Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Maruman ok for beginners?

Go down 
+7
HyBriD
Frederick
Ssquirrel
enwee
haragolfer
Derek
mabash
11 posters
AuthorMessage
mabash
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Maruman ok for beginners? Empty
PostSubject: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:35 am

I'm looking to purchase a second hand set of irons. My coach initially suggested Callaways (x-20 and x-14) but after trying them, I didn't really like the feel. I was then asked to try maruman conductors and really liked them. Felt like I could consistently hit the ball and my swing was smooth.

I rented the clubs for trial to see how it goes. I understand there isn't really a brand that is for beginners but I know that there are brands/types that are targetted for pros/experienced players.

But I was wondering if the maruman conductors are okay for beginner use? (I don't know any other details of the club, like the year it was made, etc.)

Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 12:52 pm

To a certain extent you have answered your own question. If the clubs feel right and you like them, then those are the clubs for you.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 4:04 pm

I would suggest that there are no such things as beginner clubs, but there are game improvement clubs. As a beginner, who does not yet have a game , what is there to improve? I used blades as a begginner, and not knowing any better, built a swing around it. Ya, it was heavy and unforgiving and the usual blade dynamics. But since then, many sets later. I enjoy the blade look the most. That of course does not make my game any better, just that the feel and look of the set is the one i prefer.

And so, if the maruman conductors make you happy, go with it.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 5:33 pm

I started with Maruman as well. But my old set was not as forgiving as the Big Bertha 04 which was my second set, switch to X-18 because of the soles easier to play in rough. It depend on you. Btw X-14 is not really that easy to hit due to it's more of the old technology type. 20 is very good set, but it's up to u. Personally I don't really like the conductor. You tried shuttler?
Back to top Go down
mabash
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Guys thanks for the advice, I'll give the marumans a couple of practise sessions at the range and see how it feels.

enwee - I haven't tried the shuttle series. I don't know if the shop has it or if it's out of my budget. I am willing to pay up to 500 for a set of 2nd hand irons. I don't remember which one of the callaways I liked but it was a graphite shaft and stiff flex but my coach told me to go for regular. The guy at the shop told me that it doesn't really matter if it's stiff flex because it's graphite, it would make more of a difference if it was iron shaft. Maybe I'll borrow those and give them a try again.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 7:20 pm

mabash wrote:
Guys thanks for the advice, I'll give the marumans a couple of practise sessions at the range and see how it feels.

enwee - I haven't tried the shuttle series. I don't know if the shop has it or if it's out of my budget. I am willing to pay up to 500 for a set of 2nd hand irons. I don't remember which one of the callaways I liked but it was a graphite shaft and stiff flex but my coach told me to go for regular. The guy at the shop told me that it doesn't really matter if it's stiff flex because it's graphite, it would make more of a difference if it was iron shaft. Maybe I'll borrow those and give them a try again.
Actually the old callaway only had one version of graphite which is the US spec. Only 18 onwards had the J-Spec. The guy from the shop of cos tell u that lah because he wanna sell u the S-flex mah. If I remember correctly the RCH 75 shaft is a lot harder to play. Actually $500 for a second hand can get a decent set. Btw NSPRO 950 steel R flex is not difficult to play with.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 8:12 pm

mabash wrote:
The guy at the shop told me that it doesn't really matter if it's stiff flex because it's graphite, it would make more of a difference if it was iron shaft. .
Champion statements like this makes me distrust golf store sales people..

Actually if you are young and just starting out golf, I personally think stiff flex should be ok, as you start getting better and more confident, you'll be swinging harder and faster...

Then again, stiff flex in one set and stiff flex in another set might not be the same.. Good luck, go with what your heart tells you, no point getting something other people advice, but every time you look down at the clubs, you feel you should have gotten something else.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
mabash wrote:
The guy at the shop told me that it doesn't really matter if it's stiff flex because it's graphite, it would make more of a difference if it was iron shaft. .

Actually if you are young and just starting out golf, I personally think stiff flex should be ok, as you start getting better and more confident, you'll be swinging harder and faster...

Then again, stiff flex in one set and stiff flex in another set might not be the same.. Good luck, go with what your heart tells you, no point getting something other people advice, but every time you look down at the clubs, you feel you should have gotten something else.
Actually it's a matter of time he'll change......
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:05 am

Ssquirrel wrote:
mabash wrote:

Completely agree with Squirrel. A statement like that is completely untrue and is misleading. Graphite shafts can range from extremely flexible (those found in junior clubs) to stiffer than steel shafts.

That being said, most of the graphite shafts that come originally with iron sets tend to be on the more flexible side, and some manufacturers S flex can be the same as another manufacturers R flex, so there might be some truth to it ...

It has been discussed in detail before, but in general, if this is the first set you are buying, try not to pay to much for it or be overly concerned about the specifications. The reason being there is a very high chance that you will change equipment as your swing begins to improve.
Back to top Go down
Frederick
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Frederick

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 10:12 am

Good clubs...good choice. I believe in buying what u feel right. When we first got our driving license, we dun start off with 1liters car do we?
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 3:11 pm

Adding to all the inputs you have read.

Everything depends on your taste and preference.

Let me share 3 things....

#!) Maruman Conductor iron used to be the iron set played by last year #1 Asian Tour champion. Juvic Pagunsan.

He is now using everything PING.

So is it a good choice. Yes if you believe it to be. What matter most is how you feel. Specially if you are a "Feel" golfer

Bubba Watson, 2012 US Master Champion is a feel golfer.

#2) X 14 Callaway is a good iron set. Maybe the shaft is too stiff or heavy for you. In my country. There are many senior golfers who are using X 14, and X 16 set.

#3) Buying a second hand set is the best choice for a Beginner. So you are doing the right thing.

I have seen a lot of parents who would buy brand new golf set or newbies who buy brand new one's and tried learning Golf. And after a few months would give it up.

They would then say. "Golf is not my game, or I am not a born Golfer"

What I am deriving is, its best you used a good old set and try to learn it. When you are determined and have developed a good swing from a good golf coach. Then if you think you need to buy a brand new one. Then do so.

But for the meantime, wait patiently and try to learn the fundamentals well. If you have learned to love golf. Go ahead and Buy what you want.

For you are the captain of your ship!

Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
mabash
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks for the further discussion and advice, it's very helpful.

Made a mistake earlier, meant steel shaft not iron shaft, obviously I'm still a serious newbie.

I'll keep the tips in mind and continue trying out the clubs until I find one I like.

So far I find that most times I swing a club and like what I feel, I find that it's a graphite shaft. It doesn't have that 'sting' on impact, like with steel shaft probably cos I'm still hitting the ground before the ball. I did find the X-14 too heavy for me, my wrists and hands tense up and have a death grip cos I think it's going to fly out of my hands.

I feel more confident searching for a suitable set of irons with all this input, thanks bros.
Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kengnam

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Err...I'm thinking...do you really know what that so call feel. confused
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:07 pm

mabash wrote:

Made a mistake earlier, meant steel shaft not iron shaft, obviously I'm still a serious newbie.

I'll keep the tips in mind and continue trying out the clubs until I find one I like.

So far I find that most times I swing a club and like what I feel, I find that it's a graphite shaft. It doesn't have that 'sting' on impact, like with steel shaft probably cos I'm still hitting the ground before the ball. I did find the X-14 too heavy for me, my wrists and hands tense up and have a death grip cos I think it's going to fly out of my hands.

I feel more confident searching for a suitable set of irons with all this input, thanks bros.
Actually graphite hit further than steel but only thing with steel, it's more accurate. But nowadays, technology, they can made graphite so hard that felt like steel and steel so soft that felt like graphite.
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 8:20 am

mabash wrote:

I just start golfing a few months ago. This phase of hitting the ground first will soon pass, just keep hitting. Focus on the swing. I guess that's about it, your body will automatically want to exert more force when you feel more confident with your swing. The feel of sweet spot on the club, for me its almost like I didn't feel the impact of the club and ball at all.

I started with X-18(NS Pro) and shortly after ~one month, decides that I need something lighter as I can getting tired quite easily especially at range when you hit 100-200 balls in a shorter time frame as compared to playing a game of 18 holes. I guess you can say that I am weak. Thereafter I went for a set of Fourteen (graphite stiff, CB). My choice was mainly governed by the looks and "feel". After making the purchase, I realized that these jap clubs have sightly different design and being graphite slightly longer. (Initial I thought that mattered) But being newly purchased, I was determined to make it work, if not it would be a of waste money. lol.

My take away from this experience echos what the senior golfers have advised. Go for what you like, otherwise you will be blaming others for the "bad" choice you have made, or blame the "lousy" club for the bad shot. Besides it makes the wanting to make it work would be stronger.

My half cent worth is that, if you have a set right now. Train with that, if you have nothing currently you might want to look at what your coach recommended. For those sets steel shafted, I feel it really helps to activate the muscles involved in a proper swing. At the same time your arms will be tired faster if you are using your arm power rather then rotating your torso, giving you a indication. Also, I find that it helps with getting the shots straight as well, as the head is heavier *or something like that* it automatically closes the face after impact during the follow through, making the swing more complete. Also if you are getting a set, understand the difference between cavity back vs blade. Make an informed decision.

Back on the topic of maruman, I really love their driver and woods. For someone like me having issues even hitting it off the deck initially. Tried my friend's R11 and also Daiwa, no joy. I guess their clubs might be too advance for me. Some senior golfers recommended maruman to me, took the leap of faith and got a driver(EI series SR 10*), afterwards FW3(conductor SR) and FW5(EI series) soon came into the bag rather quickly *no complains, sound/feel/high MOI, easy to launch*. So far, it is quite shiok to hit and satisfaction from that makes the game more enjoyable.

But I have yet to come across a set of maruman irons that I can test, so can't really help there. You may want to consul the experienced golfers here if the deal is fair, i.e. price vs what clubs you are getting in return. I just think that being new to the sport, tendency to pay "tuition fee" and overpaying is quite a common occurrence.

Is your budget meant for irons or irons + driver + FW + hybrids(if required) + putter? If the rental isn't expensive, I would rather continue renting different brands just to test out the sets. Until you are sure you want to settle for a certain set. Then again, it would make bad business sense to allow that? In my opinion you might grow out of the regular graphite shaft rather quickly, and want to reduce your dispersion.

Disclaimer: I am a bit bias for JDM stuff, even if the club heads are manufactured in china and later assembled in Japan. LOL... Embarassed

P.S. all my sets are pre-owned/second hand, I believe in recycling and also I am on a tight budget. Anyway who wouldn't love a good deal. For each set you buy brand new, you probably would be to change used sets 2-3 times over? Furthermore, some of the "outdated" clubs is quite a bang for the buck in the market place.

Newbie here, just sharing my experience. If there are any errors on information, please do point them out so that I can learn as well.

oh yeah, btw if you are interested in X-18 (5-P) I still have them. Intending to put them up for sale soon, but now it is with friend on loan. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Lastly, sorry for the long post. Just thought you might benefit from my experience and save some money which you can use for that very special equipment that just look so tempting but just doesn't make cents/sense. i.e. putter, shaft, bag or clubs.

Thanks for reading my rants. Keep Swing
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 8:23 am

oh my, didn't realize how i went on and on, hope i didn't kill the conversation Peace .
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 9:40 am

angyongshen wrote:
oh my, didn't realize how i went on and on, hope i didn't kill the conversation Peace .
After some times, perhaps u can try back your x-18. Btw it's not you are weak , it's just because you did not get used to the weight. Now you are a more experience, u can try it out again. start with the short irons 1st lah.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:59 am

Frederick wrote:
Good clubs...good choice. I believe in buying what u feel right. When we first got our driving license, we dun start off with 1liters car do we?

Yeah true. I started off with a 900+ litre car.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
steven_koh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
steven_koh

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:07 am

I ,m using Maruman CV3 now....personally i like it as been using for 4yr+
Still serve me well...u can try on the CV3 to get a feel on it..
Think now selling $600-700 brand new....
Still can remember i got it @ $1299 @ tranview *&^%^&
Back to top Go down
mabash
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 12:15 am

angyongshen: thanks for sharing your experience bro, it is helpful to hear from another relative newbie as well.

I don't have a set which is why I'm looking for one. I would continue renting but I feel like I spend the first 15-20 mins of my lesson adjusting to the new club I'm using, then after I get used to it can I concentrate on the swing proper. Which is why I decided to get a set so I won't have to mess around with settling into a new club every time I try to practise.

Usually go through about a 100 balls in an hour and I never hit more than that because my hands and wrists start to ache after that. I should mention that I have old hand/wrist injuries which limits me as well.

I like graphites because they leave me in little to no pain while with steel shafts, my hands and arms hurt. I find also that I like the lighter feel of graphites, maybe that will change as my swing stabilizes but for now it is what I'm most comfortable with.

My budget is just for irons. I was told that 500 for irons would get me a decent set but if I wanted to add a driver and putter to add another 200-300. Like all of you have mentioned, I don't need to put down so much money aince I'm just starting out and likely to change my preferences so I'm trying to keep everything under 700 though it looks like it's going to be a challenge.

700 for irons + driver + putter sounds reasonable to you? I want to get the bare minimum set first then add/change when I get better.
Back to top Go down
mabash
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 12:18 am

The price and the clubs sound good, I'll go check it out when I'm near a golf store

steven_koh wrote:
I ,m using Maruman CV3 now....personally i like it as been using for 4yr+
Still serve me well...u can try on the CV3 to get a feel on it..
Think now selling $600-700 brand new....
Still can remember i got it @ $1299 @ tranview *&^%^&
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maruman ok for beginners?   Maruman ok for beginners? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maruman ok for beginners?
Page 1 of 1