Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is the Tiger era over?

Go down 
+24
Joshua
Turbo
TDO
Tituman
hwdq
Winston
asahi
blee67
waadee
Khorkar
dmateo
Cyp_PGA
HyBriD
kennethsiah
wilkang
Bangla123
abadan
Derek
shamusan
Duval_S
Technospaz
pushslice
mengteck71
simoner
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

Is the Tiger era over? Empty
PostSubject: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 7:03 am

That's what Luke Donald seems to think....

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/donald-says-tigers-domination-over-new-era-is-upon-us/

Somehow, I feel Tiger will be back. The question is when.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:12 am

Luke Donald is World No 1 now. He can say anything he wished.. I like his golf swing.. very rythmic and balanced...
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:58 am

The key word here is dominance. You dont have an "era" unless you dominate the sport in that period.

I believe Tiger will win tournaments again, but to dominate like he used to, winning 5-7 tournaments a year, 2 majors a year, is probably thing of the past. This is bcoz the field has gotten stronger and less scared of him.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:02 am

I've stated before... the era of Tiger is over.

Yes, he may win a title or two in the future, but age is now against him especially with so many talented young and just as impressive players as he was some 10 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:09 am

which is why he shouldnt have set the std so high.....hahahah

anyways, if era is defined as repeating what he had done...then no

if era is defined as triumphing over his opponents be it wins per person or number of majors across a certain timeframe .... then YES, I think his era is still there.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:45 am

Oh... I do agree... if there's one thing which I doubt will happen anytime soon, it's the fact that one man can dominate the sport so aggressively. I think it'll be hard to replicate that (not impossible, just hard).

I recall talking to many folks that as long as Tiger is in the mix and within the top 5 at Round 3, there's a pretty good chance that he'll take the trophy. And, if he's leading after Round 3, don't bother watching cause we know how it ends.

I don't get that with the current breed of golfers. Good as they are, I don't think they dominate the field like Tiger did. While that may not be what some like, I think it's great as it keeps the game very interesting. Nothing is as predictable as it used to be... and that keeps viewers glued to the screens Smile
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:50 am

i dont care what anyone says,

tiger will be back (i do certainly hope so... golf is really boring to watch without him)

and none of the young guns are able to come remotely close to him...

sorry, i'm a real fan of tiger (especially his off the course life)
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:50 am

As usual with the press, Luke Donald's comments were hyped up and taken out of context.

I personally hope that Tiger becomes competitive again. It would be sad to see him just fade away after such a great career at such a young age.

There is still time. He is in his mid30s.

Steve Stricker started winning more in his 40s, look at Jimenez as well.

Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 10:45 am

I agree with most bros here.. i'm also a tiger fan. and yes.. he was one exciting player to watch. but just really erratic. to play like he used to and win tournament after tournament and yr after yr with all these new young guns popping out from everywhere, tiger's got a tough job ahead of him.. the thing that he has to first overcome is his mind. and he said so himself at the players championship.

Pro athletes are like that. look at federer. once nadal beat him.. and he lost the no.1 spot.. that's it.. see him struggle. but tiger's an acceptional athlete. so i wouldn't be surprised if he manages to bounce back. i hope it happens soon. Smile
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 10:56 am

Quote :
Technospaz wrote:
Oh... I do agree... if there's one thing which I doubt will happen anytime soon, it's the fact that one man can dominate the sport so aggressively. I think it'll be hard to replicate that (not impossible, just hard).

I recall talking to many folks that as long as Tiger is in the mix and within the top 5 at Round 3, there's a pretty good chance that he'll take the trophy. And, if he's leading after Round 3, don't bother watching cause we know how it ends.

I don't get that with the current breed of golfers. Good as they are, I don't think they dominate the field like Tiger did. While that may not be what some like, I think it's great as it keeps the game very interesting. Nothing is as predictable as it used to be... and that keeps viewers glued to the screens Smile

well...something stays predictable and the same.......watch me play.....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:09 am

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
Technospaz wrote:

well...something stays predictable and the same.......watch me play.....

Yeah, that's true... everytime I lose money to you.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:57 pm

I think tigers are friendly creatures, just don't try to pat them
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Bangla123 wrote:

You just made my day...and weekends too. Is the Tiger era over? 293543
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 pm

wilkang wrote:
Bangla123 wrote:

You just made my day...and weekends too. Is the Tiger era over? 293543

Give the man a Tiger!!!! lol!

Honestly, I think its a matter of time before Tiger pounces back but...
he won't be a domineering as before as some of his aura is gone.....
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Personally my all time favourite golfer is Celine Dion
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Bangla123 wrote:
Personally my all time favourite golfer is Celine Dion

Ok... now you're moving into uncharted territory.
Back to top Go down
kennethsiah
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:34 pm

Well imoh that his dominance in the golf arena several years ago implied an era, I doubt that it would be back to those days again (as much as I wish it would) the field is full of young talented players groomed n poised to compete n win abeit with irregularity.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 2:35 pm

I hope TW will be back....

He brings excitement & $$$$$ to the game
and people watch him.

I hope he can recoup and overhaul his Mental side.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 4:55 pm

His dominance i don't think so because young talent can do the same thing as he does with the ball like shaping the ball . before nobody could master as well as him. however i think he can still win Major and tournament if he fix his 15 club which is his brain. I think the guy who has most chance of stopping Tiger to win it will rory mcilroy because it has the same impact on the crowded and dominance on the course . there is a few comparaison on them you can check

but the best all time player in the world think he can do it : Jack Nicklaus
this is the article that Jack talk about tiger -
http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2093511,00.html

Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 5:00 pm

i think it goes without saying that an injury of any sort in golf can destroy your game instantly and it's difficult to get back to where you used to be?
another point is changing swing is difficult and often result in degredation on performance.

truely a difficult game to master. I used to think Golf should not even be considered as a sport (my childhood definition of sport is you sweat and requires lots of strength), How absolutely wrong I am.

This is a hard game (harder than billiard by miles), taxing on concentration and mental strenght and you need great technique and decent flexibility + strenght. Aside from that you also need to be able to read green, shape shot etc.

I think the go on learning forever is realy spot on... Smile
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 5:40 pm

I sure hope TW comes back and prove all his critics wrong. I think he still have what its takes. Probably need a little bit of luck..
Back to top Go down
waadee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 9:50 pm

i tink tigers domination is over... was watching golf channel.. the future is now....
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 10:57 pm

it ain't over till the fat lady sings!

TW will be back!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 10:18 am

It's reported that Tiger just posted a practice round of 62, breaking the course record at Medallist golf course, Florida. It maybe just a practice round, but to me that is a sign of good form and good health.

Let's see if he can win on the Fall series. Then maybe the critics who didnt like Freddie's choice of Tiger over Bradley/Haas can be placated somehow
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 10:59 am

pushslice wrote:
It's reported that Tiger just posted a practice round of 62, breaking the course record at Medallist golf course, Florida. It maybe just a practice round, but to me that is a sign of good form and good health.

Let's see if he can win on the Fall series. Then maybe the critics who didnt like Freddie's choice of Tiger over Bradley/Haas can be placated somehow

Yes, and he shot a 59 days before winning the Masters in 1997. So, I think he's getting back on track. But, the field is very different today. There are so many talented players out there and while a 62 indicates that Tiger is ready to prowl, there are many out there who are just as hungry and vicious.

If his practice session was a 62 while others were carding 70s, then I'd get all excited. But we don't know how the others were playing. What I do know is that it'll be fun to watch. I'm eager to see how Tiger performs again but I doubt he'd be back to his usual trophy-grabbing self.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the Tiger era over?   Is the Tiger era over? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the Tiger era over?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next