and keep is not a good idea. Better to buy two pairs of mid-end shoes to rotate wearing.. also can match shirts and pants for some fashion parade Smile

I play about 3 rounds of 9 holes per week and 2 rounds of 18 every weekend. I rotate between 3 pairs of Footjoy Dryjoys. After every game, I will use toothbrush and water to clean the exterior and then air it out at my balcony for a day.

These 3 pairs have lasted more than 2 years already.

Bear in mind too that I clock in more golf than most people and I play walking golf.

The Dryjoys are waterproof: heavy rain, if laces are tied snuggly, even water from wet socks won't be able to get in.

Comfort: the inner soles are the best!

So, if u wanna save money, buy dryjoys and make sure u air it out for a day so that the moisture in the leather drys. This way the shoe will last.

Back to top Go down
jwing
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
jwing

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Denmeister wrote:
mengteck71 wrote:

I play about 3 rounds of 9 holes per week and 2 rounds of 18 every weekend. I rotate between 3 pairs of Footjoy Dryjoys. After every game, I will use toothbrush and water to clean the exterior and then air it out at my balcony for a day.

Bear in mind too that I clock in more golf than most people and I play walking golf.

The Dryjoys are waterproof: heavy rain, if laces are tied snuggly, even water from wet socks won't be able to get in.

Comfort: the inner soles are the best!

So, if u wanna save money, buy dryjoys and make sure u air it out for a day so that the moisture in the leather drys. This way the shoe will last.

Never keep the shoes inside the car boot....
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 8:57 am

My 2 cents worth of comments - NEVER buy golf shoes that are on sale. I have had enough bad experiences and after a few rounds, sure to see croc.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 9:14 am

Rarely has cheap ever meant good.

I've had my fair share of bad experiences with crappy golf shoes. Nowadays, I'd rather pay a bit more to get a long lasting pair.

BTW, Adidas' Tour 360 shoes are top rate...
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 am

DryJoys still the best Smile will try Nike Lunar Control soon
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 9:30 am

[quote="jwing"][quote="Denmeister"][quote="mengteck71"]My friend, suppose to be quite thrifty type, bought 5 pairs of relatively cheap golf shoes when they are on offer. Once he wore the new shoe after one yr he bought. It opened mouth..

Huh! Thrifty and bought 5 pairs. My God! How long is he going to keep the rest of the shoes? 3 years? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:03 am

Denmeister wrote:

i also rotate my 3 pairs of shoes, 2x FJ, 1xEcco......

likewise, the best is still my DryJoy.....
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:07 am

slinger wrote:
Denmeister wrote:

i also rotate my 3 pairs of shoes, 2x FJ, 1xEcco......

likewise, the best is still my DryJoy.....

Dryjoy not so dry in Phuket leh....
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 11:44 am

Technospaz wrote:
Rarely has cheap ever meant good.

I've had my fair share of bad experiences with crappy golf shoes. Nowadays, I'd rather pay a bit more to get a long lasting pair.

BTW, Adidas' Tour 360 shoes are top rate...

I fully agree; it's been my experience as well.

Economic market theory is always at work.

If it's both cheap and good, the market is inefficient, which is a short term phenomena.

In time, increased demand drives up the price, and soon, it becomes expensive and good.

A $29 pair lasting 10 days, for example, means $2.90 per day.

A $290 pair lasting 2 years, means $0.40 per day.

(For the sake of simplicity, we ignore compounding. How much interest can you get when you put $290 in a bank for two years?)

So, which is cheaper?
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 12:08 pm

in singapore.. that will be something like 0.0019% per annum.
I won't bother even calculating how much that will really yields in term of dollar for 290 bucks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap does not mean good   Cheap does not mean good I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap does not mean good
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next