Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To Divot or not to Divot

Go down 
+13
solarpop
Lee36328
Derek
asahi
mtbdude74
Birdman
tronos
golf_snowman
mizzy
TourSwing
Duval_S
pushslice
Winston
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

To Divot or not to Divot Empty
PostSubject: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:38 am

Just to check;

For chipping, do you take a divot or not??
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 8:43 am

I do not. Scared of duffing.

Just to check: is that what i think it is?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 8:46 am

I am more of a sweeper motion and such, very unlikely i take divot....if take divot means finish liao...ball within putter length fm original position..

the reason for sweeper motion is that I like to keep the ball low....more confident that I can get on green.....the question then remains is only how far fm hole ...hahahaha

Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 8:52 am

TGIF
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 8:58 am

One should hit down on the ball, and make ball first contact. Therefore, the divot should be after the ball. However, one should also ensure they do not come in too steep, as that will reduce the margin for error (fat and thin shots). Suggest you replace the word divot with something milder, e.g. scuff or scrape the surface
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:04 am

ahh, if you call it a scuff or scrape, then yes I get those, if I want some check on the ball.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:10 am

Winston wrote:
Just to check;

For chipping, do you take a divot or not??

bro,

for your avatars.. i will plough..

seriously.. chipping is a delicate and touch shot.. taking a divot is too much..
but if you feel your confidence is better to to get more steep so that you don't skull the ball, then its much better to be confident with your shot.

getting steep for s chip gets the ball running more when it lands.
shallow will let you land the ball softer and get the ball higher, it won't roll out as much if you get it right.

:p
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:38 am

i would say it depends on where your ball lies ....

if the balls is on fairway, very close to fringe, you have a good lie, then most likely, a divot is not necessary because you dun need to really go down deep .

but imagin if there is a steep slope next to the green and that is the rough and tha ball is inside the rough...i guess you would really need to get the ball out, then that might require you to make a divot .
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 1:39 pm

how to take divot with chipping?
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Actually, I end up taking divots because most of the time, I end up with an uphill lie. And also I have learnt that I am suppose to hit "down" on the ball. Most times I end up not exactly divot but I end up "digging" into the turf.

Pushslice, What are you thinking about???

Last edited by Winston on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:13 pm

If by divot you mean the same as with a full iron shot, then that would be too much. Should be more of a scrape where the brown roots of the grass are exposed or you just barely see the earth underneath at most.

Personally, I find that sweeping the ball takes more touch since there is no backspin and the ball runs out more. Because it requires precise contact with the ball at the very bottom of the swing, this technique runs the risk of blading or duffing the chip. Then that vicious cycle of lost confidence and fear sets in to actualise the self fulfilling prophecy of more chips becoming tops and duffs.

A descending blow for ball fist contact imparts backspin since the ball rides up the wedge. This, for me at least, allows the ball to check on the first bounce, then release a metre or so to the hole. I find it allows for a more aggressive play at the hole and offers more control. Admittedly, the hard part is getting this technique down pat, and it does require practice and confidence in your chipping. But once I think once you've had it a taste of it, you wouldn't have it any other way. Trying to work hard at getting it back myself since I don't play and practice often enough.

Either way, I find it's important to keep the body turning through the chip instead of just using the arms or hands. My key to ensure this is that at the finish, the butt end of the grip points to my left hip. If it points to the right behind me, I've flipped my hands and not turned with my body.

Last edited by Birdman on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Winston wrote:
Actually, I end up taking divots because most of the time, I end up with an uphill lie. And also I have learnt that I am suppose to hit "down" on the ball. Most times I end up not exactly divot but I end up "digging" into the turf.

some shade of brown? albino
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:27 pm

pushslice wrote:
Winston wrote:

some shade of brown? albino

no no no...I vett all of it properly. Don't want the cyber police to come knocking on my inbox again.... White Flag
Back to top Go down
mtbdude74
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Whatever you guys do with taking a divot or not, don't do this!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056328295
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:37 pm

ROFL

No carpets in my place, but I've already smashed two light bulbs on the backswing!
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Birdman wrote:
If by divot you mean the same as with a full iron shot, then that would be too much. Should be more of a scrape where the brown roots of the grass are exposed or you just barely see the earth underneath at most.

As what you have written, that is exactly what I mean. To add on, how do you prevent from digging into the ground? I mean, I have been trying to learn how to hinge my wrist more when chipping but I find it very difficult. I guess i just don't have the "feel" to do it consistently. I guess I just have to stick with my "Straight back, straight Through" swing for chipping
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 4:09 pm

so basically brother, you've just been duffing your chips lah..

same as I did before. Shorthitter gave me the fix. Can pm you but I want to wait till next Friday first Laughing
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 4:34 pm

pushslice wrote:
so basically brother, you've just been duffing your chips lah..

same as I did before. Shorthitter gave me the fix. Can pm you but I want to wait till next Friday first Laughing

Actually, I have been doing fine with my "Straight back/ straight Through" swing. I was trying something new with "hinging" of the wrist and I just can't seem to do it consistenly. I guess I will just stick to what works best until next friday.......
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 8:25 pm

Holy smokes!!!!

Great pics!

Errr, and btw, dun be too concerned with divots.

Pwah! Beat pics by far!!!!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 8:40 pm

We only get to see the pics, U were there twice already!! geek

Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Birdman wrote:

Hiaz....the pics are making me plan for a 3rd trip sooner than I Thot.

I miss my head's shampoos and massages.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:45 pm

asahi wrote:

Hiaz....the pics are making me plan for a 3rd trip sooner than I Thot.

I miss my head's shampoos and massages.

lol!

Which head?????? ROFL
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Birdman wrote:

aiyah...come come....don't be shy.....
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 12:03 am

Winston wrote:
Birdman wrote:

aiyah...come come....don't be shy.....

Face to face with all these girls right in front of me... how not to be shy?

I still remember a belly dancer doing her thing right in front of my face while I was sitting on the ground. The blood rushed to my ears till I felt my face was on fire. I couldn't take it after 10 seconds and have to cover my eyes and kept repeating deliriously "my mummy say cannot, my mummy say cannot." Embarassed

Yet.... you are tempting my Winston. Smile
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 12:27 am

Winston wrote:
Birdman wrote:

As what you have written, that is exactly what I mean. To add on, how do you prevent from digging into the ground? I mean, I have been trying to learn how to hinge my wrist more when chipping but I find it very difficult. I guess i just don't have the "feel" to do it consistently. I guess I just have to stick with my "Straight back, straight Through" swing for chipping

Wow, if you're taking full shot divots with just a chip, you're definitely too steep coming down. Possibly why you're digging in. Can't tell why or how cos haven't seen you chip. Best seek expert help.

Hinging of the wrist I find is also contingent on other factors like setup and grip. If both are done right, hinging on plane should not be an issue. Like Phil said, you must hinge and hold. But I would add that it's hinge, hold, and turn through (with the body). Since most of us mere mortals would interpret 'hinge and hold' as hinge and jab into the ground, or hinge and flip (the hands).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Divot or not to Divot   To Divot or not to Divot I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To Divot or not to Divot
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next