Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putter to buy

Go down 
+9
shamusan
BabyCroc
Bangla123
jtek
mox
Technospaz
Derek
samT
mr joe
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mr joe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi guys,

Anyone owns a odyssey black series putter? Is that putter gd? It's going at $239 and I heard that it's the higher range of odyssey putter and the quality is comparable to Scotty ...is it true ??
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 3:36 pm

I don't own a black series odyssey, although I thought it looked v nice - the steel face ones in particular.

What interest me is your impression - "Quality is comparable to Scotty". You had in fact estbalished a perception that Scotty is good? If so, perhaps should invest in one then. A hundred dollars, or slightly more for a Scotty is probably not going to be an issue given that the putter can last v v long in your bag if you really liked it. My advice is go try your frens' putters and see what suits you. You probably can get a good feel toying with a few more putters in your hands before deciding.

My 2c.

Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Mr Joe,

I use a black series ix (the one with the insert) standard blade version. I think it is wonderfully balanced and it works well for me.

However, I suspect resale value of Odyssey putters is not as good as SC.

Putters are intensely personal, as SamT mentions, try out a few before deciding.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 3:40 pm

I used to have the Odyssey Black #2 (sold it off). I think it's a great putter. Feels great (weight-wise). But, like all putters, they are very personal. So what suits me may not suit you.
Back to top Go down
mox
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mox

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 3:54 pm

I have tried the black series with the blade style (aka Anser style?) with the half shaft offset and i really like the weight and stability of it. the head has a nice sheen too.

and for what it's worth, as a nice touch, this putter comes with a headcover that has a magnetic open-close slot instead of velcro so one can take out or put back the putter even when others are putting without distracting them.

but as everyone else has said, you really need to try out these putters to find one that you are really comfortable with.
Back to top Go down
mr joe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks for the advices!!

I've been practising my driver and irons most of the time and actually neglected 1 of the most impt part of golf which is putting ... It always cost me dearly in my games ... Need to brush up my putting ...Now that I've sold all my putters ... I need to buy another one ...lol

Personally, I like SC Hollywood for the looks ... And odyssey for the price ...
Back to top Go down
mr joe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Can any bros advise what are the differences between Monterrey and Hollywood ??

I'm going to get a SC ... Tried both at GD ... But feels similar to me cos I'm quite suck at putting ...

Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Maybe should also consider buying a putting mat... Smile

Or visit BFG! They should be able to help...
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Very well made putter, if im not mistaken it used to go for $500+ dollars!!
Back to top Go down
mr joe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Hmm... I have a putting mat at home ... Was using odyssey white hot #8 and ping anser previously... But dun really like the feel ...

I think Scotties are going for four hundred plus now ... Any idea where is the cheapest to get em ??
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 12:18 am

wanted to buy the black series too... feels very soft on contact and the feel is good. But yet again, its personal. You might even wanna try out Zen ones at BFG. Im Zen-ded as of now, but from a balanced perspective, the putter which you choose shd be the one which makes you have the confidence to make that putt to the hole when you step up to the ball. Go feel for it!
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 12:30 am

well, i've tried a lot of putter and i have to say that the 2 that i play with the most now are my odyssey black series no.7 with the insert version and a scotty cameron kombi belly putter...

both are good in their own little ways and both have their limitations as well (to me of course)

however, the one thing that i would not buy is a scotty california series as my putter's honey gold started to fade after a few rounds...
Back to top Go down
mr joe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks Sham for pointing out the fading part ... Didn't know about this...

Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 9:28 am

no problem, titleist will offer you a swap of some sort apparently if it does fade badly enough... but honestly, why go through all that trouble. personally i find the studio select series to be the most functional.
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 1:05 pm

shamusan wrote:
no problem, titleist will offer you a swap of some sort apparently if it does fade badly enough... but honestly, why go through all that trouble. personally i find the studio select series to be the most functional.

yup. agreed. my first california putter also faded and ended up having 2 tones of gold colour over the putter face. quite irritating to look at. ended up changing to the studio select series shortly.

good luck with your putter hunt!
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 1:22 pm

mr joe wrote:
Hi guys,

Anyone owns a odyssey black series putter? Is that putter gd? It's going at $239 and I heard that it's the higher range of odyssey putter and the quality is comparable to Scotty ...is it true ??

Hello Mr. Joe,

with due respect ....

I think the Best moved you can do when buying a putter is how the putter feels when it is in your hand.

Of course, Odyssey is a well known brand. But I think and feel that the best moved is to test th putter on the putting green. Feel the "putter"

Does it give you confidence? and ease?
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
mr joe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 9:44 pm

I think I will narrow down my choice to Scotty & piretti ...

Is there any way to counter the fading of Cali ??
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 9:52 pm

I'm using a Scotty Cali, as long as you replace the cover after every hole and wipe it down and then you wife it with baby oil moment you going for a long break away from the putter, I dun see why should be too concerned..

Either way, the fade finiishing adds a bit of character to the putter... why not... Smile
Back to top Go down
mr joe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 10:37 pm

Ok ... I think I'll go for the hollywood ...

Read from the web that there's a way to strip the gold paint using some napal jelly or something ... Maybe if the fading turns out bad I will use it ..
Back to top Go down
mr joe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 9:38 am

Hi guys,

Any thing to look out for when buying a SC putter? Other than selecting the length of the shaft?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 9:46 am

lie angle.

assume your normal putting stance, make sure the toe doesnt hover/raise up. putter shud stay flat on the ground. If you have to stand closer to the ball (than usual) in order for putter to stay flat, it means the lie angle is too upright.

I know jeff can bend lie angle at golfhouse. dun know if FESC give this service
Back to top Go down
mox
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mox

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 9:52 am

i would just like to add that i have used my cali coronado for about 5 rounds now and there is no fading at all, yet.

i love the look of the honey gold colour when i am addressing the ball.... it gives me confidence haha...

anyway, i remember reading that the quick fading of the honey colour on the californias occured in certain batches and mainly the earlier ones. but, i can't verify if this is true.
Back to top Go down
mr joe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks bro pushslice for the great info ! The lie angle is standard for all SC putter or is there a selection of diff lie angle off the rack? Planning to get it from GD..

bro Mox, I love the gold color too!! I think I'll just buy the Cali ... And hope it fades nicely if it really does ..
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 11:17 am

they all come standard (US standards) maybe 71 degree, if im not mistaken

I am almost 1.8m with golf shoes and I find SC Newport 34 inch too upright for my putting stance. Toe was pointing up, so I asked Jeff to bend my old SC to 69.5 (now sold).

You can keep the std lie, but since you will be standing closer to ball, the shaft would have to be shorter e.g. 33 inch. Also depending on your height/putting stance
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 11:41 am

pushslice wrote:
they all come standard (US standards) maybe 71 degree, if im not mistaken

I am almost 1.8m with golf shoes and I find SC Newport 34 inch too upright for my putting stance. Toe was pointing up, so I asked Jeff to bend my old SC to 69.5 (now sold).

You can keep the std lie, but since you will be standing closer to ball, the shaft would have to be shorter e.g. 33 inch. Also depending on your height/putting stance

How is the Birdie Lanti bro???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Putter to buy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter to buy   Putter to buy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putter to buy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next