Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?

Go down 
+8
missmoon
Birdman
DimWit Kid
93vtec
wilkang
samT
Lee36328
Dream
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dream
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Dream

totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? Empty
PostSubject: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi,

I know nothing about golf but love to pick up the basics... its been a long time dream for me to learn golf since young but have no opportunity then... and in recent years, i m experiencing inconsistent eyesight blurness that set me back... What pushes me forward now to action is hoping to learn the sport asap as my right forearm n thumb are beginning to lose the sence of touch too... M i still up to learn golf? Will there be a coach willing to take up a greenhorn like me?

Have a wonderful week Smile

thanks
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 9:33 am

Dream,

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to this magnificently obsessive addictive madness called golf.

Not sure from your post why your eyesight is blur and you're losing touch in your forearm and thumb, but I believe where there's a will, there's a way. And for us, when it comes to golf, we mad golf addicts always find a way.

I have a friend had a buggy accident and found both arms in a cast. After a long bout of recovery and physio therapy, he could hardly raise his hands or walk straight. His friends though he'd never golf again. Months later, after daily driving range sessions, and I mean daily, he's back in the game, taking money off his friends.

Even today, he still can't bend the last two fingers in his left hand. Normal coaching can't help because none of the standard grip (strong or weak) or standard swing patterns work for him. But he's found a way to grip the club and swing anyhow. Pretty mean short game, 1-chip given regularly. Shot low 80's recently too.

So, do take up the game. You might find it's most therapeutic and you might be surprised what can be achieved.
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Dream,

If you are interested, why not give it a try? Go get a coach and just enjoy the learning for the time being. (if you are residing in SGP, you can search thru cos I think there were some discussions about local coaches here). No need to buy anything except a pair of gloves. If you like what you experienced, well and good, and progress from there. If not, so be it. At least you gave it a go. No regrets.
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 1:08 pm

It's never too late to pick up this addiction.

If you wanna have a feel of what it's all about, feel free to join our weekly golf range sessions at MBGC every Wed, from 8pm till late.
Back to top Go down
Dream
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Dream

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 11:50 am

Lee36328 wrote:
Dream,

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to this magnificently obsessive addictive madness called golf..........

.......... I have a friend had a buggy accident and found both arms in a cast. After a long bout of recovery and physio therapy, he could hardly raise his hands or walk straight.............

............ So, do take up the game. You might find it's most therapeutic and you might be surprised what can be achieved.

Hi Lee,

gd am...

thks for sharing with me ur experience... its much motivating after hearing ur friend's determination n passion in Golf... i would love to be an addict like u guys too Smile

hve a great weekend...
Back to top Go down
Dream
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Dream

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 12:01 pm

samT wrote:
Dream,

If you are interested, why not give it a try? Go get a coach and just enjoy the learning for the time being. (if you are residing in SGP, you can search thru cos I think there were some discussions about local coaches here). No need to buy anything except a pair of gloves. If you like what you experienced, well and good, and progress from there. If not, so be it. At least you gave it a go. No regrets.

Hi SamT,

thks for ur advise...

Yes, i m residing in Sgp... n hope not to give headaches to any coach here if i can find one Smile

I was still wondering what i have to buy to start off my 1st swing n u hve provided me just the info i needed... thk u...

n yes, i get u... Live NOT to regret Smile
Back to top Go down
Dream
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Dream

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 12:09 pm

wilkang wrote:
It's never too late to pick up this addiction.

If you wanna have a feel of what it's all about, feel free to join our weekly golf range sessions at MBGC every Wed, from 8pm till late.

Hi Wilkang,

Thks for the invitation... just feel alittle embarrass to join u guys without knowing a single bit abt Golf, clubs nor even the balls... perhaps, before i can find someone willing to coach me, the thing i can do right away is to start peeping fr far Smile

Enjoy ur weekend...
Back to top Go down
93vtec
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Will recommend to get a coach so you get the basics right from the start. You should be able to use your coach's clubs for a start, and he/she will also be able to advice you as you progress, on golf equipment purchase (shaft type, head type, specific model recommendations, etc).

Good luck! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Dream
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Dream

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 8:55 pm

93vtec wrote:
Will recommend to get a coach so you get the basics right from the start. You should be able to use your coach's clubs for a start, and he/she will also be able to advice you as you progress, on golf equipment purchase (shaft type, head type, specific model recommendations, etc).

Good luck! cheers cheers

Thanks 93vtec...

U r right... A coach is a must, just hope i wont give much heachaches to the coach Smile

I believe all coaches will give me their professional advice, the only concern i have is myself... As i totally hve no idea abt what u just mentioned "shaft type, head type, etc", will it be too hard on any coach to bear with my condition and still hve to brief me everything fr the very basics? Or is there any other "homework" i can start on myself now inorder to ease some headaches i may bring upon my future coach?

Hope u had a wonderful Good Friday...

Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 9:23 pm

LOL...club heads, shafts etc are level 5 addiction.

We at GR will be most delighted to let you be addicted to at least level 3 and thereafter will join us side by side in our ultimate quest.
That is to enjoy a good round of golf with fellow GR'ians.

Join us next wed and we will arrange an orientation for you.
Beers included... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
DimWit Kid
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DimWit Kid

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 9:44 pm

Hmm this is new. What is level 3 then?...

After orientation, do we newbees get to know those two with you on your profile photo wilkang? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 9:51 pm

wilkang wrote:
LOL...club heads, shafts etc are level 5 addiction.

We at GR will be most delighted to let you be addicted to at least level 3 and thereafter will join us side by side in our ultimate quest.
That is to enjoy a good round of golf with fellow GR'ians.

Join us next wed and we will arrange an orientation for you.
Beers included... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Eh eh eh..... First time I see you offer beer, or more correctly beers, while welcoming a newbie to Starry Starry Nite. ROFL

Hands up, anyone else who ever got beers from Wilkang the first time they met him at Starry Starry Nite?

I don't see any hands.... do you? ROFL
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 9:55 pm

DimWit Kid wrote:
Hmm this is new. What is level 3 then?...

After orientation, do we newbees get to know those two with you on your profile photo wilkang? Very Happy

Sorry to disappoint you DimWitKid, Wilkang has no idea how to get hold of the gals in the picture with him.. or does he? ROFL

But if you really want to, practice hard for the next GolfPunk Tournament. That's where you'll get to take the same picture with girls like Wilkang did.

That's motivation for you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DimWit Kid
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DimWit Kid

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 pm

I'm new to this forum, but having browsed a few photos here and in the facebook page... I began to form an impression of wilkang... I don't see him in photos without ladies...
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Dream, don't worry your pretty head with all the technical stuff for now. Pose your questions here as they pop in your head and I'm sure many will rush to your aid.

Going to see a coach as the clean slate you are is good, no room for confusion from well meaning but conflicting advice from other amateurs.

Understand that there are many different swing technigues taught by different coaches, as there are many different types of personal swings that are idiosyncratic and work for a certain individual and not you.

You will learn, and as you learn, you will find yourself more confused with this game of opposites and have many questions. Just find a good coach and trust in him, and the rest will fall into place, as your swing will.

Enjoy your journey into golf, and welcome to the dark side! Very Happy

p.s. it's still not too late to back out now... kidding! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:11 pm

DimWit Kid wrote:
I'm new to this forum, but having browsed a few photos here and in the facebook page... I began to form an impression of wilkang... I don't see him in photos without ladies...

Yes, he's always in a picture that's golf related, he does love his golf. Very Happy

I can swear that it's always coincidence that there's a lady beside him in the pictures, they somehow seem to walk in the frame when the camera goes off. Funny how it only happens to him. ROFL
Back to top Go down
Dream
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Dream

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi wilkang n all,

yes, i totally lost u guys on the levels thingy... u can imagine my eyes now rolling everywhere to get any clue on those levels 5 or 3 Smile pls pardon me, tis Golf Idiot...

n thank u... i m honoured to be invited by wilkang to the "starry starry nite" with beers Smile its probably a well-intentioned encouragement fr wilkang to let me feel comfy n make my 1st step into Golf...

thks all Smile

Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:13 pm

DimWit Kid wrote:

Really?? OMG!!
And that impression is???

But i am pretty sure i have pics with guys as well.
I think you focus too much on looking at the ladies... Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down
Dream
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Dream

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:21 pm

Birdman wrote:
Dream, don't worry your pretty head with all the technical stuff for now. Pose your questions here as they pop in your head and I'm sure many will rush to your aid......

....................Enjoy your journey into golf, and welcome to the dark side! Very Happy

p.s. it's still not too late to back out now... kidding! Very Happy

thks Birdman,

ur info n advise r very useful to me, "technically" is exactly what my concerns n fears Smile in fact, i probably dunno what silly questions i have posted n make a fool of myself here... So really appreciate ur initiatve to share with me what i fear to ask Smile

hmmmm... honestly, till now, i m glad i m one step nearer to the dark side Smile

Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Dream wrote:
Hi wilkang n all,

yes, i totally lost u guys on the levels thingy... u can imagine my eyes now rolling everywhere to get any clue on those levels 5 or 3 Smile pls pardon me, tis Golf Idiot...

n thank u... i m honoured to be invited by wilkang to the "starry starry nite" with beers Smile its probably a well-intentioned encouragement fr wilkang to let me feel comfy n make my 1st step into Golf...

thks all Smile

There is no level 5, 3, or whatever la.... just Wilkang playing his flute so you will follow him hoping he will enlighten you on the non-existent Five Levels of Golf Addiction. ROFL

He is very helpful to everyone here, sometimes more enthusiastic with certain others, depending on the whether new moon or full moon. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:29 pm

BM..i actually have my personal 5 levels hor...LOL

Level 1 - Trying to hit the ball
Level 2 - Trying to hit straight
Level 3 - Trying to hit far
Level 4 - Eqpt junkie
Level 5 - Custom fitting

Ultimate goal - To get on the greens as much as possible and enjoy a good game.

*Above are levels i went through, may differ from others* :p
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm still at level 1..
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:34 pm

Ur most welcome Dream.

We are not always right here, many are opinions or experiences from a certain individual's perspective. We are all still on our learning journey, the main thing is that we share, discuss, and enjoy friendship and golf.

And some lucky ones even get to meet famous Disney characters... right Wil? Very Happy

You are new to the game, nothing you ask is silly, it's to learn. And we'll help where we can, with pleasure I might add. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dream
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Dream

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:36 pm

hmmm.....

may i say...

In girls point of view, "that impression" shud only be :
wilkang must be an attractive man to attract such pretty ladies walking into the frame whenever his camera shuttles off Smile

its a compliment Smile

Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:37 pm

wilkang wrote:
BM..i actually have my personal 5 levels hor...LOL

Level 1 - Trying to hit the ball
Level 2 - Trying to hit straight
Level 3 - Trying to hit far
Level 4 - Eqpt junkie
Level 5 - Custom fitting

Ultimate goal - To get on the greens as much as possible and enjoy a good game.

*Above are levels i went through, may differ from others* :p

Eh, then you missed out one more level.

Level 6 - Trying to hit on............. ROFL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?   totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

totally clueless, but love to pick up this sport, can i?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next