Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Newbie starting out

Go down 
+2
Hogan
justinkohzx
6 posters
AuthorMessage
justinkohzx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Newbie starting out Empty
PostSubject: Newbie starting out   Newbie starting out I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi everyone. Found golf republic when i started searching for a coach to learn golf under. Previously went to the range to just whack a few balls for fun but decided this year to take it on seriously. Been through 8 lessons with my coach at Bishan at the Asian Golf Academy and have to say learnt quite a lot. Now confident with the irons(can fly a bit lah), short game a little on and off and woods are still a work in progress. Been traveling to Bishan as much as I can as currently slightly lull period at work Smile However have not been to the green yet and will be posted to Shanghai for the next 2 mths....

Anyone here has any tips how to still keep in touch with the swing (without bringing my whole set there of course) or any bros/sis in Shanghai willing to tell me where I can find a range there at? And how about equipment....

Thanks again to everyone and hope to catch some of you at Bishan/Sinmin some time. Cheers

Back to top Go down
Hogan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Hogan

PostSubject: Re: Newbie starting out   Newbie starting out I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 9:50 am

Golf in Shanghai quite expensive. If you have a big enough apartment, better buy one of those swing mat trainers and swing at home. Quite cheap in Shanghai.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Newbie starting out   Newbie starting out I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:33 am

but swing at home cannot see ball flight. other than actual course, nothing beats driving range for direction and distance management.
Back to top Go down
justinkohzx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie starting out   Newbie starting out I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 1:38 pm

Yea agree with you Gray. That's why asking friendly people here how to train while there. Just got my swing down and starting to feel more confident. Don't want to go there for 2 months then lose everything liao. Sad

On another note is it advisable to buy a set there? I'm currently playing with a set of ENA Golden Crane. Its a hand me down from my Dad who stopped playing cause of illness. Pretty light with graphite shaft. But feels a little too easy to swing. Any advice on buying clubs in Shanghai?

THanks again!
Back to top Go down
yang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yang

PostSubject: Re: Newbie starting out   Newbie starting out I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 1:46 pm

hey justinkohzx, mind to reveal what's your coach name in Bishan? I'm looking for coach too now..
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Newbie starting out   Newbie starting out I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 2:46 pm

In Shanghai, go and buy golf bags. Dont come home without one. Dirt cheap. real or not I dont know but dirt cheap. Looks real and honestly bag dont matter.

As for set, there are many threads in the forum. go find and read on whether to buy new, second hand or go fitter.

My advise is stick to your dad's set until you break 100 or close to breaking 100.
Back to top Go down
justinkohzx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie starting out   Newbie starting out I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:11 pm

Yang you got a PM. Hope to see you soon and maybe we can buddy up at the course and range!

Gray, been reading up on the various threads and there is a great wealth of info here on the club Smile Was just thinking if it was worth the effort buying in Shanghai as some bros here have highlighted that clubs like Mizuno might actually be MiSUno Shocked

Yup that's the plan too given I have NOT even gone on the greens yet Sad. Thanks for the advice though and i really hope to see all the "old birds" of this forum at some GR event soon man.
Back to top Go down
yang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yang

PostSubject: Re: Newbie starting out   Newbie starting out I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:47 pm

received your PM. thanks man
maybe you can buy misibehho in shanghai!
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: Newbie starting out   Newbie starting out I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 6:42 pm

Gray wrote:
In Shanghai, go and buy golf bags. Dont come home without one. Dirt cheap. real or not I dont know but dirt cheap. Looks real and honestly bag dont matter.

Agree, agree. RMB400-450 is around standard price for a tour bag. Remember to bargain hard.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Newbie starting out   Newbie starting out I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Forget about buying golf clubs in china. Trust me, I lived there. Real ones are expensive, cheap ones like in Xiang Yang market or those on Nanjing Xi Lu are fakes.

Buy your stuff here and bring over there.

Enjoy the real Kao Ya in China.
Back to top Go down
justinkohzx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie starting out   Newbie starting out I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 12:13 pm

pushslice wrote:
Forget about buying golf clubs in china. Trust me, I lived there. Real ones are expensive, cheap ones like in Xiang Yang market or those on Nanjing Xi Lu are fakes.

Buy your stuff here and bring over there.

Enjoy the real Kao Ya in China.

Thanks Bro PushSlice. Will eat more duck there for sure. Yea thinking about bringing the set there but don't know how to get a coach and go to the greens. Given that my swing is still pretty new (2 mths into lessons) I don't want to develop bad swing habits on my own.

So got it. Buy bags, don't buy clubs. If i see interesting ones there maybe I can post pics and ask people to order. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie starting out   Newbie starting out I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie starting out
Page 1 of 1