Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'

Go down 
+13
mox
areef218
pushslice
zhenxua
Derek
dmateo
Newtogolf
rsenal
mickey
Duval_S
jimmychoo
freedrop
Titleist
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Titleist
Titleist Staff
Titleist

Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' Empty
PostSubject: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 11:51 am

With all of the innovation and technology that goes into the production of Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1x golf balls, here's something to keep in mind:

"The Pro V1 is an amazing piece of equipment but it doesn’t know who’s hitting it," says Titleist Golf Ball Fitter Michael Collins. "A golf ball can't tell if the golfer is a high-handicap player or a scratch golfer."

That's not breaking news, but it's important to remember when determining the golf ball that will perform best for your game and help you shoot lower scores.

Check out this post to watch the video and learn more about why the level of player should not be the only factor in deciding which golf ball they use:

http://www.titleist.com.sg/teamtitleist/sea/b/blog/archive/2011/09/01/titleist-performance-golf-ball-fitting-i-m-not-good-enough-to-play-a-pro-v1.aspx

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions on finding the right golf ball for your game either in this thread or on the Team Titleist Discussion Board.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 11:57 am

All golf balls don't know who is hitting them.

But they know which angle is the guy attacking them from. They know whether the guy is cutting, or topping it, or hitting it fat. And they will behave accordingly as they fly away in pain from such crulety.

They have no time to even look back to see who is hitting them. Most likley some marketing managers who talk rubbish. I was one for many years, I know.
Back to top Go down
Titleist
Titleist Staff
Titleist

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks for you comment Freedrop,

This is true, which is why its important to ensure golfers use the correct ball for their game. A golfer with directional issues (caused by left to right or right to left spin) will most likely be better suited to a lower spinning golf ball, as it will tend to stay slightly straighter in the air.

However, a golfer with no directional issues, who is a high handicap will most likely benefit more from a higher spinning golf ball, like the Pro V1, as it will help them more with their short game. All golfers will benefit from reducing the number of shots they play into the green, so this is the area to look at when deciding.

Its thus important for every golfer to think seriously about their golf ball and ensure they are using the correct ball for their game.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 1:54 pm

I am a weekend golfer with a mid~high handicap with a swing speed that probably your grand father can swing faster than me. I use a Pro V1 and I will hear people asking me the below questions,

Top no. 1) Can it give you extra distance off the tee?
My answer: No

2) Can you spin it back on the green?

3) What make you use a Pro V1?
My answer: I like the feel off the putter and the control in chipping around the green.

As a short hitter and lack of talent to play GIR most of the time, I rely a lot on those small chip and putting to save some par. I have always try to avoid Pro V1 because of the price but after testing with most of the ball in the market, I find that Pro V1 is still on the top of my preferred ball list.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 2:29 pm

I will not challenge the theory behind the spins and distance. I am a physicist by training so I understand aerodynamics.

The point is, you need to be skillful enough to really benefit from these ball characteristics.

It's important to know the characteristics of the ball you are playing, and then you play them differently. If you are chipping a ball that spins easily, you need to chip and make allowance for the stopping distance. If you chip a ball that does not spin easily, you need to allow for more rolling distance.

So you can play either type of balls, just need to know how the ball behave and play accordingly.

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Quote :
jimmychoo wrote:
I am a weekend golfer with a mid~high handicap with a swing speed that probably your grand father can swing faster than me. I use a Pro V1 and I will hear people asking me the below questions,

Top no. 1) Can it give you extra distance off the tee?

2) Can you spin it back on the green?

3) What make you use a Pro V1?
My answer: I like the feel off the putter and the control in chipping around the green.

As a short hitter and lack of talent to play GIR most of the time, I rely a lot on those small chip and putting to save some par. I have always try to avoid Pro V1 because of the price but after testing with most of the ball in the market, I find that Pro V1 is still on the top of my preferred ball list.

I agree with bro JC coz I also have the same mind tots. I choose the ball based on the my best feel around the green....

But I play NXT....
Back to top Go down
mickey
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Isn't it more likely than not that a mid - high handicapper will suffer from directional issues? Otherwise why would he/she carry a mid-high handicap?

So it figures that if you're a mid-high handicapper, you most likely wouldn't do yourself very many favours by using a high spinning ball. This would be further compounded if you have a slow swing speed cos you'd lose potential distance.

I think the story could get a little different tho when you've developed into a better player. In this regard I agree with Freedrop. When one is at a level of skill (and feel) to be able to appreciate and take advantage of, the differences between a higher or lower spinning ball then one could start to consider what type of ball to play. Some players use two types; a higher spinning one for firm and fast greens and a lower spinning one, for soft and slow greens.

But then again, you could be of low handicap ability but if you feel you're just a weekend warrior and play the game simply for the fun of it and the love of company and fresh air, then go right ahead and just use any ball, new or used, low or high spinning.

The whole point I'm advocating is, let's keep it simple for the average hack. The enjoyment of golf is not a science or an art for those who don't need it to be or want it to be. You just need to bring along 3 friends and smell the roses along the way.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Mickey, are you telling me that I shall be using any ball beside Pro V1 because I am a weekend mid~high Handicap?
Higher spin ball cause a slow swinger shorter distance? Hmmmm.... Suspect I always thou that higher spin ball help in the carry..... Embarassed
Isn't it simple enough to use a ball that you trust and like? I find it quite complicated to decide what kind of ball to use for different green.
I think I will be smelling shit if I carry ball that feel like rock Razz
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Give a beginner a Pro V1. His handicap will drop quickly in that round when he tees up the Pro V1.

That's what I think the article is trying to say, since Pro V1 doesn't recognise who is hitting it, low or high handicapper.

Make sense?

Back to top Go down
rsenal
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
rsenal

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 10:02 pm

The biggest factor is $$$...

I use ProVs so that I'll play proper and not waste $$$ for some hack to pick up when I lose them.

At what $75? a dozen (whats the $$ in Singapore?), I'll make sure my set ups / swing are grooved to ensure I don't spray them all over the course.
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 10:27 pm

I'm not sure, at close to 2000THB for a box of Pro-V1/Pro-V1x, I'll be telling myself, "Don't hit it in the water, don't hit it in the trees, tell my caddy to look out for my ball when I drive it off the tee."

Maybe I will lose less than 7 balls for each round of 18 holes.

Yup, I lose about 2 balls on the average for 9 holes and 8 balls on the average for 18 holes. So paying like 2000THB a pop, I'll stress myself to perform much better than I'd normally do.

But that's me. Understand the need for a good golf ball and haven't tried the Pro-V1/Pro-V1x yet due to its prohibitive price, but well, if prices were to tumble during promotions.... Hmm~ Why not?
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 12:00 am

man. what do you hit in the range ? Probably the lousiest ball in the market. Is there a difference yes there is, Branded ball will feel softer, maybe more forgiving and more distance and give the extra feel good sensation.

But the question is what are you trying to achieve? There are probably two school of thought (could be more). One is to get a quick fix and get instant score improvement. Then by all means go with the best kits, super duper game improvement clubs and ball and maybe you'll drop a few stroke. Objective achieved.

If you would like to drop the score significantly then, you will need to look at the root cause of the problem. It could be swing, posture grip whatever and fix that. This way you will get leaps and bounds improvement on your game and score, and it doesnt matter what ball or club you use if you do it correctly.

I'm not saying they dont' help. I'm saying they do help, but they are limited by the root cause of your problem. Until you fix that, your improvement is limited to the technology advantage that you can get your hands on.

Personal opinion only and not meant to be a single source of truth or whatsoever, so just read and filter it to taste Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 8:21 am

Perhaps, like in most things in life and in golf, try out ProV1s for yourself and see if you like using them ...
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 8:30 am

for bro jimmychoo, 1 ball can last him 5 games, which is cheaper per game than some of us who use more affordable balls

after trying many ball types, the soft putting feel of pro v1 still no horse run
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 8:33 am

playing a high spin ball like pro v1 has helped my short game. I now know that the ball will not go too far away from its landing spot. Maybe two short hops at most. It gives me confidence when I approach the green as I really dont have to worry about unwanted roll.

now, when I start losing only one ball a round then maybe I will use brand new balls. For now, refinished prov1s will do. This has nothing to do with ProV1s performance, it's about (my lack of) wallet depth Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 9:23 am

zhenxua wrote:
for bro jimmychoo, 1 ball can last him 5 games, which is cheaper per game than some of us who use more affordable balls
after trying many ball types, the soft putting feel of pro v1 still no horse run

Bro ZX, I like to calculate value of ball based on hits/ball. I average about 1.5 balls per game, not as what you have mentioned lah. If I based on $6.50 per Pro V1 ball, it's about 10 cents per hit. Now do you know what's my average score? Wink
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 9:34 am

Wah Bro JC...1.5 ball per game. I don think I am playing right or aggressive enough...my current ball is into my 3rd game liao.....still no cuts ....

I think i am now hitting it correctly
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 9:39 am

3 games with one ball? Never go water/forrest? Chairman is solid la. You can really play snakes hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 9:49 am

Quote :
pushslice wrote:
3 games with one ball? Never go water/forrest? Chairman is solid la. You can really play snakes hahahaha

All thnaks to idol #1 (Slinger) for the accidental coaching.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 9:57 am

Duval_S wrote:
Wah Bro JC...1.5 ball per game. I don think I am playing right or aggressive enough...my current ball is into my 3rd game liao.....still no cuts ....
I think i am now hitting it correctly
All thnaks to idol #1 (Slinger) for the accidental coaching.
My games are suck recently. Normal iron shot are duffs and tops pale
Forgot to add this in, Pro V1 are quite durable in my view. Or maybe my old man swing speed will not cause major cuts to the balls? Razz
The 1.5 balls average is also thanks to Slinger for telling me to change ball after birdie Very Happy
Back to top Go down
areef218
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 10:39 am

Why change ball after a birdie?
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 11:23 am

areef218 wrote:
Why change ball after a birdie?
study Suspect Rolling Eyes
I also don't know Laughing
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 1:58 pm

maybe it's the luck quota of the ball. Once it's birdie its empty and then need to change to new ball to replenish the quota j/k Smile
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 2:41 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
zhenxua wrote:

Bro ZX, I like to calculate value of ball based on hits/ball. I average about 1.5 balls per game, not as what you have mentioned lah. If I based on $6.50 per Pro V1 ball, it's about 10 cents per hit. Now do you know what's my average score? Wink

bro, where you bought your balls? based on your numbers, each pro v1 only cost $5
Back to top Go down
mickey
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 4:07 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
Mickey, are you telling me that I shall be using any ball beside Pro V1 because I am a weekend mid~high Handicap?
Higher spin ball cause a slow swinger shorter distance? Hmmmm.... Suspect I always thou that higher spin ball help in the carry..... Embarassed
Isn't it simple enough to use a ball that you trust and like? I find it quite complicated to decide what kind of ball to use for different green.
I think I will be smelling shit if I carry ball that feel like rock Razz

All i'm saying is that if you'rer a highish handicapper with major directional issues then you probably need to fix the swing more than you need an expensive high-spinning ball cos the latter ain't going to make your directional issues go away.

But if you like the feel of a more expensive high-spin ball and think these give you more confidence or enjoyment - even if misplaced - then go right ahead if cost is not a concern. In fact, you should probably stick to any brand of ball that gives you more confidence around the course, whether its cos of perceived distance, feel or trajectory advantages or simply just cos you like the way its name sounds.

I posted what I did because I feel that sometimes as consumers we need to remind each other not to get so caught up in the technical bits that we forget that it doesn't need to be as complicated as it sounds or looks.

A more technical pov is that if you're a slow swinger with an already too-high launch angle, then yes, the high-spinning ball will likely not be that great for you. Even if you could do with a higher launch angle, the more expensive high-spin ball may not offer you that much advantage over a lower spin ball cos your slower swing speed may not enable you to eke out the best from it as to make a measurable difference.

Trust that helps.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'   Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1' I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Titleist Performance Golf Ball Fitting Myth's: 'I'm Not Good Enough to Play a Pro V1'
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next