Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

starting out!

Go down 
+8
golf_snowman
Hogan
kevinhwc
axltan
tom201296
nientsu
Lee36328
korolev
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
korolev
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:10 am

hello everyone,

i've always wanted to give this a swing after having been brought to the range during nsf days by our boss. it turned out really fun for e fellow nsfs and i, tho our arms were aching towards end of the day. well that was almost 2 years ago.

lately, i chanced upon an opportunity to own an off season iron set+putter at a steel (steal, but not really i picked a graphite set). brand new! plunged into it without much hesitation (with some research).

now i'm just twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the set's arrival!

i live in hougang and my friend who lives in bishan area are planning to hit the range as soon as i receive my set. fortunately for me, he drives as i don't have a car. i hope golf will not become a reason for me to buy a car. Laughing

tho i'm turning 27, perhaps long due to start golfing.. i sibei thick skinned one. and will prob do enough range to finally decide on taking up lessons.

hope to get to learn, discuss, play together and make friends here Taylormade
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:13 am

Welcome to this crazy game. You will have an unbelievably good time.
Back to top Go down
korolev
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 am

thank you lee!
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 7:52 am

Actually, IMHO , u should take up lessons first instead of just swing at the range without proper coaching.
Back to top Go down
tom201296
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 8:29 am

Korolev, you should engage a pro to manage your swing. Only with a good swing you play good golf. Hence all things start from scratch. No worries abt car. I play golf on weekends ( at least three times) a month without car via friends and even arrange own paid transport. With a good swing accompanied with decent club will make wonders. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
axltan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 9:29 pm

korolev, I agree with nientsu and tom201296. If you're really serious about the game, start on the right footing by getting formal lessons. Don't form bad swing habits first and then try to correct them later with a coach. It will take you a longer time to enjoy the game if you don't start with formal lessons. I learnt it the hard way. That's why I know Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 pm

korolev,

I agree with the bros here. Start right! Get lessons first and don't develop "your" swing first.. it's difficult to fix it once you have developed a wrong swing (that's what my coach says)..

btw, I'm new to golf too!
Back to top Go down
Hogan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Hogan

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 8:48 am

If you like reading, maybe read up on golf swing theories. Books by David Leadbetter, Ben Hogan and other great coaches are classics. I appreciated what my coach was teaching after understanding some of these theories. But don't get confuse as there are many ways to swing a club. :-)
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:02 am

just to share my experience

i was like you before, start golf by going to range with a colleague..both of us were hitting balls for months without proper lesson, the mentality behind was to test if i like the game anot...

And finally, one fine day, i decided to move ahead to take up lesson, while my colleague decided to let it go.

During my 10 lessons, i was like kena left-right-center from my instructor, becasue i have so many bad habits i pick up on my own, and have to spend a lot more time to correct them. The worst part is after spending time correcting, and if there are no continue effort to practise in the range, the bad habbit will surface again

So now, always start off with propoer lesson with reputable instructor, there are some good instructor here in this forum...it is definitely worth spending the money than buying clubs...

last but not lease..Welcome to the forum and enjoy the game !
Back to top Go down
adrian2604
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
adrian2604

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:30 am

get a swing trainer iron...tats ho i started golf...it's my coach...heheheheh

http://www.medicus.com/index2.php
Back to top Go down
adrian2604
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
adrian2604

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:31 am

i have an improvised one. come by toa payoh range and i can lend u
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:50 am

that is one that i will avoid ....i call it "committ suicide" iron...imagin u swing and the iron head hit your head...sure die !!....haha !!!
Back to top Go down
korolev
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:06 pm

hi guys! i've been reading your replies but haven't got the time to reply until now!

man.. i am definitely convinced not to start off with the wrong swing. now i really have to look for both time and commitment to fit lessons in.

appreciate and thank you guys for the pointers!

does anyone recall offhand how much it is to take up beginner lessons?

thank you!
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:11 pm

korolev wrote:
hi guys! i've been reading your replies but haven't got the time to reply until now!

man.. i am definitely convinced not to start off with the wrong swing. now i really have to look for both time and commitment to fit lessons in.

appreciate and thank you guys for the pointers!

does anyone recall offhand how much it is to take up beginner lessons?

thank you!

maybe you would like to drop PMs to some of the pro here to check out the cost...
Back to top Go down
korolev
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 4:21 am

hello bros! i've just collected my irons + putter. will i need a driver for lessons? haven't had e time to look for shifus yet! will do that soon!~!~

getting excited! cheers
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 am

korolev,

Good move going for coaching right from the start.

It will speed up the process, and you get to have more fun when the swing works properly.

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
korolev
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 5:09 am

Lee36328 wrote:
korolev,

It will speed up the process, and you get to have more fun when the swing works properly.

Enjoy!

hey! are you usually up at such hours? do you work outside sg or another in sg but another time-zone?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 5:17 am

korolev wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
korolev,

Enjoy!

hey! are you usually up at such hours? do you work outside sg or another in sg but another time-zone?

Ha ha, no, I am in the same time zone, in M'sia.

I watch the golf tournaments live on tv a lot, and since they are usually in the US time zone, my body clock gets confused every now and then.

What about you, why r u up so late?
Back to top Go down
korolev
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 5:27 am

Lee36328 wrote:
korolev wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
korolev,

Enjoy!

I watch the golf tournaments live on tv a lot, and since they are usually in the US time zone, my body clock gets confused every now and then.

haha! im amazed!

i'm in sg. work in the exchange with one product pegged to london hours!

at this time, i'm usually at my 2nd glass of wine or pint of beer (depends), preparing to sleep ;p

the good thing out of this is that i get a life very much to myself.. and the bad part of it is...pretty much the same as the good part!

well it does make me look like im 35 (says everyone).
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 5:29 am

korolev wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
korolev wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
korolev,

Enjoy!

haha! im amazed!

at this time, i'm usually at my 2nd glass of wine or pint of beer (depends), preparing to sleep ;p

the good thing out of this is that i get a life very much to myself.. and the bad part of it is...pretty much the same as the good part!

Ah, that explains the odd hours.

There is a peace in the wee hours you don't get any other time.

No problem, when you get deep into golf, you'll open up a whole new social horizon. It's amazing how easy it is to make friends over golf.
Back to top Go down
korolev
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 5:36 am

Lee36328 wrote:
korolev wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
korolev wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
korolev,

Enjoy!

haha! im amazed!

Ah, that explains the odd hours.

There is a peace in the wee hours you don't get any other time.

No problem, when you get deep into golf, you'll open up a whole new social horizon. It's amazing how easy it is to make friends over golf.

mann.. how do u manage the amt of sleep you get?

yeah i have to agree on the serenity of the odd hours. i also watch a bit on what happens in the US from home.

its nice to receive replies even at such hours (=
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 11:43 am

korolev wrote:

yeah i have to agree on the serenity of the odd hours. i also watch a bit on what happens in the US from home.

Sleep sunny cheers

Like you I suppose. I sleep until I get enough. For example, just woke up. Going to the custom fitting shop after this to take a look at my swing.

Once you start golf, you might want to take it easy on the beer and wine. Your body (and your swing) will thank you. Very Happy

I stopped alcohol and smoking (cigars). And feel a lot better.

Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
korolev wrote:

Sleep sunny cheers

Like you I suppose. I sleep until I get enough. For example, just woke up. Going to the custom fitting shop after this to take a look at my swing.

Once you start golf, you might want to take it easy on the beer and wine. Your body (and your swing) will thank you. Very Happy

I stopped alcohol and smoking (cigars). And feel a lot better.

Just to add on to how golf turned an unhealthy lifestyle around, a friend if mine who used to own a 48in waist has shed off so much weight from going to the driving range on a daily basis that he is now sporting a 34in waist! Daily 300 balls and instead of daily happy hours, he goes to the range. When I first saw him at the range after losing touch with him for a year, I totally could not recognize him! He was actually the one who greeted me first.

As for myself, my drinking has been cut down by 90% and I tend to sleep at about 10pm because of my early morning 9 holes. I am a lot more healthier and more energetic and I have to thank this crazy game for turning my life around!!!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 3:22 pm

Waah... daily morning 9 holes. *tabik*

What a good life!
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
Waah... daily morning 9 holes. *tabik*

What a good life!

Start 7am, end 820am, get to work before 9am. Ok what... You can do it too if you want, bro.

OT a little here, I m thinking about trying the RSS swing because my right hand is just dominating my swing too much. Getting kinda tired of trying to restrict it.

Bro Lee, your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

starting out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting out!   starting out! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

starting out!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next