Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to schedule my golf training to lower score???

Go down 
+12
zhenxua
Derek
Duval_S
Lee36328
Kookk
blee67
slinger
pushslice
dmateo
Bangla123
TheFocalPoint
efoong
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
efoong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
efoong

How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? Empty
PostSubject: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 9:42 pm

I planned to play more serious golf as really hate to become 100plus ...although able to play 90+ sometimes but is quite inconsistence...

any pro here can recommend me on how to schedule my training...and is it a must to analyse our game and summarize what should improve and plan accordingly to our weakness???

i found go driving range if just whacking the ball is quite wasting of energy and time...

hopefully can achieve my own target with a better training plan...

thanks for anyone who give meaningful comment thanks...
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Your pic look very pro already... Smile
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 10:28 pm

If you really want to get better , you should seriously consider getting a coach. No two ways about it
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 10:29 pm

do you know why you're on 90's and the 100's. And what is your biggest contributor to your stroke count ? that should give some pointer on how to lower your score and things to concentrate on I would think.

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Golf magazine/PGA pro Brady Riggs has a plan for you....

http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction/article/0,28136,2053353,00.html

Happy practicing!
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 10:46 pm

Gee Thanks for that PDF! Ive printed it out, and am gonna start this week! Anyone care to join me?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Tfp, think I have the magazine with that article, got pics, some tips on technique etc. Can give to u.
Back to top Go down
efoong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
efoong

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 11:39 pm

thanks all pro here...haha i will try to master this sport as hard as i could...hopefully can i can be an amateur golfer...
Back to top Go down
efoong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
efoong

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 12:02 am

TheFocalPoint wrote:

Bro, don't mock at me...i not good at all...
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 8:39 am

efoong wrote:
TheFocalPoint wrote:

Bro, don't mock at me...i not good at all...

Actually he is right, you do look very pro. affraid
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:11 am

efoong wrote:
I planned to play more serious golf as really hate to become 100plus ...although able to play 90+ sometimes but is quite inconsistence...

any pro here can recommend me on how to schedule my training...and is it a must to analyse our game and summarize what should improve and plan accordingly to our weakness???

i found go driving range if just whacking the ball is quite wasting of energy and time...

i suggest u keep your score card after every round.....

analyse your score....

why u blow certain holes.....

say in the score box where u write your score.....

upper right hand corner.... tick if u drive well, cross if u din

lower right hand corner...... how many putts u need

left hand corner for other remarks.... like GIR, OB water etc

end of round, look at your score, find how many ticks or cross or whatever that shows why u play that score....

from there u will know what u need to do.... hopefully
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:14 am

Slinger, I know why I blow the holes... When you hit such nice tee shots and approaches to the green together with such fine puttings, I gave up liao.... Sad
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:17 am

slinger wrote:
efoong wrote:

analyse your score....

end of round, look at your score, find how many ticks or cross or whatever that shows why u play that score....

Just find you can already la. No need so troublesome.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:27 am

Kookk wrote:
slinger wrote:
efoong wrote:

analyse your score....

u need to call me for game soon...... before u kenna buaya by seiko n gang
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:34 am

blee2007 wrote:
Slinger, I know why I blow the holes... When you hit such nice tee shots and approaches to the green together with such fine puttings, I gave up liao.... Sad

soli to disappoint u..... i still need to bring wedges n putter to the green

unlike my good fren, coastguy, dun even need to bring putter.... always hole out want

once u play with him, u will know the vast difference in skill between me n him....

btw, wihtout your crutch par putt, we wouldnt have roast meat from bob n kian....
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:36 am

slinger wrote:
Kookk wrote:
slinger wrote:
efoong wrote:

analyse your score....

u need to call me for game soon...... before u kenna buaya by seiko n gang

Ok. Ok. Soon. These few weekends a little busy to play, elbow hurting and my swing also damn messy.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:44 am

Nov lor....

anyway, Oct busy for me too.....

u went to the doc at upper boon keng??
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:53 am

slinger wrote:
Nov lor....

Did not see any doc. Hoping it will recover with one rest.

What will the doc do? Just give some external cream to apply?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:56 am

Kookk wrote:
slinger wrote:
Nov lor....

actually he is chiro-TCM shiseh....

he fix up the pain in my elbow in 2 weeks...
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 11:00 am

Just to share...

efoong wrote:

...and is it a must to analyse our game and summarize what should improve and plan accordingly to our weakness???

You are absolutely right. There's no other way to break 90 and below. We are fighting against statistics, and the more improvements we seek, the higher the odds are stacked against us. So a planned approach is paramount.

Some statistics...

Our score is a calculation of our error rates. Lets define shooting 72 as meaning making zero errors.

If we make 1 bad swing for every 4 swings, we can shoot between 81 to 90, depending on OB rate, assuming no 2-putt.

So, if we practice putting until we eliminate 3-putts and more, then all we need to do to break 90 is to make 3 good swings out of every 4 swings. That doesn't sound too hard, right?

Here's how. (Some simple math follows, skip if necessary.)
========================================
Removing putts out of the equation, 2 putts for 18 holes = 36, therefore 72 - 36 = 36, there are 36 strokes to be made.

Shooting par on a typical course is 18 driver/woods shots and 18 irons shots.

For longer courses, some par 3 may require wood to reach, so it may even be 20 driver/wood and 16 irons shots.

The above gives us an idea of where we should concentrate our practice.

Looking at the strokes, tee shot and approach shot, what are our error rates?

If the error rate is 25%, then we make an error every 4 strokes, then when we swing 36 times, we make 9 errors.

If the none of the errors are OB, then it's 9 over par. We're shooting 81.

If the rate of OB is 50%, then it's 13 or 14 over par. We're shooting 85 or 86.

If the rate of OB is 100%, then it's 18 over par. We're shooting 90.

The critical part is putting. We must be able to make no more than 2 putts. This requires a lot of practice to get the feel.

Another critical element is getting out of greenside bunkers. We must be able to get out close enough for a 2-putt to avoid losing more strokes. You guessed it, lots of time in bunkers to get the confidence, feel and technique.

===========================================

I played a round where despite shooting 7 on a par 3, still carded an 87. Looking back, here's what I did.

After missing the fairway, I just chose to make the safest punch back to the fairway for an easy approach. No heroics in trying to rescue and hit the green from the rough. This required discipline because sometime we just want to be heros.

For putting, just aimed to lag for a gimme, speed having more priority than line.

efoong wrote:

Absolutely right again. Hitting balls without an objective is exercise, not practice.

As shown above, driver/wood are equally important as irons. So I split my focus on irons and woods/drivers equally.

Here's what I focus on.

Short irons and wedges - aim to hit the flag. Also check for distance.

Mid irons - aim to hit very near the flag, no more than 1-2 flag length's dispersion.

Long irons - aim to hit within the vicinity of the flag, for a 2-putt distance, say 3-4 flag lengths dispersion.

Drivers and woods - I pick two fence posts at the end of the fairway and hit between them. That's my fairway width.

The goal is just 3 good shots for every 4.

Also, I remind myself to cycle among the clubs instead of hitting the same club continuously. Otherwise I will fool myself thinking I mastered the club after hitting it lots of times. On the course obviously we only get 1 chance per shot.

To sum up.

Short game practice
1. putting - 2-putt from anywhere within 20-feet (about 7 steps)
2. chipping - get it close, within 5 feet, from any kind of lie around the green
3. pitching - get it to within 20-feet from 30 meters or less
4. bunker - get it out to within 20-feet

Irons and wood/drivers - equal focus, target oriented. 3 good swings for every 4 swings.

Just sharing. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 11:26 am

slinger wrote:
Kookk wrote:
slinger wrote:
Nov lor....

actually he is chiro-TCM shiseh....

he fix up the pain in my elbow in 2 weeks...

I've actually never been to a TCM before. Hee... Hee...

If my elbow still hurts after some rest, i probably need to see one.
Back to top Go down
efoong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
efoong

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 11:54 am

Lee36328 wrote:
Just to share...

efoong wrote:

...and is it a must to analyse our game and summarize what should improve and plan accordingly to our weakness???

You are absolutely right. There's no other way to break 90 and below. We are fighting against statistics, and the more improvements we seek, the higher the odds are stacked against us. So a planned approach is paramount.

Some statistics...

Our score is a calculation of our error rates. Lets define shooting 72 as meaning making zero errors.

If we make 1 bad swing for every 4 swings, we can shoot between 81 to 90, depending on OB rate, assuming no 2-putt.

So, if we practice putting until we eliminate 3-putts and more, then all we need to do to break 90 is to make 3 good swings out of every 4 swings. That doesn't sound too hard, right?

Removing putts out of the equation, 2 putts for 18 holes = 36, therefore 72 - 36 = 36, there are 36 strokes to be made.

For longer courses, some par 3 may require wood to reach, so it may even be 20 driver/wood and 16 irons shots.

If the error rate is 25%, then we make an error every 4 strokes, then when we swing 36 times, we make 9 errors.

The critical part is putting. We must be able to make no more than 2 putts. This requires a lot of practice to get the feel.

Another critical element is getting out of greenside bunkers. We must be able to get out close enough for a 2-putt to avoid losing more strokes. You guessed it, lots of time in bunkers to get the confidence, feel and technique.

I played a round where despite shooting 7 on a par 3, still carded an 87. Looking back, here's what I did.

After missing the fairway, I just chose to make the safest punch back to the fairway for an easy approach. No heroics in trying to rescue and hit the green from the rough. This required discipline because sometime we just want to be heros.

For putting, just aimed to lag for a gimme, speed having more priority than line.

efoong wrote:

Absolutely right again. Hitting balls without an objective is exercise, not practice.

As shown above, driver/wood are equally important as irons. So I split my focus on irons and woods/drivers equally.

Here's what I focus on.

Mid irons - aim to hit very near the flag, no more than 1-2 flag length's dispersion.

Long irons - aim to hit within the vicinity of the flag, for a 2-putt distance, say 3-4 flag lengths dispersion.

Drivers and woods - I pick two fence posts at the end of the fairway and hit between them. That's my fairway width.

Also, I remind myself to cycle among the clubs instead of hitting the same club continuously. Otherwise I will fool myself thinking I mastered the club after hitting it lots of times. On the course obviously we only get 1 chance per shot.

To sum up.

Short game practice
2. chipping - get it close, within 5 feet, from any kind of lie around the green

Irons and wood/drivers - equal focus, target oriented. 3 good swings for every 4 swings.

Just sharing. Cheers.

thanks for the idea of training...will get the idea once i started...
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 12:05 pm

if u realise that u bogey every hole.... u are only 18 over

why not u try for bogey instead of trying for par....

when u go for bogey, your course management will be every different....

u will avoid most bunkers, fairway n greenside...

say 340m Par 4 with bunker at 200-210m...

why not u hit a 5i or hybrid to 160-180m, the fattest part of the fairway....

follow by a 8i before the greenside bunkers, again lots of fairway to land....

then chip from 20-30m out to the green n go for 2 putt....

since u are oreadi on the course, enjoy the experience rather be frustrated by it....

finding your golf ball on the fairway is way better than looking for it in the woods...

built your confidence, groove your swing, better scores will follow....
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 12:07 pm

efoong wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
Just to share...

efoong wrote:

Some statistics...

efoong wrote:

Here's what I focus on.

To sum up.

Short game practice

Just sharing. Cheers.

thanks for the idea of training...will get the idea once i started...

You're very welcome bro.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 1:01 pm

Here is mine...which I believe is one of the weirdest around (I think):

#1 If I do go range.

#2 If I do ..do #1, I only bring my #7 wedge and below....but restricted to max...3 wedges only.

#3 If I do do #1 and #2...I practise getting the distance which 70% or greater which is my comfort distance.

#4 If I do do #1, #2, #3.....I practise the right direction....and distance

As to why I don practise driver.....coz my drive is so short, most likely it will still be on fairway coz the course designer will not have tot someone can be that short.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to schedule my golf training to lower score???   How to schedule my golf training to lower score??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to schedule my golf training to lower score???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next