Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!

Go down 
+17
blee67
JawereZ
kian
mowen
asahi
mUAr_cHEe
LousyGolfer
DGman
missmoon
mojojojo
dmateo
daveaha
Tituman
pushslice
Duval_S
Technospaz
Schulo
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! Empty
PostSubject: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Have been reading for the last years, but when I saw Adriaan Herman creating an account I could not resist the temptation and created my own account.

OK, a little background on me and my game. I am from the Netherlands and in my early 30's. I have been playing for the last 10 years. I started during University in the Netherlands. Hcp 27.4 when I moved to Singapore 5 years ago. Did not play the first 3 years here, but picked it up again during a weekend at Batam.

Currently trying to break 85 at Palm Villas before the end of the year (1 of the easier courses). My method of getting there? The afore mentioned Adriaan Herman. I have been taking lessons for the last 2 months and have improved my game a lot. Irons are much more consistent and my mindset has completely changed. Current hcp would be high 10's, low 20's on occasion.
On average I am playing 3 rounds per month, but I would like to bump it up a bit.

What do I expect from GR? Nothing besides the fantastic forum it is already...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Hello Schulo! Welcome to the Golf Republic Smile

Breaking 85? Wow!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Technospaz wrote:

Breaking 85? Wow!! Smile

Ya lah! But, I have to say "trying"... Scored 87 1 time and a couple of times 90 now.
The round of 87 I had 3 3 putts, so I know I can beat 85.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 3:49 pm

welcome...welcome !!!!

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 3:50 pm

hi there! Welcome!

I studied at Erasmus in 2002-2003, the canteen food was really bad Laughing (think cold sandwiches and fried frozen stuff put inside a hot dog bun, and a pseudo mee goreng)....just kidding. Other than that, had great fun. Dutch college girls are hot! What a Face

Do come and join our range session at MBGC if you can.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Schulo wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Breaking 85? Wow!! Smile

Ya lah! But, I have to say "trying"... Scored 87 1 time and a couple of times 90 now.
The round of 87 I had 3 3 putts, so I know I can beat 85.

Awesome... using "lah" certainly makes you a GR'ian Smile

Scoring 87... well... that puts you in Div 1 Wink
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:08 pm

pushslice wrote:
hi there! Welcome!

I studied at Erasmus in 2002-2003, the canteen food was really bad Laughing (think cold sandwiches and fried frozen stuff put inside a hot dog bun, and a pseudo mee goreng)....just kidding. Other than that, had great fun. Dutch college girls are hot! What a Face

Do come and join our range session at MBGC if you can.

Food in NL... please don't start! I am not a big fan of MBGC range, they tend to overcharge a bit... But will try to join in next time.
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Technospaz wrote:

GR'ian for sure Very Happy , Singaporean almost 50% now... Have been around for 5 years, so the ang moh feel is long gone! Localized ready cheers
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Schulo wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

GR'ian for sure Very Happy , Singaporean almost 50% now... Have been around for 5 years, so the ang moh feel is long gone! Localized ready cheers

Can eat durian or not Wink
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Schulo wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Ooooh...I like.. Very Happy

titu
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Tituman wrote:
Schulo wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Ooooh...I like.. Very Happy

titu

I also like ! Very Happy

WELCOME !
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Technospaz wrote:

I have 1 thing to say: "King of Fruits"!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Schulo wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

I have 1 thing to say: "King of Fruits"!

You da man! Smile
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Wah can arrange for durian and golf trip in johor.

So what do you think contribute the most on your drop from the 90's to the 80's ?

Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:41 pm

So what do you think contribute the most on your drop from the 90's to the 80's ?

Back to top Go down
mojojojo
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
mojojojo

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Welcome Schulo!! I like it too man!!
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi Schulo,

Welcome here!
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:59 pm

dmateo wrote:

One of my colleagues actually has her own tree, but it is more towards Melaka.

Ok, back to golf now...

Beating 100 is easy. practice a bit, have a good shot from the tee and have a solid shortgame will do the trick.
Get from 90's to 80's is a different trick I believe. Adriaan has helped me a lot there and I am now right at the point that I need to get lower scores consistenly.

1) Focus on easy goals, such as proper set-up, grip, backswing (shake the hand concept, set the club etc.) and tempo.
2) Don't go for the awesome shot, but take the easy way. In other words, focus on the fairway instead of bombing every shot to reach the green. If you are confident that you can hit 150 meters straight, why would you take a 3 wood and try to hit it 200 meters to the green with the risk of getting OB or in the water? So, course management is key to lower scores in the long run.
3) Be consistent! Be consistent in your swing, your pre shot routine, your club selection. Every shot is a shot and even if you are putting for double par, you still need to focus exactly the same way as if you were putting for birdie.

Last but not least! The bets way to reach lower scores is (drumroll...) lessons! Go to your pro and get more lessons. I absolutely gained the most from the video analysis that Adriaan does +/- every two lessons!

Anyways, as said before I am trying to get to 85 at Palm Villas! Played Ria Bintan and Horizon Hills last month as well and it is safe to say that those courses are not good for my self-esteem! High 90's on both courses, so my wife was dealing with a grumpy guy the whole weekend Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 5:24 pm

very good tips, thanks for taking the time to explain that.
I specially like the "be consistent" part as it does reflects a lot on me.

I played the best golf score in my life with an injured back muscle (not due to golf but due to deadlift in gym). I think other then concentration to form, I don't exert a lot of power on the swing which leads to consistency.

I'm recovering now and I can see my ball start to fly left right center again in the range. Gotta relax and believe in the club, and yourself and keep the tempo constant for all swing.

Funny when you say Ria bintan, I have one of my best game there. Anyway, good to have you hear and looking forwad to meet you in person in one of the SSN sessions.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 12:30 pm

After some disappointing rounds, I finally scored a round of 88!
My goal is finally in reach again, breaking 85 before the end of the year.

Played Palm Villa (as usual), IOI + Putra course.
1 triple bogey, 4 double bogeys, but also 8 pars!
I can still improve, because I reached a par 5 in 2 and then 4 putted...
Also missed a 4 feet birdie putt at one of the par 3s and had a couple of ugly sliced approaches.

The feeling of breaking 90 after a disappointing month is however great!
I have to thank Craig at Big Fish for this round, since he gave me some awesome feedback on my swing speed. It is really great to understand the match between the equipment and my swing!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 12:38 pm

we will make sure Craig gets your message....

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:35 am

Whao,,, 8 pars and 1 eagle chance on your par 5... you should be playing the low 80's man (technically, if you gotten your eagle and just bogey the rest of the holes, you will just nice reach the 70s). Maybe should have a game with you soon to get some insperation.

Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 11:35 am

LousyGolfer wrote:
Whao,,, 8 pars and 1 eagle chance on your par 5... you should be playing the low 80's man (technically, if you gotten your eagle and just bogey the rest of the holes, you will just nice reach the 70s). Maybe should have a game with you soon to get some insperation.

Well, I played Legends last week and was lucky enough to score below 100...
Shot a bloody 9 on a par 5! Legends is darn long by the way, did not expect that!
Again, Palm Villa is definitely the easiest course I play, so any other course means at least 5 extra shots per round!

After the disappointment of Legends I recovered with a round of 90 at Palm Villa, without a real effort I would say.
It was more or less a fun round, where I tried to go for birdies instead of pars, which resulted in some great holes, but also some lousy ones. Next goal is to recognize on which holes I can go for the flag from outside 150 meters and on which holes I have to play more conservative.

Give me a couple of months and I will start to join in with some gr'ians on the course!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 11:44 am

bro....to join us, you need not be a single handicapper lor. Unless you want to play in the premier league Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 11:57 am

pushslice wrote:
bro....to join us, you need not be a single handicapper lor. Unless you want to play in the premier league Very Happy

I know leh, but want to play at least more consistent cos I sometimes get very frustrated and will not enjoy the game enough at that time... (+ I like to beat people Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!   Reading reading reading and finally.... posting! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reading reading reading and finally.... posting!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next