Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to schedule my golf training to lower score???

Go down 
+12
zhenxua
Derek
Duval_S
Lee36328
Kookk
blee67
slinger
pushslice
dmateo
Bangla123
TheFocalPoint
efoong
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi efoong,

I am definitely not a Golf Pro but I would just like to share my own experiences on how I managed to lower my average scores from 100+ to below 100.

First off, you have to determine what your short term to intermediate term goal is. Is it to score better? Or to hit the ball more cleanly? Or to drive the ball further ... etc

If your goal is to score better, then what the others have mentioned is completely right. You have to analyse which part of your game is costing you the most strokes and deal with it accordingly. As you improve on the most problematic area, you will then shift your attention to the next area giving you problems. In manufacturing terms, this is sometimes known as Theory of Constraints (i.e. identifying the bottleneck).

As you identify the problem areas, sometime you also need to assess whether there is a immediate solution exists which can work concurrently with the long term solution.

For example, if you analysed your score and realised that you have 5-6 OB drives or lost balls a round, the solution is simple, eliminate the penalty strokes off the tee. However, developing a reliable and accurate driver swing might take a while. In the meantime, if the overall objective is to lower your score, you might want to consider teeing off with a club that you can strike reliably most of the time. It could be a 3 wood, 5 wood, 3 hybrid, 5 hybrid, maybe even a 5 iron. It goes shorter, but if your direction control is bad, then going shorter gives u less chance of hitting into trouble. In the meantime, continue working on the driver, but at least you have something to use on the course.

For me, what proved to be most effective, in terms of time spent practising vs shot reduction on the course, follows:

1) Putting - Distance Control
2) Putting - Inside 4 feet
3) Simple and Reliable Chip Shot
4) Pitching with Halfswing using 3 wedges (PW, AW, SW)
5) Basic Bunker Technique

Hope this helps and good luck on your journey!

p.s. Do NOT underestimate Slinger's advice on course management and knowing when to play for bogey. it is VERY powerful.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 1:18 pm

I always follow slinger's advice and aim for bogey at every hole, but end up blowing them ...
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 1:43 pm

zhenxua wrote:
I always follow slinger's advice and aim for bogey at every hole, but end up blowing them ...

make sure u are not in my flight lor....
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Don't know how much my input will help as I have yet to break 100 despite playing for 2 yrs but I manage to go consistenly undeer 110 now, but here goes.

Driving
I always try to bomb it and the harder I try the more screwed up it gets. Lose alot of strokes this way. If I have to cross the harzard at the 200yard mark, I actually use my 5 iron or hybrid so I land short of the harzard

2nd Shot
Par 5 - I used to always try for 2 on. Now, I MUST lay up to a comfortable distance. Abything 130 yards and below.
Par 4 - Aim for centre of green and always go for the entrance of the green. Unless have to clear bunker / water. If the pin is middle front & centre, aim short, If the pin is centre back, aim for middle. I know I do not generate enough spin so don't even try.
Par 3. same as Par 4

Short of green
Always chip and run when can. I dont generate enough spin so I do what I can.

Putting.

Always put yourself within 1 putter length of the cup regardless if you are short or long on your first try. Minimise 3 puts.

Also, my bunker shots suck big time. So I always always avoid bunkers.

I am also in the process of reworking my practice sessions. I am working in the reverse order of many which is to start from my wedges. I hardly take out the big stick these days at the range.

Ultimatly is to find and create consistency in my swing so I know what will happen when I setup for my shots (of course with room for error)
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 2:08 pm

holy sh!t winston.....

i lup the last one.......

no wonder the boys planning another raid in Nov.....
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 2:12 pm

eeeerrrrr....Focus...focus......don't OT.... lol!
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 2:48 pm

Focus on which one??? So many to look at....
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 3:07 pm

the avatar girl is still best! So sweet.

Efoong, is your technique right? Are you getting coaching? Practice alone just make permanent or can make you frustrated if you see no progress.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Another one of Winston's signatures .... once again I must fight against the urge to stop work early and go somewhere ...
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Winston wrote:
eeeerrrrr....Focus...focus......don't OT.... lol!

Winston...
Tell me how one earth to focus??????????????? HELP HELP HELP
Back to top Go down
efoong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
efoong

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 4:14 pm

i have coach before but end up i found back my correct swing...
now i have a asian tour player fren...he giving lots of tips to me to play...
but yet i think only practise makes perfect so i wanna have a proper training schedule just like i train for my volleyball...i think no short cut only practise and practise...
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 4:22 pm

i have someone told me before that 'practise dun make perfect, practise make consistent"...

he told me...continue practise will make my swing consistent, but it does not make it perfect, but rather make my mistake or bad habbit harder to remove...i tend to believe what he told me....i do agree we should practise and practise, base on pro's teaching.

i believe your fren should able to help you to make your swing perfect....cheers !!
Back to top Go down
efoong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
efoong

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 4:37 pm

yup..i must put in addition practise in a correct way to make it more consistent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to schedule my golf training to lower score???
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2