Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Newbie buying clubs, need advice

Go down 
+10
daveaha
botak
Roystonnn
DGman
SIMBA
Ssquirrel
Technospaz
Duval_S
Lamts18
Apprentice
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Apprentice
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Apprentice

Newbie buying clubs, need advice Empty
PostSubject: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 5:24 pm

Dear all,

I just started on my golf journey for 3 months and am looking for a set of golf clubs. I'm currently using one which is on loan from a relative.

Just wondering, if I should go for fitting (e.g at BFG) and search for the right clubs or just buy a set of clubs that I like and have it fit to me?

Also, for putters, how do we get fitted first? I'm confused by mallet, mid-mallet, traditional. I've tried them all but I think I like the mallet type the best but am not sure if I should get fitted first too.

Thanks for entertaining this newbie!
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:04 pm

You can always drop by at BFG for a look see .... but getting fitted now before your swing is stable will in my humble opinion is not advisable... Hope you are seeing a golf coach for swing lessons .... get a second hand game improvement set which is readily available and once you have found your swing , get fitted with the set that suits you...join us for meet-ups and you can see so many swing variations out there ... The basic mechanics is similar but you just have to find your own swing that suits you... I am not a good player and this is just my 2 cents ... Hope you don't mind .. Cheers and enjoy the game ...

Perhaps the other Gurus here can offer you better advice .. Swing
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Just to add on... there a wealth of information you can gather here ... anything you not sure , just ask ... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:51 pm

My 2 cents: Reality is there is no one golf set that can lasts thru out. So if one is a beginner (real one hor)...my humble recommendation is just to go with those off the shelf 'super super forgiving clubs' based on the budget which you had allocated.

After the lessons + course experiences,....then here comes the shiok part.....'The pursuit of THE equipment'.....this is where one will really search for the best eye-suited, swing suited etc etc..

For me, I am still with my std off the shelf club...so I think you know my std of play.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:54 pm

I think Rocky has a set of Callaway X-20s which he's selling. Great set for beginners. Very forgiving and easy to use.

I'm thinking of selling mine too... MP-52s are tempting.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:57 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I think Rocky has a set of Callaway X-20s which he's selling. Great set for beginners. Very forgiving and easy to use.

Bro-Tech, when you are ready to buy, pls let me know.....my hands + backside also itchy liao....maybe we can do collective bargaining....ala en-bloc style
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 10:08 pm

In general for beginners, I would suggest to buy a decent 2nd hand set, maybe 1-2yr old model..Skip the club-fitting for now until you get a more consistent/repeatable swing.

But if you have the money and will only feel happy with new/fitted clubs.. then go ahead..
Ultimate goal is to have FUN! Very Happy

For putting.. buy what looks good, and appeals to you..try out at the stores, feel the weight, length, design etc... then pull the trigger and buy!
hahaha...

Have fun... and ask away.. we'll answer if we can.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SIMBA
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 10:13 pm

Totally agree with my SIFU the TSS. Go get a second hand set bro then get lesson when u improve then go customise a set that u like. U gonna love it man woo hoo. When the buying get started u cant stop lol
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 10:30 pm

Apprentice.....unless there are physical constraint like you are 6 ft 4 inches or you are a body builder or suffering from other physical condition - a hand me down or an inexpensive set should suffice for now.

Your coach should also be able to give you some advice, but if your coach volunteers to sell you clubs, i would advise you to consider carefully and ask for opinions.

i think getting a 7 iron for your other half is an excellent idea.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:10 am

LostSoul wrote:
Totally agree with my SIFU the TSS. Go get a second hand set bro then get lesson when u improve then go customise a set that u like. U gonna love it man woo hoo. When the buying get started u cant stop lol

I recently got my PC and have liked the game very much until..
when the buying start. Like LS says.. it's difficult to curb leh..
My CFO likes to shop which I usually, thought to myself that - what's there so many to shop?

But now, whereever I go, if I pass by golf shop, I will walk in and take a look, touch touch abit.. but then tell myself - cannot buy. keke.

Get a cheap 2nd hand set 1st (this forum has alot of sellers).. if u like the game, u will start thinking to change the club to even "beautiful" ones.
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:16 am

Technospaz wrote:

If you're thinking of selling, can I have first right of refusal?... provided you set is not some super pro set-up like extra stiff shaft, lie angle and loft all tweak to pro specifications
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:22 am

Technospaz wrote:

Bro,
if you want to try Mp52, I just got mine. Let me know if you want to test drive my 52...
I feel that mp52 is great, but not as sweet as mp57. Missed that great set....
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:24 am

U can try my MP57... its great.. definitely sweeter than MP52.. Laughing
I tasted it.. dun worry..
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:32 am

Roystonnn wrote:
U can try my MP57... its great.. definitely sweeter than MP52.. Laughing
I tasted it.. dun worry..

Evil or Very Mad

duh

Evil or Very Mad

I went to few GH counters to enquire about mp57 without any avail... I even made direct enquiry to RSH about it... also no result...

bo bian lor... mp52 - and I'm happy with it White Flag
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:50 am

AHhaha!
Can la.. MP52, I tried oni once at golfhouse..
Frankly speaking, during the time I bought, I cun really tell the difference on the feeling between both models.

But hearing people say 57 is better, I just grab it lor.
U wait for me la.. if I ever change played so welllll.. I changed to blades, I sell u lor. keke.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:04 am

Wow !!! good clubs ... i trying to learn how to hit the MX200s ... so Pro ... you all ... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:07 am

kekekekee...
actually somehow I can feel the (little) diff between 57 and 52. Really hit the sweet spot, 57 is muchhh.... owww... swweeetter.... but ok lah, I have no regret in buying 52. Hopefully it can improve my game and confidence....
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:09 am

as for me , i feel nothing .... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:15 am

hey mr lam i'm just trying out my mx200s as well! in fact i'm heading down tmr night to use them! they still virgin haven't touch golf ball yet. haha tongue
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:25 am

Lamts18 wrote:

Mr. Lam, I shd rephrase my words...
shd be "IF" hitting the sweet spot...

but rarely... hehehehe cheers
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:26 am

the MX200s is a more forgiving club ... slightly larger than MP52 or 57 ... esp more forgiving on toe hits .... you'll wont regret, Bro Ironfist ... With your iron hand, you'll hit them well in no time... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:28 am

daveaha wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:

Mr. Lam, I shd rephrase my words...
shd be "IF" hitting the sweet spot...

but rarely... hehehehe cheers

hehe .... dont fret , you will .. just practice .. swing 80% and dont force... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 8:00 am

Thanks all. So, let's see if I got this right:

1. Botak wants first right of refusal to pick up my X-20s.
2. DS wants to chiong the Mizzies together to see if we can get a better deal.
3. Dave doesn't mind me touching his MP52s.
4. Roystonn doesn't mind me touching his MP57s.

So much love, bros. Thanks Smile

MP57s? Ooh. Perhaps the MP58s when they come out? Wink
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:07 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
the MX200s is a more forgiving club ... slightly larger than MP52 or 57 ... esp more forgiving on toe hits .... you'll wont regret, Bro Ironfist ... With your iron hand, you'll hit them well in no time... Very Happy

my iron hand also good for a lot of other things! elephant Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:10 pm

ironfist wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:

my iron hand also good for a lot of other things! elephant Twisted Evil

That , I am sure ... Very Happy Beer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie buying clubs, need advice   Newbie buying clubs, need advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie buying clubs, need advice
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next