Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putt first or chip first?

Go down 
+2
Technospaz
LinLauPeh
6 posters
AuthorMessage
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

Putt first or chip first? Empty
PostSubject: Putt first or chip first?   Putt first or chip first? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 4:02 pm

Recently during a game with my friends, I had the following encounter:

There were 4 of us in the game.

3 balls were on the green while one (Player A) is just outside the fringe.

My ball, being the furthest on the green was about 18 feet away from the hole while the ball which was out of the green was about 14 feet away from the hole.

I waited for Player A to chip in but then I was told that the new PGA rulings states that the furthest ball go first regardless of On or Not.

Is this true? Can someone verify this?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Putt first or chip first?   Putt first or chip first? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 6:01 pm

I've not heard about that rule. Based on what I know, all players must be on the green before the putting starts. So, what you did seemed right to me. I too would've waited for the player who was not on the green to chip in first before I take my putt.

Have the rules changed in this regard?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Putt first or chip first?   Putt first or chip first? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 6:54 pm

It is not a new rule, it is golf, furthest from the hole goes 1st, if player 1 20 feet away on green and player 2 15 feet away in bunker player 1 goes 1st.

To speed up play we bring all players onto green 1st to save taking flag out putting it back etc, but if you were playing matchplay and player 2 went 1st he would lose hole.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Putt first or chip first?   Putt first or chip first? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 7:13 pm

Rule 10 Order of play. During play of a hole, the ball farther from the hole is play is played first.

In match play, if a player play out of turn, there is no penalty, but the opponent may immediately required the player to cancel the stroke.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Putt first or chip first?   Putt first or chip first? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 8:42 pm

Now I know why the PGA rejected my application to play on the tour.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Putt first or chip first?   Putt first or chip first? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 9:48 pm

Indeed the one furthest from hole will play first, regardless of where the ball is. In match play, if a player plays out of turn, the opponent can either accept or ask the player to replay from the last position.

LinLauPeh, your friends all bet big big one is it? So strict with rules. Scary man.
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Putt first or chip first?   Putt first or chip first? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 2:29 am

shorthitter wrote:
It is not a new rule, it is golf, furthest from the hole goes 1st, if player 1 20 feet away on green and player 2 15 feet away in bunker player 1 goes 1st.

To speed up play we bring all players onto green 1st to save taking flag out putting it back etc, but if you were playing matchplay and player 2 went 1st he would lose hole.

Yeah... guess that's what most of us practise and nobody actually notice this rule.... probably we all got so used to ensure everyone on the green first.... cos it feels so weird for player 1 to putt first removing the flag, then put back the flag again for player 2 to come in.... hhmmmmm....... Putt first or chip first? 293543
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Putt first or chip first?   Putt first or chip first? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 2:31 am

nutty88 wrote:
Indeed the one furthest from hole will play first, regardless of where the ball is. In match play, if a player plays out of turn, the opponent can either accept or ask the player to replay from the last position.

LinLauPeh, your friends all bet big big one is it? So strict with rules. Scary man.

Yeah.... Rp1000 per hole? hahaha.... lol! I'm scared too! Laughing
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putt first or chip first?   Putt first or chip first? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 2:58 am

another scenario.....

if player A is 20 feet short of green, whereas player B is 30 feet over green,
so player A play 1st?
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Putt first or chip first?   Putt first or chip first? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 3:02 am

jaketang wrote:
another scenario.....

if player A is 20 feet short of green, whereas player B is 30 feet over green,
so player A play 1st?

Bro, think your mind is too tired.... you mean player B play 1st in your scenario izzit? Laughing
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putt first or chip first?   Putt first or chip first? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 3:13 am

no leh... coz i ever saw before tht although player B is further, but he is over the green...

whereas A is short of the green, so he shld play 1st...

hahhaa maybe u r right, i m too tired... nite bro...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putt first or chip first?   Putt first or chip first? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putt first or chip first?
Page 1 of 1