Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putt, chip or pitch & run?

Go down 
+7
solarpop
ariesou
weesern
Duval_S
LinLauPeh
jaketang
Technospaz
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Putt, chip or pitch & run? Empty
PostSubject: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 5:02 pm

Just wanted to get feedback on what is your preferred approach when you are about 4-5 feet (maybe more) outside the green. I know that putting is tricky especially if the grass in front of you is tall but I've tried it before especially when the hole is near. Alternatively, if the hole is further away, I prefer a pitch & run perhaps because I'm not as confident with my wedge to tackle a chip. I used to be able to control my 60˚ pretty well but suddenly, the love has gone so now I take a 7i or 9i to pitch & run.

Any thoughts? What are you comfortable with and what do you find most effective?
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 5:06 pm

bro, i think all oso depends on the "grass" where the ball lie.... and in between the ball n hole...

finally, pick a shot tht u can execute 8 out of 10 times....

to me, i dun like surprise.... unless u specifically train on certain shots, there's no miracle in golf course... at least it won't happen when u need it most or expect... Smile
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 5:19 pm

My contributions... very individualistic.... a lot depends of one's comfort level...

If one can see a good line to the hole and he/she can putt well, I guess putting is the solution, also considering what Jake had mentioned... the gress... However, his/her putting is not as idealistic while he/she is confident in chip&run, then the latter should be executed... if the ball does not get into the cup but within a putter's length, no putting would be required thereafter, simply add another stroke.

Above was taught by a single handicapper.... not me of course! hehe.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Thanks folks. I agree that it's very individualistic. It all boils down on what you're comfortable with. I just wanted to know what people preferred.

I would also agree that a lot depends on the lie and the "gap" between the ball and the hole, not to mention the distance. There's no single perfect shot for all situations.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 5:34 pm

Wah....from the intense training I gotten by watching Golf Channel and reading 'The Golf Magazine'...the rule of thumb is ...if there is a lot of green ...then chip and run....if not much green...bo pian..chip ......if play link-type course...then putt

Now....that is theory..the difficult part I am struggling is how and which iron to execute based on the above.....so bo pian lor...I have no choice but to keep watching and reading... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 5:43 pm

i only chip with my 60*. Knowing the amount of roll and landing area will help you get nearer to the hole
Back to top Go down
ariesou
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 6:03 pm

I would use a 3 wood to chip.

Excusez moi. How to post video?
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 6:20 pm

What's a pitch and run...?

Usually if you pitch, it means there's an obstacle (bunker, depression/high ground, flower bed, etc) you need to clear and after that you would normally want the ball to stop.

You chip (and run) when you're just off the green and the grass makes it unsuitable for you to putt.

Whenever possible, putt. In these situations, it's highly unlikely you can put the ball closer to the pin with a chip.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 9:25 pm

solarpop wrote:
What's a pitch and run...?

Usually if you pitch, it means there's an obstacle (bunker, depression/high ground, flower bed, etc) you need to clear and after that you would normally want the ball to stop.

You chip (and run) when you're just off the green and the grass makes it unsuitable for you to putt.

Whenever possible, putt. In these situations, it's highly unlikely you can put the ball closer to the pin with a chip.

Thanks for correcting the terminology. Well done.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 11:43 pm

A pitch and run is a shot where you have some height on the initial trajactory that probably flies 50-60% of the shot but still have run for the next half when the ball lands. Its played with your PW, SW or LW.

Its also something alot of amateurs should know how to play since they dun use proV1s and thats why they tend to run their chip/pitch shots well past because they are focusing on the hole and not the ideal target landing spot.

A chip and run is played where the height is just enuff to get it landing on the start of the green and rolling all the way next. It can be played with anything from your LW to your 5i or even a 3wd.

A flop shot is a higher and riskier shot where the ball has max height and min roll. Its played with the clubface really open at address and the lie of the ball should have some room for your clubface to slide under (unless you are as skilled as Philly Mick).
Back to top Go down
Horsepower
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:05 pm

If the ball is around the fringe of the green, my experience is chip in or pitch in is better. I tend to have problem with putt in because once the ball leave the thicker grass and drop onto the green, the direction of the ball could change due to the bounce. Secondly, it is not so easy to estimate the strength to use to putt in because oh the thicker grass at the fringe.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:59 pm

On a flat ground, my PW flies about 50% (onto the green) & rolls out 50% of the distance; whereas my SW flies about 60% or 70% & rolls out the rest. So i choose the shot to play according to how much i need to carry to the green & how much green to play to the hole. My 8i will, of course, get the ball airborne for only 30% of the distance, then roll about 70%, which is good for shot from just outside the green with a lot of green to work with.

When i started playing golf, i didn't understand why pros are using less lofted clubs around green & higher lofted clubs further away. After a while, I understand the concepts.

However, how well you can execute those shots still depends on the amount of practice you put in. So practice, practice & practice... Fact is we should put in the equal amount of time for this portion of the game versus the time put in for irons & woods combined. But we are all guilty of not doing enough, cos we just love the feeling of our woods ripping the balls to 200 m & more. 8)
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 5:34 pm

there is a new advocate for putting with hybrid for such shots... in theory, the head shape of hybrid will be less caught by the grass for a clean stroke (as compared to irons) and the low cg is able to pop the ball out for a good roll on the green (as compared to putters.... saw one pro did it on last night golf channel...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putt, chip or pitch & run?   Putt, chip or pitch & run? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putt, chip or pitch & run?
Page 1 of 1