Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hybrid for beginners

Go down 
+7
S70B
saving76ryan
Khorkar
nientsu
Technospaz
nrafee
asdw
11 posters
AuthorMessage
asdw
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
asdw

Hybrid for beginners Empty
PostSubject: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 2:49 am

I just started golf a few months back. Which hybrid club shld I get?
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 8:53 am

Hi asdw,

Do check out project 2nd chance to see if there is anything donated clubs that may suit you. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 9:09 am

asdw, I think clubs are very personal. So, what works for some may not work for others. That said, I do like Cleveland hybrids as I find them easy to use (I'm a high handicapper).

Here's a link to THP's hybrid shootout. Admittedly, it's somewhat outdated but the information may be of use to you as well, especially as you would want to consider some older 2nd hand hybrids which (frankly) do the job just fine Smile

http://thehackersparadise.com/?p=3728
Back to top Go down
asdw
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
asdw

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 10:43 am

nrafee wrote:
Hi asdw,

Do check out project 2nd chance to see if there is anything donated clubs that may suit you. Thanks.

Hi Nrafee,

Thanks for the recommendation! Good to know that we can still help others while enjoying golf. I will check it out soon! Smile

Last edited by asdw on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
asdw
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
asdw

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 10:47 am

Technospaz wrote:
asdw, I think clubs are very personal. So, what works for some may not work for others. That said, I do like Cleveland hybrids as I find them easy to use (I'm a high handicapper).

Here's a link to THP's hybrid shootout. Admittedly, it's somewhat outdated but the information may be of use to you as well, especially as you would want to consider some older 2nd hand hybrids which (frankly) do the job just fine Smile

http://thehackersparadise.com/?p=3728

Thanks spaz! Frankly I've haven considered cleveland at the moment but will definately try it if I have the chance. Thanks for the recommendation as well! Appreciate your replies! Smile)))
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 10:52 am

Hybrids or rescue clubs is meant as the name suggests is meant to make it easier for the user to launch the ball. If u are a beginner, perhaps u might want to use higher lofted hybrids first. Eg 5 or 6 hybrids. Dist is shorter but the success rate of u launching the ball is higher.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 11:21 am

There's a good offer in golfsmith now, if you order 2 mashie, its only usd199.00. Its comes with Miyazaki shafts.... damn good deal.

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/CL5821/Cleveland/Mashie_Hybrid_with_Graphite_Shaft#

Back to top Go down
saving76ryan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
saving76ryan

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 11:24 am

So fairway is easier to use or hybrid? Etc. 5 wood vs 5 hybrid..

Thanks
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 11:29 am

For me, IMHO,'hybrids are easier.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 11:43 am

Sept's Golf Digest (US) has a decent write-up on this topic. Go check it out.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 12:02 pm

saving76ryan wrote:
So fairway is easier to use or hybrid? Etc. 5 wood vs 5 hybrid..

Thanks

Just to add to the "confusion"
5 hybrid (usually bout 25 deg loft) does not equal to 5w (usually bout 18 deg loft)
3 hybrid (usually 20 deg loft) does not equal to 3w (usually 15 deg loft) and so on...

lofts of hybrid clubs are designed to replace the long irons in your bag. In the past, irons are typically sold from 3i to Pw, so many of us mortals will keep the 3 and 4 irons and replace them with 3 and 4 hybrids

to your question if a hybrid or wood is easier to use, the answer is - Depends
i find that 3 wood (typically 15deg) is easier to launch than a 15 deg hybrid

If you guys are beginners starting out, and really wanna enjoy the game there are many mixed hybrid-iron sets which have configuration like this

4hybrid, 5 hybrid, 6-9 irons and pw, sw

that way, you dun have to waste money buy a full set containing long irons only to keep them in your store-room

have fun!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 12:12 pm

also a word of caution. If you already have one of those traditional iron set from 3-pw, do not simply buy a 3 hybrid and a 4 hybrid to replace your 3 or 4 iron

reason being, the lofts may be different

these days, equip manufacturers make the lofts of the irons so strong, that certain hybrids may cause duplicate lofts within your set.

15 deg - typically 3 wood or 1 hybrid
18 deg - typically 5 wood or 2 hybrid --> these days, 18 deg hybrid is usually 3 hybrid
21 deg - typicalli 3i loft in the past / 7 wood (very popular many moons ago), but now, you will find 4 hybrid having this loft. in fact, some 'modern' iron set has 4iron with 21 deg loft

that is why equip manufacturers can boast 'you will hit our irons longer!!!!!'

You don't want to be in a situation where you buy a 3hybrid that is 18 deg, and also have a 5wood in your bag that is also 18 deg

it's all about the loft... know the loft of your clubs
Back to top Go down
DimWit Kid
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DimWit Kid

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 3:46 pm

My dear departed TM 3H is 19* Smile

Anyway I'm super high handicapper (just to ensure that ppl know I'm way worse than TS Very Happy Razz) and I love my Adams as compared to TM. But then, that's just me - a beginner.

Go to SSN on Wednesday evening and try some... usually there are ppl who will bring hybrids. If you lucky you might get some beer as well....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Of late, I've kept my hybrids in the bag. I've resorted to playing what I'm comfortable with. So, if I can't reach the green... that's too bad. I'll just lay up with a club I like, say a 6i and go from there.

Hybrids have made me realize that I have a decent chance of hitting a good shot and therefore, given me the chance to try (vs. a FW). However, I've also realized that I'm better off playing the game I'm comfortable with and getting to the green a little slower than others.

So, a bogey as opposed to a par, but at least I didn't go berserk getting there Smile
Back to top Go down
asdw
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
asdw

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:12 pm

wow that's a whole lot of advises to swallow. hahaha.
I understand that hybrid clubs are usually longer than long irons. so if you replace them with hybrids, do you play them like an iron or drivers?
cant seem to get my swing right whenever i try switching from iron to hybrids or woods.
super complicated game. Sad
Back to top Go down
asdw
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
asdw

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:15 pm

to add:
i do not have any wood or hybrids, so whenever i need distance, i only rely on my 5 iron which maximum give me another 150-160. (if i manage to smack the sweet spot.) thats the reason why i started this thread. haha.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:29 pm

bro, we're all there before (yes, I recall the only club i dared to use to gain distance was a 5 iron...)... then only hybrids (cos the shaft is shorter than a fw and easier to handle), eventually fw

you will come to a stage (eventually) that you use the same swing from driver to irons
you just vary your ball position vis-a-vis your stance.

some may argue it is indeed a different swing for different clubs. Do whatever works best for you. as long as it is a repeatable swing with predictable outcome. Just see Jim Furyk's less than orthodox swing (Tommy Gainey, Miguel Angel Jimenez... )

get instruction, practice the right way. Just come to the understanding that at the beginner stage, you are still figuring out your swing. Most imptly, must have fun!
Back to top Go down
asdw
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
asdw

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 6:15 pm

hmm... u seriously sound like all the most of the senior golfers i met.
golf is definitely one of the most challenging game i tried so far, but it's also one the most enjoyable game.
I'm glad that I found this forum. Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 9:51 pm

asdw wrote:
wow that's a whole lot of advises to swallow. hahaha.
I understand that hybrid clubs are usually longer than long irons. so if you replace them with hybrids, do you play them like an iron or drivers?
cant seem to get my swing right whenever i try switching from iron to hybrids or woods.
super complicated game. Sad

I play my hybrids like irons, rather than woods.
Back to top Go down
DimWit Kid
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DimWit Kid

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Technospaz wrote:

I play my hybrids like irons, rather than woods.

For me and my swing, this would mean I top, duff, and shank my hybdrids, just like what I always do with long irons.

Hmmm... sounds right

Laughing
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Join us during our weekly range sessions aka Starry Starry Night, you will have opportunity to try a whole range of hybrids from different members that are present there.

Pick your poison.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
asdw
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
asdw

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 12:32 am

Thanks for the invitation eiji!

Actually I saw a few members at MBGC last week. I was just playing a few bays away. U guys look quite intimidating with all the new clubs and stuffs.. Haha..
A lIttle set back playing at the starry starry nite is that all the clubs you practise with becomes green.. And its actually quite tedious getting them cleaned. -_-
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 7:08 pm

There are some hybrids that come in a squarish offering. The SQ Machspeed Hybrid is an example.

You can have a whack at those since its pretty forgiving and has a pretty large sweet spot. In fact I think that's the one long club in my bag I'm pretty confident of hitting due to its pretty forgiving nature.

Now looking at my VR Driver, I'm thinking if it'd be a wiser choice to switch to a Square SQ Machspeed Black~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid for beginners   Hybrid for beginners I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hybrid for beginners
Page 1 of 1