Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To Divot or not to Divot

Go down 
+13
solarpop
Lee36328
Derek
asahi
mtbdude74
Birdman
tronos
golf_snowman
mizzy
TourSwing
Duval_S
pushslice
Winston
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:39 am

Birdman,

It is not actually a full shot divot, it is more like the club cutting into the turf, leaving a "flap" as there is not really a follow through. Like chankol. no grass flying around.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 3:09 pm

OT .... Bro Winston ... do u know your avatar and signature have given Wilkang an eye infection?????
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Birdman wrote:
ROFL

No carpets in my place, but I've already smashed two light bulbs on the backswing!

I've taken off chunks of plaster from the wall and somehow the ceiling as well of my living room (full on driver swing), plus the ceiling fan gets a knock from time to time.

After repainting the house and repairing the damage, I am more careful. So far so good, touch my 3-wood.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 12:16 am

Winston wrote:
Birdman,

It is not actually a full shot divot, it is more like the club cutting into the turf, leaving a "flap" as there is not really a follow through. Like chankol. no grass flying around.

Same attack angle as full shot divot, just not enough force to complete the full divot, that's why got flap lor. I also kena before. Too steep oredi. Chip shot should complete the arc, that is, have a follow through. I may be wrong but is your your chip shot rhythm is a jerky punch type action? Same tempo and rhythm back and through may be better.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 12:29 am

Lee36328 wrote:
Birdman wrote:
ROFL

No carpets in my place, but I've already smashed two light bulbs on the backswing!

I've taken off chunks of plaster from the wall and somehow the ceiling as well of my living room (full on driver swing), plus the ceiling fan gets a knock from time to time.

After repainting the house and repairing the damage, I am more careful. So far so good, touch my 3-wood.

ROFL I am also more careful checking my entire swing arc in all directions before taking a full swing. The worst thing about smashing bulbs is cleaning up every shard of glass. No fun doing it while I'm fuming at myself. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Technically speaking, if you make ball-first contact in a correct manner, whether or not you take a divot is inconsequential isn't it? The ball would already have left the club face and what happens after that won't matter.

I'm no expert in the golf swing, but i will tend to agree that you're coming in too steep if you end up making that "flap" of grass. What kind of distances are you talking about anyway? If you're taking divots with a PW for a chip-and-run, then that's definitely weird. But if you're using a SW and trying to impart maximum spin on the ball to prevent any roll, then it's quite hard to avoid a divot.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 6:19 pm

solarpop wrote:
Technically speaking, if you make ball-first contact in a correct manner, whether or not you take a divot is inconsequential isn't it? The ball would already have left the club face and what happens after that won't matter.

Errr... not quite.

Short version - taking a divot or not indicates the angle of attack, which in itself makes a difference.

Long version - this is a juicy point to discuss, involving physics, my pet subject, but I am already late for the driving range answering another thread here. Arrggh!

Kidding. Laughing
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Winston wrote:
pushslice wrote:
so basically brother, you've just been duffing your chips lah..

same as I did before. Shorthitter gave me the fix. Can pm you but I want to wait till next Friday first Laughing

Actually, I have been doing fine with my "Straight back/ straight Through" swing. I was trying something new with "hinging" of the wrist and I just can't seem to do it consistenly. I guess I will just stick to what works best until next friday.......

You've probably already seen Phil's videos on hinge and hold .. heres another interesting one ... hope it helps

Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 3:12 pm

solarpop wrote:

I'm no expert in the golf swing, but i will tend to agree that you're coming in too steep if you end up making that "flap" of grass. What kind of distances are you talking about anyway? If you're taking divots with a PW for a chip-and-run, then that's definitely weird. But if you're using a SW and trying to impart maximum spin on the ball to prevent any roll, then it's quite hard to avoid a divot.

Chip and run to take a divot i know will be really really weird. however, outside the fringe and chipping in, my divots are slightly bigger than a $1 coin. There was a time where whereby I was taking the flap thing alot, and also divots were the sixe of a mars bar. Finally managed to take a $1 coin size divot 75% ont he time now.

My instructor was teaching me to always hit "under" the ball...
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 5:11 pm

just asking cause i have not played in many local courses...but in the videos and many others, their rough outside the green is quite flat and they demo always on a nice flat ground, while our local courses i played in are all sloppy, many times chipping at steep angles, only at the edge of the green it is flat where its easier to putt most times.
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
solarpop wrote:

Errr... not quite.

Short version - taking a divot or not indicates the angle of attack, which in itself makes a difference.

Long version - this is a juicy point to discuss, involving physics, my pet subject, but I am already late for the driving range answering another thread here. Arrggh!

Kidding. Laughing

I don't disagree.. notice i included the term "in a correct manner"
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Does ball position determine if you take a divot???

Some shots you play with the ball right of centre.

Some shots you play with the ball left of centre.
Back to top Go down
Shaggy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 4:44 pm

Take a divot ( shallow one ) if you can. It shows you are hitting down on the ball.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 5:20 pm

solarpop wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
solarpop wrote:

Errr... not quite.

Kidding. Laughing

I don't disagree.. notice i included the term "in a correct manner"

I noticed that.

Whether or not the ball is hit in a correct manner, and even if you make ball contact first, taking a divot or not taking a divot still makes a difference to your ball flight.
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 6:05 pm

[quote="Lee36328"][quote="solarpop"]
Lee36328 wrote:
solarpop wrote:

Whether or not the ball is hit in a correct manner, and even if you make ball contact first, taking a divot or not taking a divot still makes a difference to your ball flight.

I am incline to go with the above idea ..however I also understand that there are other ways to chip.

Just a case in point:if it is a very small divot for a chip (ball first contact) as compared to a huge divot on a chip(also a ball first contact). The latter seems uncomfortable and not pleasing to the eye and perhaps a fly higher and further distance...As an opinion...
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:54 am

Some interesting videos.

Look at the turf flying.

And look at this; we tend to think the golf ball is quite solid, and will bounce sharply from a hard surface like steel. This shows otherwise.

Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Sometimes this kind of topic make me more confused pig

My idea is just to get the ball as near as possible to the pin with as minimium theory as possible but when I start getting all these "technical" term like spin, angle of attack, bounce, etc into my mind, it's the time I start taking money out of my wallet.

I like to think chipping as an extended swing from putting swing, I know it's too simple but it work for me...... who cares? drunken

One question: What is chipping, what is pitching? scratch
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Quote :
jimmychoo wrote:
Sometimes this kind of topic make me more confused pig

My idea is just to get the ball as near as possible to the pin with as minimium theory as possible but when I start getting all these "technical" term like spin, angle of attack, bounce, etc into my mind, it's the time I start taking money out of my wallet.

I like to think chipping as an extended swing from putting swing, I know it's too simple but it work for me...... who cares? drunken

wah idol #4...I realized I not only want to play to your std...I also want to think like you.......

to your question....I had given up asking coz I still don understand...nowadays, the only thing I want to know..is how far fm hole...
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:26 pm

jimmychoo wrote:

An easy definition I heard is this:

Chipping - ball spends more time rolling on the ground than flying in the air.

Pitching - balls spends more time flying in the air than rolling on the ground.

But the distinction is not an absolute one; the distance may require something in between.

The Tiger Wood video above may be more of a short pitch than a long chip, despite the title.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

That gives an excellent visual picture of the difference in ball flight between the two ... one could also supplement that thought with a visual on the swing:

Chipping - club head remains well below wrist level going back,

Pitching - club head rises to and often above wrist level (generally due to the degree of hinge going back)
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:00 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

That gives an excellent visual picture of the difference in ball flight between the two ... one could also supplement that thought with a visual on the swing:

Pitching - club head rises to and often above wrist level (generally due to the degree of hinge going back)

I cant pitch to save my life because once I cock my wrist too much, all sorts of funny things happen. So what i do is to basically place the ball further forward of centre and use a "shipping" swing. Almost same outcome...
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:30 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

Am I right to say the following?

Putting swing - a small swingthat usually does not go beyond 45* on back swing and follow through

Chipping swing - a swing that may go beyond 45* but within 90*

Pitching swing - a swing that may go beyond 90* but within 180*

Here another question rise, "Are all swing the same?"

And what is a flop? Is it one type of the pitching shot?

Last edited by jimmychoo on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

That sounds good too. Thanks for that.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 5:18 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
TourSwing wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

Am I right to say the following?

Putting swing - a small that usually does not go beyond 45* on back swing and follow through

Chipping swing - a swing that may go beyond 45* but within 90*

Pitching swing - a swing that may go beyond 90* but within 180*

Here another question rise, "Are all swing the same?"

And what is a flop? Is it one type of the pitching shot?

Are all the swings (chip, pitch, full) the same? That is an excellent question.

When the swing becomes smaller, the rules become less rigid, although rules do help.

As long as the stroke gets the ball to do what you want, and is consistently repeatable, no one can fault it.

Whatever delivers the clubhead to the ball consistently, at the required angle, is the final objective.

However, in a purist sense, the reverse is true.

You still want the same impact conditions, for instance, but with some modifications.

For example, in a chip, accumulator number 2 is essentially zeroed out. Don't panic, not as complicated as it sounds. It means you don't cock-uncock the left wrist; substituting unrequired power for added precision.

What is the flop shot?

Well, it's certainly one of the shots in the short game. Obviously you want to launch the ball with a high launch angle and plenty of spin to make it fly over an obstacle and land softly without much roll.

It's akin to a pitch shot, with added wrist action for increased spin.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Luckily in the game of golf, i dun have to tell the opponent that i going to chip or pitch my shot....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To Divot or not to Divot
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next