Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

pitching wedge?

Go down 
+6
pushslice
jeffman88
TheFocalPoint
Technospaz
Duval_S
joshyo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:40 am

I'm a little confused lol. People have been saying that Ur PW is 47/48 degrees. But when I check online, for mizunos the PW in my bag is at 44 degrees. So.. I guess 48 would be Ur gap wedge then.? Cuz I almost threw my stock PW outta the bag for a SM3 48* cuz I like the feel better...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:46 am

someone once said....does not matter what degreee....can land near the hole is a good wedge.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:48 am

I play 5-9i and don't use my stock PW, which I think is also a 44. I carry a 48, 54 and 58 instead. The combo works for me Smile
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 12:02 pm

Hmm. Actually I find that I don't really need my stock PW. It just gives me a little bit more loft than my 9 and doesn't check much. Maybe I'll consider getting a 46 if there is such a loft lol. 46,52,58 sounds good? But I really love my current SM3 56* that's the problem.. how how. Any suggested combos guys.

Thx for Ur reply technospaz.
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Paralysis by analysis.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 12:12 pm

TheFocalPoint wrote:
Paralysis by analysis.

haha.. i like that.. first stage of poisoning
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 12:15 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
TheFocalPoint wrote:
Paralysis by analysis.

haha.. i like that.. first stage of poisoning

Already quite poisoned by the BFG irons and now the Wedges! wtf! If i was working. Next pay cheque goes there! LOL! So many good reviews of the BFG irons. And i so want the Steel Fibre. Cool siol. haha!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 12:41 pm

bfg irons PW is 46.

so your existing 52 and 58 will do just nice.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Or, you can just get the wedges bent.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Duval_S wrote:
someone once said....does not matter what degreee....can land near the hole is a good wedge.

i certainly do agree.

Have a golfing friend who buys different brand of wedges.

From Cobra, Mizuno, Titleist, Callaway, Cleveland, Ping, Fourteen, Solus to Yururi wedges.

But everytime he chips or make a pitch shot. He either makes a "shank" or pulls slice.

Whether your Pw is 44, 45, 46 or 48 deg. It doesn't matter.

What matter most is how accurate you can swing your Pw to the target.

I have seen golfing caddies who can used graphite shaft or steel shaft wedge and hit it real close to the hole. Be it Pw, Aw, Sw or Lw

Thats why its important to practice our wedge shot
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 5:55 pm

Hmm. I'm not being picky for the sake of being picky here. I want specific lofts so even if my current pw gets replaced I can know how much swing for my different distances. I play a lot by feel so having to feel out my distances over again is time wasting for me. Once I determine the correct loft on my pw l just stick with it.
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
EastCoastHack

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 6:09 pm

FWIW and I'm one of the least experieced guys here so take it with a grain...

My Cally Razr X PW is a 44 loft/the SW a 54 loft. My plan is to leave the stock SW at home and get 48/52/56 wedges which gives me 4 degree spacing from my 6 iron up. The Cally GW and LW of the same series have 5 degree spacing (49 and 59 respectively) in relation to the PW and SW.

Picked up the 52 and 56 today and will be heading to the range later Smile.

Also FWIW I looked at the Cally forged, Vokey SM4s, and the forged '588s. None of them cheap but I want to get the "new gear" thing behind me ASAP so I can focus on the game. I went for the 588s.
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 6:13 pm

What's FWIW? Yeah wanted to go for 4* gaps btwn my wedges but if it exceeds club limit might just go for 6* gaps.
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
EastCoastHack

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 6:28 pm

FWIW = For What Its Worth

Last edited by EastCoastHack on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 6:42 pm

joshyo wrote:
Hmm. I'm not being picky for the sake of being picky here. I want specific lofts so even if my current pw gets replaced I can know how much swing for my different distances. I play a lot by feel so having to feel out my distances over again is time wasting for me. Once I determine the correct loft on my pw l just stick with it.

You can try using your wedge with quarter, half and full swings.

That should give you varying distances.

Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:56 pm

What's FWIW? Yeah wanted to go for 4* gaps btwn my wedges but if it exceeds club limit might just go for 6* gaps.
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:02 pm

nientsu wrote:

You can try using your wedge with quarter, half and full swings.

That should give you varying distances.

Yup I do that for my wedges, even smaller than quarter swings. I guess its also about how much chip and how much roll I get off the different lofts. I use mostly a 56 and my stock pw for wedge game within 100m gonna add more to my arsenal soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ngjw89
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:06 pm

the OCD in me tells me that having equal loft gaps is the way to go, but in reality, it's the distance that matters (if you use your wedges for full swings, that is). at the end of the day, whether you have 2, 3 or 4 wedges with whatever lofts, there will always be in between distances, and there's no escaping that..so i tell myself to work on my short game instead
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Wedges besides having the varying types of quarter half and full swings also hv the ability to backspin the ball to control distances
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 11:42 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
Wedges besides having the varying types of quarter half and full swings also hv the ability to backspin the ball to control distances

Still playing with the backspin on my 56* so many variations. so much fun. so little time lol.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 12:07 am

joshyo wrote:
jeffman88 wrote:

Still playing with the backspin on my 56* so many variations. so much fun. so little time lol.

must remember to clean the grooves on e wedges after skinning the balls for maximum efficiency hor... cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

pitching wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: pitching wedge?   pitching wedge? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

pitching wedge?
Page 1 of 1