Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chipping Mishits

Go down 
+10
Tituman
Winston
golfool2009
mloy
wilkang
asahi
golf_snowman
alvin7379
Duval_S
pushslice
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Chipping Mishits - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping Mishits   Chipping Mishits - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 10:52 pm

asahi wrote:
Yo BM, these are very sound advice handed out; just like the one you told me at OCC.
Chipping is more consistent since then.

Very Happy

I just re-gurgitating all that I have read, coupled with my own experiences. More than happy to help bro. Very Happy

Time to aim for chip-ins bro. You'd be surprised how times it can happen or come close to happening if you think that way. Visualisation is the secret. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Chipping Mishits   Chipping Mishits - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Thanks BM. My current pro coaches similar as you do, thought i want to have some discussion on chipping for the benefit of forumers, incl myself.

GF, Jhan gave me that same tip, and i forgot about it till your post. Thanks.

My takeaway would be to think less, trust my routine/technique, and be more target bound.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Chipping Mishits   Chipping Mishits - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 pm

You have to be positive.... anything negative.... walk away and restart...

From the words of the fully monty.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Chipping Mishits   Chipping Mishits - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 pm

Birdman wrote:
asahi wrote:
Yo BM, these are very sound advice handed out; just like the one you told me at OCC.
Chipping is more consistent since then.

Very Happy

I just re-gurgitating all that I have read, coupled with my own experiences. More than happy to help bro. Very Happy

Time to aim for chip-ins bro. You'd be surprised how times it can happen or come close to happening if you think that way. Visualisation is the secret. Very Happy

hehe.......well, even if dun get it in, am pretty sure can get it near pin for 1 putt too. cheers
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Chipping Mishits   Chipping Mishits - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 11:09 pm

You bet! Very Happy

Swing good putt
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Chipping Mishits   Chipping Mishits - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 pm

One more thing I found out. at the end of you back swing, stop for just a little before starting your down stroke. It works wonders.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Chipping Mishits   Chipping Mishits - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 11:28 pm

everytime i see winston posts, i stopped for a while to look at his avatar...works wonders too Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Chipping Mishits   Chipping Mishits - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:02 am

golf_snowman wrote:

given the case that there is no duffing and skulling, and you can strike the ball sweet, how to you control your distance ? afterall chipping is not about how far u drive the ball, but is how 'zun' you are to get the ball close to the hole

Bro, I can think of three ways right now to gauge distance control, all work, just which suits you. And who's to say you can't take what works best for you from each system and combine it into one uniquely yours.

1. One swing, different clubs - This school of thought aims to keep it really simple with just one chipping swing. Same backswing, same strength every chip; it's the different clubs that determine the whether more carry or more roll. This works well for those that don't practice or play often. The caveat is that there must still be some practice to familiarise yourself with how much each of the different clubs carry and roll with just that one swing. The downside is that this a very one dimensional way to chip, and does not encourage creativity. Imagine if Phil Mickelson chipped this way, we'd never see that famous backward flop of his.

2. Clock and 4 Wedge System - Short game guru Dave Pelz advocates this. Simplified, if the club at setup is the 6 o'clock position, then the quarter swing will be 7.30 o'clock, half swing 9 o'clock, and full swing 11 o'clock. Play this with 4 wedges, and you have 12 different distances automatically. This system works well for the more technically inclined with room for a variety of high and low shots. Strength adjustment is easily visualised by picking any point on the clock between 6 and 11 o'clock.

3. One club, different swings - The preferred way of the shotmaker and very much based on feel. The advantage is that you are playing with that one favourite familiar club. Knowing how the ball always reacts off that one club allows for imagination and creativity to craft spectacular shots that may even amaze yourself. The downside is that you can crash just as spectacularly if your feel deserts you, Phil has demonstrated that well enough over the years. To develop feel, take your stance without a club and just hold a ball in your right hand. Practice swinging your right arm and releasing the ball in a lobbing motion to a target or into a basket. That same feeling is what you want with the club in your hands. How much strength you use to throw the ball to a target with your right hand is how much to use when chipping, simple as that. I am most comfortable playing chips this way with my three wedges, the lob, sand, and pitching wedge.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Chipping Mishits   Chipping Mishits - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:16 am

pushslice wrote:
Thanks BM. My current pro coaches similar as you do, thought i want to have some discussion on chipping for the benefit of forumers, incl myself.

GF, Jhan gave me that same tip, and i forgot about it till your post. Thanks.

My takeaway would be to think less, trust my routine/technique, and be more target bound.

Me no coach la Panji, just what I read and what works for me. And I agree, discussion is always good for everyone, including myself, since it reminds me of what I forgot.

And yeah, Golfool's tip works very well, I use it especially when I'm not chipping well. Makes it much easier when the club is resting more on the toe with the heel off the ground.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Chipping Mishits   Chipping Mishits - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:19 am

Winston wrote:
One more thing I found out. at the end of you back swing, stop for just a little before starting your down stroke. It works wonders.

Yeah winston, works wonders for every swing from chip to full swing, that pause allows for a proper transition from back to downswing. Takes away that jerking, lurching motion that kills the swing. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chipping Mishits   Chipping Mishits - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chipping Mishits
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2