Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch

Go down 
+4
kevinhwc
Technospaz
pushslice
nebo_81
8 posters
AuthorMessage
nebo_81
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
nebo_81

Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch Empty
PostSubject: Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch   Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 11:14 am

Hi everyone ...
Still very new to golf .... and need some advice.

I'm thinking of getting a new iron set and have been reading reviews, but .... being new ... it seems like most reviews are about how good the club/set is .... Hence I'm unable to discern which is right for myself.

Could I kindly ask for help...
Callaway Diablo Vs Callaway X20
or
Taylormade Superlaunch

Last edited by nebo_81 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch   Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 12:10 pm

hi nebo

if you want to find out what is right for you, unfortunately asking an online forum will not provide good answer. Fit is determined by testing the clubs yourself and only you can decide which one looks or feels better.

that said, both are game improvement clubs. You are very new to the game, so cally sets should be good for you. Pick one that meets your budget or looks nicest to you. I played X-20 as beginner and they were very helpful. Havent played diablo before.

If I were you, I would ensure my budget can fit an iron set (5i to PW is enough), a good 52 and 56 degree wedge (e.g. TM Xft only $99), a good and forgiving 460c driver at 10.5 degree loft (e.g. second hand Ping G10, Cleveland Hibore or Launcher, Callaway Diablo or Diablo Edge driver, TM r9 460), a soft putter (Cleveland classic or Odyssey white hots are less than $100 or pre-owned TM Rossa series).

and I would ensure i have enough money to pay for 10 hrs lessons, preferably individual Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nebo_81
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
nebo_81

PostSubject: Re: Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch   Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks Pushslicw.

Took a trip down to kaki bukit today ...
now also considering he TM Burner Super launch

So many to choose from ...
yet I dont wanna buy something den regret later ...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch   Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 9:55 pm

I used to play the X-20s. Very nice and easy to use clubs. Not difficult to handle and frankly, quite forgiving. Come to think of it, I kinda regret selling them off.
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch   Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 4:41 pm

GD only carries steel x-20. Otherwise, would have already bought. Now left with superlauncher .... burner 09 R flex out of stock also... left with S only... not sure if S suits me...
Back to top Go down
jocheang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch   Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 4:58 pm

hi nebo81,

i just started playing golf in july last year and i bought a set of x20s from creative golf at tanjong pagar for $500 second hand. they are not the same x20s that are being sold at golf direct now brand new for $400. they are the first generation one that features a true bore club head and the shafts are NSPRO stiff shafts, not the uniflex shafts that have gotten mixed reviews..

i'm thinking of selling off my current x20s to get a new set of game improvement irons.. to be absolutely honest the x20s are not in great shape, prob a 5/10 condition but it does the job and they are a great set for learning golf with.. they're designed specifically to hit the ball straight and it's amazing how quick you improve with these irons.

so i would suggest getting the x20s! great clubs. but if you're interested in getting a set at a low cost just to learn with first, without caring so much about the look of it, and then going on to invest in a good set once you've got a swing grooved in, do drop me a PM .. would be happy to discuss more!

all the best!
Back to top Go down
klt8144
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
klt8144

PostSubject: Re: Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch   Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 5:23 pm

hey bros.. I have a set of X22, just bought 3 months back and had tried couple of time, switching back to my Mizuno ,,,anyone ineterested? Pls pm me if keen...
Back to top Go down
James1301
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch   Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 5:52 pm

More important than the clubs is getting your swings, short game and putting with a good foundation, ie, with a professional with at least 10 to 20 lessons and hitting 150 to 200 balls a week. It can be an old old set, but make sure it's forgiving (perimeter weighted) and NOT the blades. After 3-4 months of at least once-a-week driving range and 5-6 golf games, you will be in the position to decide for yourself - which club looks good on you, swings shiok, hitting it straight and feels the current up your heart when you hit great shots 3 out of 10 times. More important is also hitting it where you want it and not to expect a 250m straight drive 5 out of 10 yet. Tiger Woods probably had a lousy set to start off with as a boy, but i stand corrected.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch   Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Nebo_81, The Diablo Edge and Superlaunch are classified as Super Game Improvement clubs. The most visible evidence of this is their extreme offset and very wide soles (almost hybrid-like ). They are not the prettiest, but the easiest to hit and launch, targetted at mainly those starting the game or infrequent golfer. Getting these makes your game easy right from the start, but as you progress further in the game, you may find yourself outgrowing these irons in time to come, hence a change of iron sets.

The X20s though older (cheaper too), are game improvement irons. It still has offset and a wide sole, though not as much as the other two. It could take you longer to master these irons, but it's a good all rounder set that could last you for much longer till you are a mid handicapper. Lookswise, they are handsomer too. The X series of clubs from Callaway has always been very popular, from way back when they had the X14s to 16s, 18s, 20s, 22s, and 24s. You can't go far wrong with the X20s even though they are a few generations old, they're still a very solid set of irons for the beginner to mid-handicapper.

Hint: Sometimes, the latest is not always the greatest. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch   Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Callaway irons (Diablo, X20) Vs TM Superlaunch
Page 1 of 1