Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changing iron shafts and seeking advice

Go down 
+3
golf_snowman
Lee36328
TourSwing
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

Changing iron shafts and seeking advice Empty
PostSubject: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 12:39 pm

Hey guys, am upgrading my iron shafts to a much stiffer flex ... and wondering about the modus operandi, i.e.

- Should I change the shaft for only one iron first? If so, which one should it be? 6I? 7I?
- Should I change a couple of them, e.g. a short iron and a long iron,

etc etc

I have been fitted to the new shaft, but don't want to change everything in one go ... so that I leave myself the option of last minute tweaks, e.g. soft step etc
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 12:46 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Hey guys, am upgrading my iron shafts to a much stiffer flex ... and wondering about the modus operandi, i.e.

- Should I change the shaft for only one iron first? If so, which one should it be? 6I? 7I?
- Should I change a couple of them, e.g. a short iron and a long iron,

etc etc

I have been fitted to the new shaft, but don't want to change everything in one go ... so that I leave myself the option of last minute tweaks, e.g. soft step etc

I'd put it into the iron I like best in both feel and consistency, and see how I like it.

If you've been fitted with the new shaft, I reckon the fitting process would have also indicated whether or not soft-stepping is required
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Ya , have confidence in the fitting process, but just want to play it safe Very Happy Don't know how the ball flight will be when the new shafts are fitted into my own irons!!!
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 1:26 pm

if your iron shaft is a tapered tip, i would think it's quite tough to just change 1 shaft because the shaft usually come in 1 set.

if it is parallel tip, maybe that could work out and you can try on your most confident club, the club that you know about ball flight, distance carry...

then from there, you can decide whether you wanna go ahead to change off the whole set of iron.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 1:29 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Ya , have confidence in the fitting process, but just want to play it safe Very Happy Don't know how the ball flight will be when the new shafts are fitted into my own irons!!!

Well, what was the objective you are seeking by changing the shaft?

Did you want higher/lower launch angle, higher/lower spin, or higher/lower landing angle?

Hitting the new shaft w Trackman will tell you pretty much all you need to know, except for wind, and how it will rollout on the fairway/green.

Enjoy your new shafts. Cool
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 1:31 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
if your iron shaft is a tapered tip, i would think it's quite tough to just change 1 shaft because the shaft usually come in 1 set.

if it is parallel tip, maybe that could work out and you can try on your most confident club, the club that you know about ball flight, distance carry...

then from there, you can decide whether you wanna go ahead to change off the whole set of iron.

golf_snowman's got a good point.

I forgot one more thing - since you are 32, and I take it you practice/play quite often, I wouldn't bother soft-stepping because I think you will grow into them pretty fast if not already.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks for your feedback guys ...

They are parallel tip, which is why I can keep my options open cheers

Migrating from Nippon Uniflex (between R and Stiff flex, dont ask y, never got fitted back then) to X100s ... as you can imagine thats a massive jump in flexes , and am therefore extraordinarily cautious!!!

Needless to say , I need lower launch and spin ... pro X launched a bit too high for my liking (albeit with low spin) and I finally decided on DG

Will hit balls against trackman, and on the course, before I seal the deal with X100 or X100softSteppedOnce ... the shafts are with me, and I cant wait to put them in action!!!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 2:14 pm

oh , and in case you're wondering why I'm so confused, I'm pretty sure I can handle X100s .. but have lately been working on 3/4 swing effortless shots which have considerably improved my GIR %!

So i'm wondering if my easy tempo swings may be too weak for the x100s! just a thought! And with a better fit shaft, maybe I dont need to take that many easy swings anymore! ... so many factors ... !
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 3:05 pm

TourSwing wrote:

Migrating from Nippon Uniflex (between R and Stiff flex, dont ask y, never got fitted back then) to X100s ... as you can imagine thats a massive jump in flexes , and am therefore extraordinarily cautious!!!

Needless to say , I need lower launch and spin ... pro X launched a bit too high for my liking (albeit with low spin) and I finally decided on DG

When I changed from NSpro950 S to DG S300 (with 2 hard steps), I gained 2 club lengths immediately! Ceteris Paribus!

At the course, my spin came down significantly. My 5 iron shot became penetrating right into the apex before dropping. The PW became a pinseeker. No more ballooning and finding the ball behind the pitch mark on the fairways. Most of all, accuracy and dispersion improved. Iron shots also held their line much better and is less influenced by wind.

Looking at your shaft preferences for your driver,3w and hybrid, you should not have any problems with X100. I have tried R300, S300, S400 and X100, and with different combinations of hard and softsteps. You will be surprised X100 actually plays ok, and not as stiff as what its reputation makes it out to be.

I found hard-stepping to be a better control for flex change instead of from S300 to X100. Also, I found tapered tips much much more consistent in flex, feel and control as compared to parellel tips.

Enjoy your X100s and let us know how much distance you gained! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 6:07 pm

Great post, and has my mouth watering!!!

Have changed my 7i and 9i shafts, but didnt have time to wait for the grips to dry out , so no trackman Crying or Very sad

Am going out on the course tomorrow morning, and will update in the evening!
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 6:29 pm

I was observe that my ball launch are too high after I switch to VR Pro blade with NSPro regular...

dunno should i consider other shaft ?
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 6:39 pm

Dun worry too much. Just close ur eyes, chg all n then whack e hell outta it
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 7:28 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
I was observe that my ball launch are too high after I switch to VR Pro blade with NSPro regular...

dunno should i consider other shaft ?

Have heard similar complaints from ns pro users. No harm in trying out different shafts ... If something works better, thats great! If not, work on your swing knowing that it is the root cause of the problem!!! Saying this from my own experience from a couple of months back
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Wow!!! Why didnt i make the change earlier!?!?

Impact: a different feel altogether ... cant explain in words , but one of the best feelings ever! I dont know if its the stronger flex, or the incremental weight, but it felt like the ball was being compresed a lot more. First approach shot today, 145m 9I, to 6ft! And the rest is history ...

Ball flight: versatile ball flight , can still hit it high, and controlled knock-downs as well!

Distance: pretty much the same as earlier , but not being bullied around by the wind!

Dispersion: clear WINNER! No comparison to earlier ... pin-seeking missile cheers

The shaft is clearly heavier by a fair bit, but didnt seem to be a problem for me

Got my remaining shafts changed today, and will take them to the to the range in a couple of days... Super excited!!!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 3:50 am

TourSwing wrote:
Wow!!! Why didnt i make the change earlier!?!?

Impact: a different feel altogether ... cant explain in words , but one of the best feelings ever! I dont know if its the stronger flex, or the incremental weight, but it felt like the ball was being compresed a lot more. First approach shot today, 145m 9I, to 6ft! And the rest is history ...

Ball flight: versatile ball flight , can still hit it high, and controlled knock-downs as well!

Distance: pretty much the same as earlier , but not being bullied around by the wind!

Dispersion: clear WINNER! No comparison to earlier ... pin-seeking missile cheers

The shaft is clearly heavier by a fair bit, but didnt seem to be a problem for me

Got my remaining shafts changed today, and will take them to the to the range in a couple of days... Super excited!!!

Very cool to hear it worked out so well.

As time progresses, I tend to underestimate my own swing, yet hesitate to go stiffer on the shafts for fear of overdoing it - human nature I suppose. Once I make the jump, the result is always better than expected.

Enjoy your new pin-seeking shafts. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 10:28 am

its pretty funny...

TS came in and ask to reshaft his irons....we discussed options for a while and i watched TS hit a few shots just to get an idea of how we may want to vary those parallel tip X100. i love working with parallel tips as they are more versatile in configurating the flex that we want to achieve after taking into account the head weight.

spined, tip cut and installed. added a bit more weight to achieve a D2 SW which is good of a swing like TS. then he told me that he will be back next week. i told him that he will fly back after his game.

friday just at the stroke of 2 pm. TS appear at our door like he have just finished a marathon but the rest of the clubs in hand. we can only guess that he turns out well which is not unexpected. i was told dispersion is pretty tight.

oh by the way the rest of the pin seekers are ready for collection.

final configuration - 4 to 6 - D1.5, 7 to 8 - D2, 9 to P - D3. softstepped 2.

DGman

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 10:59 am

Bro, so when are u going to start issuing and taking challenges in the league? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 2:53 pm

pushslice wrote:
Bro, so when are u going to start issuing and taking challenges in the league? Very Happy

When i have a zen putter in the bag Laughing

Been undergoing a serious swing change past couple of months and dont think itll hold up in a pressure game , seeing tiger play the way he is isnt helping Very Happy

September will me my month of challenges for sure!!!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 2:57 pm

DGman wrote:

then he told me that he will be back next week. i told him that he will fly back after his game.

friday just at the stroke of 2 pm. TS appear at our door like he have just finished a marathon but the rest of the clubs in hand.

I couldnt help it !!! My life has changed for the better Very Happy and you already predicted that Beer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing iron shafts and seeking advice   Changing iron shafts and seeking advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing iron shafts and seeking advice
Page 1 of 1