Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Practice pitching on mat?

Go down 
+13
weesern
pushslice
asahi
S70B
solarpop
alvin7379
piero
Slicer51
Birdman
Antgolfer
duffader
Duval_S
wilden
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:09 am

I think the critical pitch distance for me is around 20m - 60m which is impossilbe to find a place to practise those distances except for the driving range. So just have to made do with what is available.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:22 am

duffader wrote:
I think the critical pitch distance for me is around 20m - 60m which is impossilbe to find a place to practise those distances except for the driving range. So just have to made do with what is available.

agree! My favorite distance is 60m, a pitch with my 51 or 52 degree. I actually prefer this shot than a 10m chip.

Turf city has grass range. They are super soggy, have sidehill lies (ball above feet) and many bald patches of cow grass. But it's the closest we can get to practicing these shots
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:26 am

and how I miss those days..where I was handed this 6iron club...and I sweat under the sun in Seletar base range.....and balls all sit in funny lies coz its cow grass

short game is tough.....its a delicate thing....
Back to top Go down
piero
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:55 am

Actually have you guys tried your local park?

I practised at Punggol park before. Behind the park that is a mega field, can do pitching.

Only problem is its cow grass and length of the grass can be quite long at times.

Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 10:58 am

piero wrote:
Actually have you guys tried your local park?

I practised at Punggol park before. Behind the park that is a mega field, can do pitching.

Only problem is its cow grass and length of the grass can be quite long at times.

Erm.. be careful you don't get hauled in for vandalism of public property heh
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 11:04 am

Good point, solarpop!
If the land is demarcated as State Land, you go chipping there, keba spotted by on-the-ball mata, can be caught for trespassing/vandalism.
Warning for 1st time. Fine for subsequent.
Take care.
Back to top Go down
piero
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 11:19 am

asahi wrote:
Good point, solarpop!
If the land is demarcated as State Land, you go chipping there, keba spotted by on-the-ball mata, can be caught for trespassing/vandalism.
Warning for 1st time. Fine for subsequent.
Take care.

No stateland sign from the side I am at. Do know that they have a sign of the far side of the field. Never practice there though.

The Nparks pple more concerned about catching pple who are fishing illegally at the canals which is connected to the punggol reservoir.
Back to top Go down
wilden
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
wilden

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 11:14 pm

Got lucky yesterday at MBGC. First ever chip into hole. Luckily ball hit the flag stick and dropped into hole. Still quite bad in hitting on slope. I tried a few chips straightening my right arm at impact. Result not too bad. Not sure if it's good practice.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 11:52 pm

did u read what the small print on the sign says?? i ever read one that says this land is meant for community activities... not sure if it will be the same as the field u talking about
Back to top Go down
Casey KC
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 8:44 am

Best bet is to use any of the public executive course pitch/chip greens for practise. no worry abt mata spotchk.
Back to top Go down
photo-file
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 1:50 pm

unconventionally, i've manage to practise chipping at home with an old rug from ikea.
to cushion the ball impact, i've improvised a blanket over a pole as target.
distance from target is quite short to avoid accidents, my objective is to achieve proper stance, clean contact (prone to duffing) and confidence at the comfort of home.
with some control and minor adjustment, this is quite viable at home, provided u have some space and your family is not against it .... Very Happy

disclaimer: do it at your own risk, else please go to proper facilities.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 1:51 pm

Quote :
photo-file wrote:
unconventionally, i've manage to practise chipping at home with an old rug from ikea.
distance from target is quite short to avoid accidents, my objective is to achieve proper stance, clean contact (prone to duffing) and confidence at the comfort of home.
with some control and minor adjustment, this is quite viable at home, provided u have some space and your family is not against it .... Very Happy

u are officially nominated for the Hard Core Golfer list

hahahah
Back to top Go down
photo-file
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 2:01 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
photo-file wrote:

hahahah

it is quite a stress reliever, especially when u chip it sweetly shot after shot.
then u go to sleep with feeling good.

furthermore, most of the chipping facilities in sg are for members only, so why not do it at the comfort of home, just like putting.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Casey KC
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 4:36 pm

i wouldn't try this at home! if you are at a certain level, perhaps. can you imagine not controlling your strength properly!!
Back to top Go down
clarence.lim.cy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 5:36 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote:
photo-file wrote:
with some control and minor adjustment, this is quite viable at home, provided u have some space and your family is not against it ....

hahahah

Power!! how i wish i am allow at home. not even my putting mat!!!!
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 9:31 pm

This is what I used to do at home - use a cheap $2-3 rug (those made in china ones that bears a very uncanny resemblance those 3M car rug) at one end of my room, and an overturned umbrella on the other end (to catch the balls). I use the AlmostGolf foam balls and the feel is quite close to the real thing (except the weight is a bit light). Even if bounce off the wall, most of the impact would be absorbed.

The problem is I tend to duff my shots every now and then, and the cheapo rug already has a tear, still thinking if I want to get those small range mat , e.g. 1x2 foot with half a rough surface to practice chipping. But that would set me back $40.

Last edited by navik on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Casey KC
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 1:44 pm

Hmm, quite a good suggestion with the inverted umbrella. are the foam golf balls any good for practice? I never expected them to have the same feel as the real ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Practice pitching on mat?   Practice pitching on mat? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Practice pitching on mat?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2